Oal for 375 h&h In Ruger No 1??????

Mwag

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hello folks, I just purchased a Ruger No.1 in 375 h&h. Was getting ready to develop a load and measured the chamber in this rifle. Specs show 3.6" oal, this rifle measures 3.735" to the lands. Is this much jump common? Depending upon what an individual rifle likes, I normally seat bullets .015-.075 from lands.

Any advice on this one?

Every rifle is a unique thing. You know what you have now. Have fun experimenting!

Make up a "Dummy" round with the bullet a somewhat long and loose fit in the case. Try it in the chamber, then gradually adjust the bullet into the case until is just fits, barely engaging the rifling. Thane set the seating a further 15 thou deeper, and crimp the bullet. start your loading, testing for accuracy, with powder below maximum by about 5% grains. Then go chasing accuracy, up or down as necessary. With a No1 in 375 H&H you should be able to get close t, if not under 1 MOA.
Best of luck, and enjoy!!!

geoff rath,
That is exactly how I have developed loads for several No1's over the years.

An interesting point with the Ruger No1; with cartridges that have bullets seated deeply in factory form, we can have the chamber "throated out" to seat the bullets with the base level with the bottom of the neck. Careful load development can yield relatively higher velocities. my 300 WSM adds about .200" to OAL, pushing 175s well over 3,000fps, near 3100. Pressure signs are minimal, at worst.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you