roverandbrew

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
United States, South Africa, Zambia
So... The new Highland Stalker had a couple rough hunts over the past two weeks hunting elk. I am not concerned with dents but have posted two pics of spots I would like to give some love to in order to keep the wood sealed the best I can. Being they are lighter in color than the rest of the stock I would assume the oil finish has been compromised. This is a guess. Does anyone have any advice on the best oil or treatment I can rub into the stock for protection? I am not looking for a showroom finish just some protection that blends into the stock.

Scratch 1_LI.jpg
Scratch 2_LI.jpg

Give Gary a call. They will be the best source of advice as they know exactly what they put on it. I think you are going to need a good wax over the oil, but again, I would rely on their direction.

I appreciate the advice. I sent Gary an e-mail today and we should chat tomorrow. I have some renaissance wax left from a CZ 550 I did That I could use.

That’s an excellent wax.

Stock dings go with the territory for wood stocks. I am careful but not overly so with wood stocks on modern user firearms. They are for hunting in the outdoors after all. If I were too careful, it could and likely would at some time hinder my effectiveness as a hunter. However, my antique rifles are a completely different matter- I take them hunting under a completely different set of rules- no crawling through rocks, no busting brush, weather has to be nice and so on... :)

Scuffs or even mild dents are "reversible" to some degree. That puncture in the left side looks like a nail hit or something?... that one will be the most difficult to deal with or hide. Anytime wood fibers are cut, torn or crushed... it's pretty much permanent. Except for that deep hole, I'd just get some stock finish that is compatible with the existing finish and lightly rub in a tiny thinned amount with fine steel wool. Let dry and repeat until result matches.

Waxes like Renaissance are good for mild protection but they are not tough nor designed to take the place of a matching oil finish if a touch-up is needed for restoration. The microcrystalline waxes are commonly used for archival preservation and storage of antique woods and some artifacts.

No matter the course of action taken, it'd be good to post results and methods if someone does the repair or re-touch.

Looks good! BLO or Tung or a few other similar oils will work- just takes time and multiple apps. No need to fear the fine steel wool because no pressure is used when applying the oil or varnish. The steel wool simply smoothes the roughened, damaged surface area, applies the oil and helps blend new and old.

So... The new Highland Stalker had a couple rough hunts over the past two weeks hunting elk. I am not concerned with dents but have posted two pics of spots I would like to give some love to in order to keep the wood sealed the best I can. Being they are lighter in color than the rest of the stock I would assume the oil finish has been compromised. This is a guess. Does anyone have any advice on the best oil or treatment I can rub into the stock for protection? I am not looking for a showroom finish just some protection that blends into the stock.

View attachment 376065View attachment 376066
@roverandbrew
I like Linspeed oil on all my timber stocks then finish with Gilleys gun polish wax to make it even more water proof
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,