Odds of arrowing these animals in limpopo

bruceb

AH member
Reaction score
For those of you that have bow hunted africa I was wondering what the odds of seeing the following animals from a blind in late August may be.
Red hartebeest
Blesbok
Gemsbok
Thanks

Based on my one and only experience hunting Limpopo, I would say very good. My ph, wife and I sat in a hide facing a water hole, and we had a fantastic time taking pictures and video of all the different animals that showed up (eland, giraffe, impala, blue wildebeest, warthogs, zebras, red hartebeest, gemsbok, waterbuck, and kudus, all in one place). The only one we didn't see was the blesbok, and that's because they had them in a different area.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

I'd say it depends on the outfitter...

but if you select one that is set up well for bow hunting, and that also has a good number of those species on the property, I'd say very good...

I've only taken 1 African animal with my bow.. a big blue wildebeest.. but while in the blind we saw warthogs, kudu, impala, waterbuck, blesbok, and a few other things all come in over the course of a couple of days waiting in the blind..

Hi bruceb, and welcome to the forum.

It would definitely be possible, excellent choice of animals! It could be a bit tricky with the blesbuck and hartebeest but with some patience it could all come together... As stated above, talk to the outfitter to see if they are setup for bowhunting!

Best of luck and be sure to post some pictures!!

Kind regards
Aj Fourie.

For those of you that have bow hunted africa I was wondering what the odds of seeing the following animals from a blind in late August may be.
Red hartebeest
Blesbok
Gemsbok
Thanks
Possible on the right property.....not the domain of these three species. Kalahari would be the best option.

Red hartebeest
Blesbok
Gemsbok
Thanks

@bruceb ,

As already correctly mentioned, it depends greatly on the outfitter, and in particular, how much land they have, the species on that land, and if they are properly set up to accommodate bow hunters.

Assuming all of the boxes above are checked, you have a very good chance of getting a bow shot opportunity at the species of your interest. Blesbok and gemsbok will be your best bets, as they come to the hides for feed and water regularly. The red hartebeest will be the most challenging of the 3. They often water early or late and don't make regular appearances at the hides in daylight.

Make sure you discuss your trophy goals and desires with any outfitter you are considering, and especially make sure they are experienced in accommodating the unique challenges and needs of bow hunters.

You have three great responses that I can echo.
Only addition is to make sure you have enough days to allow for plenty of patience to deal with the tougher targets.

Thanks for all your responses. We are currently looking to go with Sadaka for 12 days. If you have any additional thoughts on this please post.

I bowhunted in September. Never saw a single Hartebeest from the blind. The PH said they don't come to water like other game. Saw no Blesbock either but wasn't pursuing them. This was all out of blind. Not while traveling around the area. Saw just about every other kind of plains game

OK. Any thoughts on what I have to do to collect a blesbok and heartbeest with archery gear?

OK. Any thoughts on what I have to do to collect a blesbok and heartbeest with archery gear?
First thing, talk to the outfitter and ask them their take on this. The Limpopo region is pretty diverse and they know their land and animals far better than we do. I don't think August gets much rain, but it's something to find out. Their website doesn't tell me much so make sure they know bowhunting and have good blinds. Assuming that, if you have 12 days of hunting I'd be shocked if you didn't see all three at water a few times. I've seen both hartebeest in Naminbia and blesbok in South Africa show up to water, but I will say the hartebeest didn't do it as often as other species I saw. So it may take some patience for them. Bring a leafy suit like the ASAT one I have on in my profile pic in case a stalk presents itself. That is what happened for me.

Spot and stalk is more fun than hunting in a blind. I’d say give that a go.

@bruceb … time of year & Rut can play into the planning for Blesbok & maybe Hartebeest … both territorial, but oddly I‘ve never seen Gemsbok really ‘dial into a Rut Season.’

* Blesbok: herd animal & water dependent … successful patterned mid-morning before the heat of day & bedding.

* Gemsbok: small herds or solo … not water dependent, luv the flat bush veldt but I’ve had greatest successful on big bulls last hour of daylight & by water - it’s like, they show up w/ the Zebra to see who’s @ the pool party but they rarely dive in!

* Hartebeest: that‘s a real crap shoot trophy! Herd animal for sure … probably biggest of the three, easy to spy out on the flats BUT a proper stalk harder than expected, Bulls are territorial so IF you dial the right time of year … may be easy to ID the Herd Bull. I’ve rarely seen then walk into water like many other PG so I know … this will be your biggest archery challenge!

Great list & have fun w/ your planning!

Happy Trails.

Blesbuck and Redhartebeest tend to arrive mid morning or mid afternoon. Gemsbuck will either arrive just before sunrise but most often at very last light. You will have to be 100% sure on a last light shot at Gemsbuck. They are very tough and can go a long way after a shot that is not placed correctly and they are dangerous to follow up when wounded especially in the bushveldt. If you dont find it you may well be lucky to only recover the horns as the jackals will find it.
For Hartebeest you should try and locate where a solitary bull is hanging out(they are territorial) and then sit the blind at the closest water to that area.
For these species you should prepare to sit the while day, if it is hot out be in the blind before shooting light and leave only after shooting light.
These tactics will help you on ranches where they breed naturally.
Be well prepared to also see some big warthogs arriving at last light, these old cantancurous boars always water before they go to bed.
Good luck.

First thing, talk to the outfitter and ask them their take on this. The Limpopo region is pretty diverse and they know their land and animals far better than we do. I don't think August gets much rain, but it's something to find out. Their website doesn't tell me much so make sure they know bowhunting and have good blinds. Assuming that, if you have 12 days of hunting I'd be shocked if you didn't see all three at water a few times. I've seen both hartebeest in Naminbia and blesbok in South Africa show up to water, but I will say the hartebeest didn't do it as often as other species I saw. So it may take some patience for them. Bring a leafy suit like the ASAT one I have on in my profile pic in case a stalk presents itself. That is what happened for me.
Agree. If the PH was so confident about Hartebeest not showing up, the Outfitter should have advised about the possibility so the Client could adjust their package. Also, give the Client an opportunity to substitute another animal.

Red hartebeest
Blesbok
Gemsbok
Thanks
I had opportunities on each and every one of those animals over water last month. I could have had more if I was specifically hunting any of those species.

I had opportunities on each and every one of those animals over water last month. I could have had more if I was specifically hunting any of those species.

What outfitter did you go with?

ve
Red hartebeest
Blesbok
Gemsbok
Thanks
very very good

Ugh. Not the story I am getting from my chosen PH. I have chosen this PH because he is highly regarded and I am good friends with his American contact. Maybe he just does not have a lot of those animals?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross