Ok all you africa experts answer this

bigred.....I'm beginning to think people don't understand how bullets work?

The SST is fine bullet it did its job. It had pinpoint accuracy, mushroomed, and put all of the energy into the animal....causing tissue and bone damage, causing the animals death in about 100 yards. If you wanted blood why didn't you shoot a Northfork, Nosler or Barnes bullet.

Billc.

Don't forget your electrical converter and the proper ADAPTOR for the province you will be in.

My first trip in 2002, I packed too much. 2008 and 2010 I knew what to take.

Once you get in the air for Africa, all you will want to think about is the hunt for the flight is long. LOL!

You and your son will have the time of your lives for sure. And of course, will be discussing a return trip for the future.

It is shot placement and not the calibre of the rifle, the 300 mag. has served me very well.

Good Hunting,

I look forward to hearing back on your thoughts about the lack of blood trails. You will indeed kill game, hopefully everything you shoot at. Just hope they don't run far. Good luck.

Had my SST bullets not experienced complete core/jacket seperation, which they did on all the bullets we recovered, I would have had better results. All we could find was peeled copper jackets and no lead at all. This is something I am in talks with to the Hornady staff right now.

Post some pictures of the SST bullets and wound channel on the animals if you have them. I would like to see them. I watched the whole butchering process in Africa, and thought it was interesting and added to the hunt. I really like to see how much damage a arrow or bullet does to a animal. And if a bullet failed...I'd like to see it.

I'm glad you asked. I submitted a video to the Hornady staff describing my hunt and the bullet performance of the SST. Its 12 minutes long and unedited. After submitting it I wish I would have edited it or been more succinct. But hey, what's youtube for if not for amateurs.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that link doesn't work, just do a search on youtube for "hornady superformance video report."

Thanks bigred for the video link,

I will say I have seen previous bullet core/jacket seperations on Remington's old "Premier Boattail" line of ammo and Wincestor's Power Point ammo. I use mostly a 243 Win for hunting deer and the 100 grain Power Point do the same thing you reported, and it doesn't happen all the time...just certain shot angles. I guess I have accepted it has using a soft boattail bullet. I kinda wondered why Hornady increased the speed on the SST line of ammo. It was a great marketing technique. And I'm not shocked that the bullet, super expanded.

I wonder what Hornady's reply to you will be? I still like the SST's performance for the dollar price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,