Heym 88

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hunted
US
Some of you wanted to see how my Heym 88 PH shot after I just got it. Well after a month of rain I finally got out today and shot it. Bear in mind I have never shot a double rifle before so here it is. The group is to the right 3 inches. It didn't take me long to see why. From the factory the rear sight is to the right and not dead center on the rib. Actually..I was glad because when I tap it over to center it should shoot dead on. For my bad eyes I was happy with the elevation and grouping at 50 yrds with Hornady ammo. You pros tell me what you think. Thanks! The bottom left and right was first group. The top left and right was the second. Now the question is how far to left to drift rear sight.

heym 88 grouping 002.jpg

PaulT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
Hunted
Aus. N.Z & Zim.
Heym, that is an outstanding group at 50yds for an open sighted double.

Sorry I can't help with advice for how much you will need to shift the sight over
as I do not know what Heym provides on the rear sight base in term of graduations of adjustment, but remember to do it carefully and gradually.

Some, and i repeat, only some, of the horizontal shift MAY be a simply result of the difference in the "hold" (of the gun) between you and who-ever regulated the rifle.
The balance, most, will be the rear sight position.

Elevation and grouping is as good as you have a right to expect it to be from a properly regulated double rifle.

Congrats on a great shooter,..... look out buffalo !!!

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
I can't help with site adjustments but the rifle is giving a great group for open sites. You certainly have sub "minute of buffalo" or "minute of jumbo". Congratulations on your new rifle.

Stan-Elephant Trail

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hey PaulT,

I have just gotten my Heym 88B Safari. Do you keep the gun cocked while not in use or you unlocked it? How do you unlocked it though? I take the foreend, barrel and action/stock apart for storage, but it is cocked once I break open the gun. Thanks.

Stan

PaulT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
Hunted
Aus. N.Z & Zim.
Hey PaulT,

I have just gotten my Heym 88B Safari. Do you keep the gun cocked while not in use or you unlocked it? How do you unlocked it though? I take the foreend, barrel and action/stock apart for storage, but it is cocked once I break open the gun. Thanks.

Stan

Hey Stan, how's things ?

When I'm dissasembling my double for cleaning, or other purposes, I remove the fore-end timber first then the barrels.
This will not cock the mechanisms and allows you to put it all together again without having to release the "hammers".

Otherwise when storing, after shooting or having cocked the firearm, I let the hammers go on snap-caps which are specifically made for doing so.

I got my snap caps from Trader Keith.

I don't know if it is technically correct or not to do so but personally I would not store a double rifle in the cocked position.
Nor would I dry fire a double without snap-caps in place.

Cheers,

Paul.

Heym 88

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hunted
US
I use snap caps on mine. I would only disassemble when I have to clean after awhile. Of course I haven't had mine long enough yet. LOL

Stan-Elephant Trail

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
PaultT,

Thanks for your help. But does it mean that you would have to leave both snap caps in the chamber after you pulled the triggers, as otherwise you would have to break open the barrels/ action which in turns, cocked the gun?

Buff-Buster

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Website
www.mashambanzousafaris.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, North American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
Hunted
Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal, Free State & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta & Saskatchewan) & Argentina (Cordoba)
Stan, I leave my snap caps in my double.

Bobpuckett

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
Hunted
USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
Good grouping for a double or any rifle with open sights, once you've got your drift set you'll be ready for anything. Post some pics of the rifle as well. Bob

Heym 88

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hunted
US
Thanks Bob very much. I posted some pictures on here a month or so ago. Should be under title I finally got it..I think. I already deleted pics here. If ya cant find it..I'll be glad to take some more. It's got gorgeous wood on it.

Bobpuckett

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
Hunted
USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
Thanks Bob very much. I posted some pictures on here a month or so ago. Should be under title I finally got it..I think. I already deleted pics here. If ya cant find it..I'll be glad to take some more. It's got gorgeous wood on it.

Funny how my memory slows down when I get older, I did go look at the thread and just so happens I posted that it was a nice looking rifle and ask you to post the shot group and you did, Thanks! and it does have some fine looking wood. Again congrats on a fine Double.:thumb:

PaulT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Hunted
Aus. N.Z & Zim.
PaultT,

Thanks for your help. But does it mean that you would have to leave both snap caps in the chamber after you pulled the triggers, as otherwise you would have to break open the barrels/ action which in turns, cocked the gun?

Yes, Stan, once hammers are released on snap caps you are fine to leave them in the gun.
That is the intended purpose of snap caps.

They are not expensive and as mentioned are available from Trader Keith.

Stan-Elephant Trail

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Thanks Buff-Buster and thanks again PaulT.

I have snap caps. If we leave snap caps in the chambers, it means that ejector springs are still coiled up though.

Stan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AleidaCoth

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J