AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
I have gotten some great info and quotes from people on here.Looking for myself and 12 year old son.Some ideas on hunting different areas for an animal or two was great info I almost overlooked.I almost feel bad I will need to pick one outfitter to go hunting with as so many have gone out of there way to get my business. So ok now for all you guys that have gone is there one thing you would have wished you ask before going or made plans to do when there.I got my wish list for both of us and even hope to have some extra dollars just incase we see something we did not think we wanted to hunt.Just want to cover all my bases from enough time to harvest the 15 animals to hunting the right area.Thats not 15 animals each just a total of 15.I am looking to make the best of a trip that could be once in a lifetime.Of coarse unless my son wants to take dad when he is older.LOL On his dime. thanks for all the help so far glad i found this site before I went.

If you have an animal that is tops or near tops on your wishlist, make sure it is readily available in the main area that you will be hunting and does not require a 6 hour drive to a small farm to harvest that animal in what may be a shall I say less than "free ranging" situation. In my case one of the animals I have wanted for the last 3 trips is spotted hyena and on each of my last 3 hunts they were on the trophy list but upon arrival it was found that they are actually not readily hunted where you are hunting or were actually brown and not spotted and therefore much more expensive or "waiting to hear if one is on bait" etc etc. Still no hyena but hope to do better in Zim this June and am assured that chances are good for scoring on one. Make sure before you get there to avoid dissapointment. Dont assume that just because its listed, that it is easily available.

Might I suggest doing some tours around where you will be hunting, take time to go curo shopping, take lots of pictures. Your trip will end way too fast and slowing down so you can remember the sights, smells of what Africa is will only help to make this a once in a life time trip with your son. (except on the flight back when you are planning on how to get back) Hope you and your son have a great trip. I remember my first with my Dad.

I would ask your potential host what his approach to children is. I was lucky that my PH loved having a child along and took lots of time out to ensure that my son enjoyed himself. Children can be a lot less goal directed than the average adult who can afford to hunt Africa, and that may not sit well with every PH, depending on how goal directed he is.

My advise based on going with my son, who was 8 at the time, which I know is a lot different from 12, is to take it easy. Kids wear out faster than adults and a tired kid who feels that he has to keep up with Dad or has to take a certain number of animals in a certain time is not going to be as happy as he could be. The other thing I wished I had done was come up with a story about how it is an insult to your host and considered bad luck in Africa if the hunters do not take an afternoon siesta. He was simply too excited to sleep in the afternoon when the rhythm of the day demands a siesta. Consequently, he went to bed every night just as dinner was served and he missed a lot of the day-end bonding that goes on.

The most important trophy is the time spent with your son, everything else is secondary. I do not regret not taking a shot at game for the first several days, in order to give my son time to get settled, shoot at some guinea fowl, and so forth even though I didn't get a chance on a kudu.

I hope I don't sound preachy, but having been there, I can tell you that you need to get the idea of "once in a lifetime" trip out of your head. Unless your personality is vastly different from mine, it will cause you to push yourself and more importantly, your son, too hard. Remember, in America, we have a lot of watches but not much time. In Africa, they don't have a lot of watches, but they have a lot of time.

I couldn't agree more on the point that Africa is not a once in a lifetime trip....It is so wonder for hunting...That even if it's ten years later...you'll want to return. The Dark Continent is just too rich in culture and wildlife to go once. That being said...I think you are very wise to spend like 14 days or more...As long as you are there enjoy your time and take lots of pictures! And don't get caught up on getting everything on your list...things happen...especially is the area is vast and weather doesn't cooperate a 100 percent.

After thinking about it some more.. Depending on how long you have been waiting for this event or how strongly you feel about it, remember this. As in most things in life the anticipation often exceeds the actual event. Be prepared for dissapointments, minor most of them but sometimes you will be faced with situations that completely take you off guard. If you have been reading and dreaming of Africa for years and have read all the same books the rest of us have you will have some preconceived notions on how things will or should be and they often are not. On my first trip in 1985 everyone kept insisting I shoot from the back of the Land Cruiser and I refused and actually had to get on my "high horse" about it to make them understand that besides being illegal in most places, I considered it unsporting because thats what I had read for many years. Now I know that many dont agree with that and shoot from the back of the vehicle all the time but it dont work for me. That is the kind of thing I am talking about. I had a notion of how it would be done and had to face a different approach which I refused to do and it caused some rancor in camp if only temporarily. The point is, take it slow, enjoy the newness, dont get too upset with things when they arent what you supposed they would be, go with the flow up to a point but dont compromise your principles when push comes to shove. Try to do it the way you want to do it as much as possible, you are paying for the privilege of doing it your way, but at the same time it behooves one to recognize that you are in a foreign land (this isnt Kansas anymore Toto!) and things are very different. But thats why we go, because it is different and its a blast. I hope you enjoy your first safari - there is only one first safari.

Again to agree with some Members;

Make sure, you enjoy the hunt, have a good time, nobody should ever promise a 100% succes rate, because it will nearly never happen. Enjoy the hunt with your Kid, there is nothing like an ethical hunt, even if you have to come back, even 10 years later!

My sons were 20 and 23 when I took them over, but some of the lessons are still the same. The real pay off is not in the trophies taken, although you both do want to take trophies, but with the time spent with your son. Time to relate to him in a different way, time to teach him some new lessons, and time for you both to learn new things. First I would define the experience that you want: tented camp or chalets, fenceless bush or rach hunt, desert or woodland etc. I would define 6-8 trophies that you want between the two of you and leave the rest up to chance. You don't want to focus so heavily on taking trophies that you miss being in Africa. I would limit the trip to no more than two weeks - total. Two weeks is a long time for a 12 year old to be away from home. I would try to do a little sightseeing also. Finally I would take the approach that we are going on an adventure, don't expect everything to go smoothly, roll with the punches and enjoy the experience. Take more pictures that you think you should, make sure that your son has his own camera with a telescopic lens, and insist that both of you keep daily journal.

Excellent advice there TerryR,
No doubt the words from a wise man. Spot on. Thanks for your input.

Best Regards
Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris

Thanks for some great ideas.I am more worried he will want more then 2 weeks.LOL He will be the main focus as for animals hunted and we will just let the hunt take us were ever it goes.We have trophys in mind but will not be upset if all are not taken.Sounds like a will need a few camera cards to take all the pictures for sure.I will look in to a side trip to one of the game parks for sure.I am really looking forward to get him bow hunting.I got him a bow for xmas and he is shooting no stop.Wind and rain does not matter to him.In one month time he went from 30lbs to 40lb draw weight.Thanks to all who have given me some more ideas and looking forward to hearing some more.Thanks Bill c

You realy need to think hard about what type of experience you want.
If i was disappointed about one thing it was that RSA is not a wilderness type experince. Its alot more modern than i thought even out in the country. I did not have the expectation of my PH texting all day with the others about who just shot what. When you do pick someone you should have an extensive conversation about the property. Make it perfectly clear what you have in mind. Leave know doubt about your expectaions. Its mighty hard to do anything about it once you get there.

I hear you Thunderhead, I was ready to throw my PH's phone in the bush a long time ago! That's why I don't own a cell phone. People go crazy with those things. And all the drivers on the road, swerving here and there....it's frustrating.

If people want to get a hold of me...I have a answering machine at home or email me.

I have posted in on other threads, there is no reason other than extra money someone can't plains game hunt in Mozambique or Zimbabwe.

I will say this: Namibia...has a lot less people....we were on the road for hours and hardly saw anyone. And I truly think, less people is more of a value. I think Namibia honestly has the best value hunts out there.

Your going to have the best time of your life! Africa is amazing in every sense of the word, the animals the people and the whole experience. No matter who you pick to spend your money and time with they will make it worth it. These guys are business men just like the rest of us and are working hard to make sure you go home with warm feelings and a lifetime of memories. Once you arrive the dollars that you think are so important become a after thought and when you are headed home after the conclusion of your first hunt you will look back wishing that you would of taken just one more trophy! I leave you with one quote " the only man that I envy is one that has not yet been to Africa, for he has so much to look forward to" Richard Mullins.... I think LOL CHEERS AND GOOD LUCK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,