AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
USA, Canada, South Africa
My wife has expressed the desire to come out hunting with me a few times as an observer on my upcoming hunt for plains game animals in South Africa. I don't have a problem with this and figure the risk of her getting hurt is minimal since this is not a dangerous game hunt. I am wondering if anyone else has had their significant other do this with them, and whether they had to pay an extra fee for that person to come out with them. Also any problems they may have encountered.

I've asked the question before and it hasn't been an issue when I've asked, nor have there been additional fees. That could certainly vary by outfitter though. Heck, the outfitter I'm most seriously considering has even said he encourages it and that she can shoot a baboon if she wants too.

All that being said I haven't gone yet. I really want my wife to do this so that she sees what it is all about even if she never wants to hunt. My greatest fear is that she will want to hunt... I can't afford it for both of us!!!
:cool:

You are paying an observer rate already.

Anyone you want along on your hunt is welcome to join you. It's your hunt.

I took my wife along on several days. She also stayed at the lodge to read some days. She is a great spotter and saw stuff before all of did, some times.

I took a friend along on several days. She ended up borrowing my rifle and taking a Warthog for Biltong. Another day she got to watch the whole Red Duiker hunt play out. Great experience for her to follow along.

On the Hyena hunt the PH "directed" her to stay put in the vehicle. We were already going to make too much noise for the stalk without the extra feet.

They will tend to get a lot closer to animals with you than going in a game drive.

Cautions:
If you are sitting on stand and she will get bored and make noise you may want to rethink the observer presence.

If you are in really crunchy cover, less feet can be a huge advantage.
Sneaking up in Kudu in thick cover can be an issue.

Otherwise, bring them along. You may end up with another hunter on your hands. :)

My greatest fear is that she will want to hunt... I can't afford it for both of us!!!
:cool:

I have walked that road my friend, yes it is paved with gold!!! LOL

But seriously, observers are welcome to accompany the hunter and as stated often allowed an animal or 2 if pre-arranged with the outfitter. My wife loved it and shot a Gemsbok and Wildebeest, she didn't really know if she wanted to hunt but that changed when we got there.

If she does hunt make sure you reflect that in the tip.

cptkirk,

Bring her along...at least you going to bed a lot warmer...lol :cool:

It is always nice when hunters bring along an observer,whether wife,child or friend.In most cases these observers tend to really enjoy the trip.I am sure there are very few outfitters who will charge extra if an observer wants to hunt one or two animals.

On my July 2014 trip, my "observer wife" plans to shoot an impala, a kudu, a blesbuck, and a springbuk........ or beyond the impala/kudu- whatever Marius gets her close to.

I think the thing to remember here is communication prior to booking, showing up expecting an observer to be allowed to shoot anything would be beyond rudeness or reason. IMO

I think the thing to remember here is communication prior to booking, showing up expecting an observer to be allowed to shoot anything would be beyond rudeness or reason. IMO

+1!! Communication prior to the trip is the key........ Although all PH's/Outfitters are there to make a living, the excitement in their hunters eyes and genuine appreciation of the experience, are what truly drive them to do what they do for a living. Experiencing that excitement through a first time hunter - spouse/child is special to them too. Most will work with you.

I will add a little info. She is already coming on the trip. The trip I won in the auction was for me and a non-hunter. The main reason I put a bid in on the trip was because it was for two. I would not have dreamed of going on a trip like this without giving her a chance to come along. I guess this is why we have been married for 38 years.(She was my high school sweetheart). I was just wondering if it was customary to charge extra to bring more people out in the bush with you. I hope to do the spot and stalk type hunting if I can lump my fat rear end around enough. I hate walking just for exercise, but put a rifle in my hands and I seem to find the legs for an all-day hunt during deer season.

My wife went as an observer last year. She only did one or two stalks but by the end of the trip she decided to take a Springbok of her own! You just never know what's going to happen. :eek:

My wife ALWAYS goes in the vehicle with us She does all the photos. Sometimes she walks with us but most times she stays in the vehicle watching and then rides to the animal for the bwana shots :) This is most always covered in the "observer rate". She MAY be offered a shot if she wants at some non-trophy animal at no extra cost but I wouldn't want to push it on 3 or 4 unless it's discussed before hand. Your wife will be safe on a plains game hunt like this. Take her and she will have a ball Just get her a decent camera and a good bird book, Newmans Birds of South Africa is a good one.

Great idea about the bird book. She does love watching her bird feeders here in Wisconsin. I also have a nice 10 meg Sony camera with Swarovski lenses.
My wife ALWAYS goes in the vehicle with us She does all the photos. Sometimes she walks with us but most times she stays in the vehicle watching and then rides to the animal for the bwana shots :) This is most always covered in the "observer rate". She MAY be offered a shot if she wants at some non-trophy animal at no extra cost but I wouldn't want to push it on 3 or 4 unless it's discussed before hand. Your wife will be safe on a plains game hunt like this. Take her and she will have a ball Just get her a decent camera and a good bird book, Newmans Birds of South Africa is a good one.

I have the bird book and she has a $200 camera :) Works good for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!