Official African Food Thread

I recall cutting baits out of trees after my first leopard hunt. Meat had been up there for about 10 days. "Food for the hyenas" I said, as the meat came down. The trackers looked at me as I was mad. "No hyenas. For us." I was not so impressed by the meat under the hard crust that had grown over it to overlook the smell and the maggots and give it a try.

We are very lucky.

I recall cutting baits out of trees after my first leopard hunt. Meat had been up there for about 10 days. "Food for the hyenas" I said, as the meat came down. The trackers looked at me as I was mad. "No hyenas. For us." I was not so impressed by the meat under the hard crust that had grown over it to overlook the smell and the maggots and give it a try.

We are very lucky.

The only food I’ve been unable to eat that others eat willingly is rotten shark. Apparently it’s a preservation method. It tasted like straight ammonia. Other things have tasted bad but that’s the only one that tasted like poison. I imagine rotten leopard bait isn’t considered preserved. An acquired taste I’m sure.

Tenderloin of eland grilled with a simple dry rub seasoning was the best thing I ate in South Africa, but the chef in our camp also makes really good bobotie and both trips there I looked forward to having it.

One of the best meals I have had was in Zulu land. The cook slow simmered Ox tail all day long served with a thick brown gravy made from the juices. Incredibly rich and delicious.
Tenderloin from a Cape buffalo soaked in Coke for 24 hours wrapped in bacon and cooked over white hot coals would be second on my list.
Country fried Sable steak with mushroom gravy will make you go back for seconds.

Best bar snack is kapenta in a mild curry batter... with an ice cold beer.

Good foods with great differences all over the continent, great variety in preparation and taste like when you're traveling across the US.

I spent some time in Senegal a couple years ago, gotta say one of my favorite dishes was Mafe. It's like a beef stew that you'll find in various forms throughout West Africa. Definitely a meal if you're really hungry and you'll probably need a nap afterwards. Thieboudienne is another great meal from that region.

In the East I like Ethiopian Camel tibs with vegetables and rice, the spicier the better. In Morocco I don't think I've had food that I didn't like, but if I had to pick one it would probably be Beef Tagine.

Oxtail Potije with Pap has to be the favorite for Namibia. Now for the real question, best African Beer.....? For me its a toss up between Namibia's Hansa Draught, and Senegal's Gazelle

I was wondering if they had a different name there. We call it a Jaffa’s iron I need Australia too You maybe able to by an electric version to for home with Teflon non stick mould.
We grew up with the cast one for camping and use on the fire. In the house we used it on a gas stove. Tin spaghetti in it, Baked beans if you like them. An egg and some salt and pepper Bust the yoke!
Or anything you like really.
We were offered a cooked breakfast mostly bacon and eggs if we wanted it. I wouldn’t eat it everyday but they got a surprise when I asked if they had tin spaghetti to go on the side or Worcestershire sauce for the bacon. They must think we eat differently in Australia.
Vegemite on the spaghetti noodles?

@CoElkHunter No , i haven't tried that. Vegemite and cheese go well on a sandwich or toast, maybe cheese and tomato.
i believe the American foods can be sweeter in general explaining why Vegemite wont take off there.

Chicken Flattie - Peri Peri
flattie chicken.JPG

My favorite is prepared like brazed ox tails, but they substitute gemsbok shank bones. The gravy is always killer good, the meat is falling off tender and the marrow inside is the best thing ever!

Young bush pig / warthog glazed in honey, bacon strips, veggies and potatoes and olive oil, herbs and spices to taste. Place all in a trommel (steel case). Dig a hole about 4ft deep. place coals on the bottom then a thick layer of green elephant grass. Then the trommel. Then more thick grass. Then more coals. Then cover with a layer of sand. Allow to cook for several hours.

Dig out trommel. Shake it and watch the meat fall from the bones.

I miss a good bottle of gemmerbier (ginger beer). Picked this bottle up from a roadside stand in the middle of the Karoo heading to Beaufort West.

Nothing like sipping a cool drink from a recycled brandy bottle while driving. Ha ha ha. View attachment 347105
Leaving for Botswana on Friday, I asked the PH to have some ginger beer and lemon biscuits in camp for us. Good stuff.

Saint Louis Missouri is blessed to have a great Ethiopian restaurant. I tell everyone I can about it. I will always go out of my way to go

I found an Australian liquor chain Dan Murphys sticks a couple of African wines.
I quite like them for something different. The day we visited Pumba game reserve I was feeling off.
It's a shame as each table was set with a bottle of red, a bottle of white and a smorgasbord of local dishes and the wines and I was struggling to Enjoy them so now I can at least try the wine at home.
My done bought a Borwors in Adelaide for a BBQ

Oh hell no. I watched in mild horror. Particularly the rain of maggots from the buffalo.
I will have you know your comment just got me in hot water with the wife. I really LOLed and woke her up...good thing she can fall back asleep fast!

African cuisine is diverse and varies by region. Still, it generally features a combination of staple foods such as grains (like millet, sorghum, and fonio), legumes (like peanuts and beans), vegetables, and fruits, along with a variety of meats, fish, and spices. Some popular African dishes include:
  • Jollof rice is a West African dish made with tomatoes, onions, peppers, and spices served with chicken or fish.
  • Egusi soup is a Nigerian soup made with ground melon seeds, vegetables, and meat or fish.
  • Injera, a sourdough flatbread from Ethiopia, is often served with stews or other toppings.
  • Bobotie, a South African dish made with ground meat and spices, topped with a custard mixture, and baked.
  • Suya is a Nigerian skewered and grilled meat snack often made with beef or chicken and seasoned with a spicy peanut sauce.
  • Some African corn salad recipes include maize and bean salad, made with corn, black beans, diced tomatoes, diced red onion, cilantro, lime juice, and olive oil. Another one is a roasted corn and avocado salad made with roasted corn, diced avocado, diced red onion, diced tomatoes, and a cilantro lime dressing.
For recipe ideas and inspiration, you can search online for African cookbooks or websites that feature African recipes. Some well-known African cookbooks are "The African Kitchen" by Zoe Adjonyoh, "Tasting Africa: A Culinary Journey Through Africa" by Christophe Josserand, and "The Groundnut Cookbook" by Duval Timothy.
To find African food products, you can check out your area's African or international grocery stores. Some African food products that you can find in store include:
  • Egusi melon seeds
  • Dried plantains
  • Crayfish
  • Dried hibiscus flower (Zobo)
  • African spices like: Suya spice, Egusi spice, etc
In terms of restaurants serving African cuisine, you can try searching online for African restaurants in your area. Be sure to check out customer reviews to find a reputable restaurant that serves authentic African dishes.
Keep in mind that some African cuisine contains ingredients that might be hard to find, so it's better to check out the African stores.

They have been so much noise about Jollof rice, tried it and i really like it.

Kebabs of elephant high shoulder cubes, fat from behind the eyes and some onions and tomatoes. Served with some “Sadza” of course.

Bobotie with duiker minced meat

Puffadder with cubes of Eland filet, fat, heart and liver

Nyala “tripes” stomach lining cut into strips with onions, garlic and lots of oil.

Zebra schnitzel’s

Roast leg of bushbuck

Only the tripes were not quite my thing :D everything else was delicious

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg