Obscure hunts

What are some of the most unknown hunts out there? The more I look into different hunts around the world, I seem to find some other hunt that looks like it would be a cool experience or a cool trophy. Are there any animals out there that stay out of public eye due to rarity, price, difficulty, etc?

I find that we don't think about "most amazing sporting experiences" when we plan our African adventures because we can't stop thinking about Eland and Sable and Kudu. Judging from a purist's angle, there are some incredibly sporting opportunities in Africa that get overlooked.

-Sandgrouse shooting. Probably the finest wingshooting experience you can have. Francolin is awesome as well.

-TigerFish fishing is pretty amazing. I've done it twice. People do go over there and spend safari money just to catch a tiger fish. If you're near the big rivers, a modest charge to cover costs can usually get you out for a couple days of tiger fishing, surrounded by crocs and hippos, having an amazing time.

I'll leave the more pedestrian stuff to others on the thread as they cover the tiny-10 and the night creatures and the like.

Nice! But, just like modern day elephant tusks, the “saber tooths” are non exportable. You have to relinquish them to the appropriate game department so they can sell them to a Chinese buyer on Ebay. Sorry?
Like I said, officially they don't exist. No regulations. No restrictions.

In the Caribbean there is the Island of Bequia where the locals still whale. I knew a gentleman who moved there many years ago just to go whaling. He developed a bond over the years with locals who allowed he and his wife to build a house and to go out on their whaling trips. I believe they are allowed two whales per year.

just something I thought about: Narwal, are they hunted at all?

Narwhal are hunted by indigenous people in the Arctic. No licenses are available for visiting hunters.

Lots of interesting options:

Hog deer in Oz or TX
Rusa deer in Mauritius or Oz
Feral Vancouver bulls in Hawaii
Scrub bulls in Oz
Small predator in RSA (caracal, genet, honey badger, wild cat, and more)
European wood bison in Poland (separate species from ours in US)
Sambar stag on public land in TX
Sandhill crane in TX
Geese in the Netherlands
Dwarf forest stuff in Central and West Africa (e.g., elephant, buffalo)
Chachalaca in TX
Chinese water deer in UK

Bump for the stuff in Old Mexico: brocket deer, ocellated turkey, cous deer
Bump for iguana hunting: FL or Puerto Rico
Bump for tur in the Caucasians
Bump for maral stag (Asian elk)

Has anybody hunted Pygmy Hippopotamus (Choeropsis liberiensis or Hexaprotodon liberiensis).
It sounds very obscure, it not protected species?

I have hunted down in Arizona for 26 years and have only seen one of them and all I had on me was a 44 mag with 240 grain soft points. I didn't have the heart to pull the trigger, all I would have seen would of been a puff of fur.
We see and catch them from time to time here.

Nubian Ibex can be hunted with me but I do not know of any native range country where they can be hunted and imported to the US. Great trophy.

Lots of interesting options:

Hog deer in Oz or TX
Rusa deer in Mauritius or Oz
Feral Vancouver bulls in Hawaii
Scrub bulls in Oz
Small predator in RSA (caracal, genet, honey badger, wild cat, and more)
European wood bison in Poland (separate species from ours in US)
Sambar stag on public land in TX
Sandhill crane in TX
Geese in the Netherlands
Dwarf forest stuff in Central and West Africa (e.g., elephant, buffalo)
Chachalaca in TX
Chinese water deer in UK

Bump for the stuff in Old Mexico: brocket deer, ocellated turkey, cous deer
Bump for iguana hunting: FL or Puerto Rico
Bump for tur in the Caucasians
Bump for maral stag (Asian elk)
You mentioned a lot of very cool hunts. I will look into some of these. Didn't know they had public land sambar in TX but knew they had some on a island in Florida you can hunt.

You mentioned a lot of very cool hunts. I will look into some of these. Didn't know they had public land sambar in TX but knew they had some on a island in Florida you can hunt.
Easier to get to the TX options from what I understand. Don't have to canoe your head home like FL. Recent acquisition by TX Parks here.

Nubian Ibex can be hunted with me but I do not know of any native range country where they can be hunted and imported to the US. Great trophy.
Just recently sudan reopen to legal hunting again after a 10 year ban, it's again possible to hunt Nubian ibex, Barbary sheep, Eritrea gazelle, and Salt dik dik in the Red Sea Mountains of Sudan, not sure if it's importable though.

Check my post, no 15 on the link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.