Heym 88

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hunted
US
Some of you wanted to see how my Heym 88 PH shot after I just got it. Well after a month of rain I finally got out today and shot it. Bear in mind I have never shot a double rifle before so here it is. The group is to the right 3 inches. It didn't take me long to see why. From the factory the rear sight is to the right and not dead center on the rib. Actually..I was glad because when I tap it over to center it should shoot dead on. For my bad eyes I was happy with the elevation and grouping at 50 yrds with Hornady ammo. You pros tell me what you think. Thanks! The bottom left and right was first group. The top left and right was the second. Now the question is how far to left to drift rear sight.

heym 88 grouping 002.jpg

Heym, that is an outstanding group at 50yds for an open sighted double.

Sorry I can't help with advice for how much you will need to shift the sight over
as I do not know what Heym provides on the rear sight base in term of graduations of adjustment, but remember to do it carefully and gradually.

Some, and i repeat, only some, of the horizontal shift MAY be a simply result of the difference in the "hold" (of the gun) between you and who-ever regulated the rifle.
The balance, most, will be the rear sight position.

Elevation and grouping is as good as you have a right to expect it to be from a properly regulated double rifle.

Congrats on a great shooter,..... look out buffalo !!!

I can't help with site adjustments but the rifle is giving a great group for open sites. You certainly have sub "minute of buffalo" or "minute of jumbo". Congratulations on your new rifle.

Hey PaulT,

I have just gotten my Heym 88B Safari. Do you keep the gun cocked while not in use or you unlocked it? How do you unlocked it though? I take the foreend, barrel and action/stock apart for storage, but it is cocked once I break open the gun. Thanks.

Stan

Hey PaulT,

I have just gotten my Heym 88B Safari. Do you keep the gun cocked while not in use or you unlocked it? How do you unlocked it though? I take the foreend, barrel and action/stock apart for storage, but it is cocked once I break open the gun. Thanks.

Stan

Hey Stan, how's things ?

When I'm dissasembling my double for cleaning, or other purposes, I remove the fore-end timber first then the barrels.
This will not cock the mechanisms and allows you to put it all together again without having to release the "hammers".

Otherwise when storing, after shooting or having cocked the firearm, I let the hammers go on snap-caps which are specifically made for doing so.

I got my snap caps from Trader Keith.

I don't know if it is technically correct or not to do so but personally I would not store a double rifle in the cocked position.
Nor would I dry fire a double without snap-caps in place.

Cheers,

Paul.

I use snap caps on mine. I would only disassemble when I have to clean after awhile. Of course I haven't had mine long enough yet. LOL

PaultT,

Thanks for your help. But does it mean that you would have to leave both snap caps in the chamber after you pulled the triggers, as otherwise you would have to break open the barrels/ action which in turns, cocked the gun?

Stan, I leave my snap caps in my double.

Good grouping for a double or any rifle with open sights, once you've got your drift set you'll be ready for anything. Post some pics of the rifle as well. Bob

Thanks Bob very much. I posted some pictures on here a month or so ago. Should be under title I finally got it..I think. I already deleted pics here. If ya cant find it..I'll be glad to take some more. It's got gorgeous wood on it.

Thanks Bob very much. I posted some pictures on here a month or so ago. Should be under title I finally got it..I think. I already deleted pics here. If ya cant find it..I'll be glad to take some more. It's got gorgeous wood on it.

Funny how my memory slows down when I get older, I did go look at the thread and just so happens I posted that it was a nice looking rifle and ask you to post the shot group and you did, Thanks! and it does have some fine looking wood. Again congrats on a fine Double.:thumb:

PaultT,

Thanks for your help. But does it mean that you would have to leave both snap caps in the chamber after you pulled the triggers, as otherwise you would have to break open the barrels/ action which in turns, cocked the gun?

Yes, Stan, once hammers are released on snap caps you are fine to leave them in the gun.
That is the intended purpose of snap caps.

They are not expensive and as mentioned are available from Trader Keith.

Thanks Buff-Buster and thanks again PaulT.

I have snap caps. If we leave snap caps in the chambers, it means that ejector springs are still coiled up though.

Stan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sports0266

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg