Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
Zimbabwe,Namibia, South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
F46D9848-F6EC-4459-8F84-4B350AE6CA2D.jpeg
494BC42D-E0CA-43BE-B07D-5C37736D4023.jpeg

Top photo pictured left to right are my Ruger #1s in 243 Win, 270 Win, 300 Win Mag and 375 H&H.
Bottom photo top to bottom 416 Guide Gun, 375 H&H, 300 Win Mag, 270 Win, 243 Win and M77 Compact in 308.
All but the Guide Gun have the Salt and Pepper laminated stocks with Satin Stainless Steel. My wife bought me the 300 Win Mag for a birthday nearly 20 years ago. At first I wasn’t sure I was going to like the stainless but as you might guess that thought didn’t last long.

The #1 in 300 Win Mag has been a real beast slayer over the years. It’s been to Africa three times and has been my go to rifle for everything from porcupine to eland.

I share your enthusiasm, especially for the #1.

I currently own them in 35 Whelen, 9.3x62, and 375 H&H, the grand overlap....

I was dying when the 458 WM was for sale here a week or so ago. Just couldn't do it with some deposits on the books.

Very nice collection! I'm a Ruger fan too. I have #1's in 270, 275 Rigby, 9.3x62, 30-06, 475 Linebaugh, 460S&W and, my favorite, 300H&H. All of them are walnut/blue steel. I also have a few M77s. 6.5x55, 275 Rigby, & 9.3x62 Africans. 25-06 All Weather, 30-06 Guide Gun, 223 GSR, 275 Rigby RSI and a 375 Ruger Alaskan (laminate, 23", no brake). I might have missed one but you get the idea. Brothers from a different mother.

Just a quick thought: Does Ruger make one in 404 Jeffery? I like those laminated stocks and stainless bbls. I've got them on my 223 Rem and 6.5 Cr.

Just a quick thought: Does Ruger make one in 404 Jeffery? I like those laminated stocks and stainless bbls. I've got them on my 223 Rem and 6.5 Cr.
Ruger manufactured the No. 1 in 404 only in the 1-H Tropical Rifle 1993-1995, their price on the market(when found) reflect their rarity.

image.jpg

Here are a couple not so easy to come by No.1’s
RMEF Rifle, it was the first stainless receiver On the No.1 and chambered in 30-40 Krag
60 made
no.1 in 303 British. Seems most of these went north of the border and to the UK.

And I have to be content with my two #1's.

A 22-250 varmit and a .270 Weatherby mag

Often admired, coveted.... never owned. Always on the look out for right one//right time.

There is something about the No.1 in your hands that just feels right. Those of us that can’t fill the safe with Dakota model 10’s have the more economical choice of the Ruger. I’ve seen some pretty wood on them in the butt, never yet have I seen a forearm that makes me say beautiful. I haven’t owned a bad one, had a couple that were finicky as hell but the same thing goes for most of the women that have came along the way. The slick sides of the receiver lend to a wonderful canvas for an engraver to work with to make a one of a kind piece out of. Lots of attributes in the No.1.
I hunted with a beautiful CB Kudu chambered in Holland’s Super 30 and the rifle was a large part of enjoying that trip.
The no 1 doesn’t trip everyone’s trigger, most likely because they haven’t used one. I had little desire to own one until I shot my friend Guy’s 220 Swift, I’ve been accumulating them since.
Thanks for starting this thread Charlie, next best thing to shooting them is talking about them and looking at pictures of them!
Cheers,
Cody

Last edited:
Incredible collection of laminate and stainless you have.

I remember drooling over the catalog back in the early 90's looking at #1's.
Never did pull the trigger on one, but I always admired them.

There is something about the No.1 in your hands that just feels right. Those of us that can’t fill the safe with Dakota model 10’s have the more economical choice of the Ruger. I’ve seen some pretty wood on them in the butt, never yet have I seen a forearm that makes me say beautiful. I haven’t owned a bad one, had a couple that were finicky as hell but the same thing goes for most of the women that have came along the way. The slick sides of the receiver lend to a wonderful canvas for an engraver to work with to make a one of a kind piece out of. Lots of attributes in the No.1.
I hunted with a beautiful CB Kudu chambered in Holland’s Super 30 and the rifle was a large part of enjoying that trip.
The no 1 doesn’t trip everyone’s trigger, most likely because they haven’t used one. I had little desire to own one until I shot my friend Guy’s 220 Swift, I’ve been accumulating them since.
Thanks for starting this thread Charlie, next best thing to shooting them is talking about them and looking at pictures of them!
Cheers,
Cody

You are absolutely right Cody the Ruger #1 just feels right in your hands and when you shoulder it.
I had a #1 n 458 Lott which I sold to a fellow AHer for his dad! That one was blue steel and Walnut.

Incredible collection of laminate and stainless you have.

I remember drooling over the catalog back in the early 90's looking at #1's.
Never did pull the trigger on one, but I always admired them.

I had a friend tell me about 1999 that his #1 was the best rifle he had ever owned. He was kind enough to find a magazine with a picture of one in An advertisement. So I took that magazine home and left it on the kitchen counter opened to that page and then later put it in the den, then on the bathroom counter and finally back to the kitchen where I would look at it over dinner and discuss the relative facts of the rifle with my son. The wife took note of all this and imposed upon a next door neighbor to go gun shopping with her. My birthday was fast approaching so off they went one afternoon to Thompson Arms in Little Rock AR and she came home with the 300 in stainless and with the laminate stock Topped with a nice Bush ell 3x9x40 scope. As previously mentioned I wasn’t all that taken with the stainless at first but it grew on me quickly.

And I have to be content with my two #1's.

A 22-250 varmit and a .270 Weatherby mag
You have a good start!

Very nice collection! I'm a Ruger fan too. I have #1's in 270, 275 Rigby, 9.3x62, 30-06, 475 Linebaugh, 460S&W and, my favorite, 300H&H. All of them are walnut/blue steel. I also have a few M77s. 6.5x55, 275 Rigby, & 9.3x62 Africans. 25-06 All Weather, 30-06 Guide Gun, 223 GSR, 275 Rigby RSI and a 375 Ruger Alaskan (laminate, 23", no brake). I might have missed one but you get the idea. Brothers from a different mother.

you sir have a very nice collection

Ruger manufactured the No. 1 in 404 only in the 1-H Tropical Rifle 1993-1995, their price on the market(when found) reflect their rarity.
Apparently they had some chamber dimension issues and thus few were made.
Also a fan of the No.1 in particular. Currently have a K1-A in .257 Roberts, one of the few 1-A's in .275 Rigby, and a 1-S in 9.3x74R. I have sold many of them over the years though. Two I really regret selling,:( a 1-A in 6.5 Swede and a 1-A .303 British. The one I miss the least is the .450-400. That thing just kicked the snot out of me and would leave me with a headache. Not fun!:(:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross