Official African Food Thread

I brought a couple of kilos of biltong spice back with me from South Africa when we did our 2020 hunt.. but never actually got around to making biltong.. I used it a couple of times making venison jerky.. but it really isn't the same.. .

Gerrit from @Bos en Dal SAFARIS gave me a lesson on making proper biltong while he was in Dallas a couple of weeks ago.. we turned about a 3lb beef roast into biltong strips and hung it in the garage for about a week... It was absolutely delicious.. Im now thawing out a small 4lb brisket planning on turning it into biltong next (not really a big enough or moist enough brisket to warrant a TX BBQ / smoker feast)..

In terms of favorite South African food.. Bunny Chow holds the 1st place trophy for me... absolutely delicious stuff.. Elna, the camp chef does a beautiful version of the dish...

Favorite African food in general for me is traditional Ethiopian cuisine.. Doro Wat, Sambusas, Tibs, etc.. served up with a huge piece of Injera bread... that is a meal to die for...

Curiously enough, the best Ethiopian food Ive ever had.. was served in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania..

If anyone is traveling to Dar anytime in the near future, there is a little expat frequented restaurant pretty close to the US Embassy called Addis in Dar.. No shit, the meal I had there was one of the top 5 meals Ive ever had in my life.. My wife and I had appetizers, a couple of beers, a huge spread for the main course, desert, and coffee.. with tip I think the total came to about $35 for 2 people.. and it was absolutely incredible.. incredible to the point I would choose to eat there again over a fine steak meal at Peter Lugers.. or another meal at Lavendou (our favorite french place in Dallas).. both of which I also have had top 5 meals in my life at... Id give up an extra day in camp hunting if that's what it took to get a dinner at Addis in Dar again.. it is all kidding aside that freaking good...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg