O/U for home defense

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
My wife is very good with a bolt rifle and Glock, but has not used a shotgun. I like to keep a shotgun in the bedroom with buckshot in it for any two legged intruders or unwanted coyote or coon that come to close to the house. I always keep the chamber empty and 4 in the tube on a 870.

My question is. Is the safe on a 555 savage O/U reliable enough to leave it loaded? I think it would be easier to teach her to shoot a O/U then a pump. We aren’t bird hunters so don’t think she would use it enough to be able to really get efficient with a pump. Since she is good with a rifle I think with a little practice she could get very good with a O/U.

What say you? Thanks.

JimP

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
You can't get much simpler than a pump, just rack the slide and you are good to go. No having to avert your eyes to see where you are placing the rounds.

Plus there is something menacing about the sound that a pump makes when you rack in a round that will make most intruders turn around and leave.

Velo Dog

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
Mechanical devices fail often enough that we should not place much trust in them.

Since your wife is good with a Glock pistol and with a bolt action rifle, get her a Glock pistol and / or a bolt action rifle, (and / or a bolt action shotgun).

Last edited:

shootist~

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA
Why not the Glock - so long as it's100% reliable in her hands?

The disadvantage of a long gun is the ability for someone to grab the barrel. And just two shots for an O/U.

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Why not the Glock - so long as it's100% reliable in her hands?

The disadvantage of a long gun is the ability for someone to grab the barrel. And just two shots for an O/U.

I believe in the dark when the dogs bark from 2 to 40 yards hard to beat buckshot, not likely to miss and more likely to end with one shot. In the house wouldn’t even aim, left or right hand point and pull.

JimP

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
I believe in the dark when the dogs bark from 2 to 40 yards hard to beat buckshot, not likely to miss and more likely to end with one shot. In the house wouldn’t even aim, left or right hand point and pull.

Quite a few people have a misconception of a shotgun and figure that at distances that you see inside of a home that they shot will spread out, this isn't the case. A shotgun right off of a dealers shelf, even one designed for self defense is going to keep it's pattern within 6 inches or less at short ranges.

Start thinking about how far a shot will be inside of your home, even across a large room you are not looking at much more than 10 yards even in a larger home. Now take your shotgun out to the range and put a box up and shoot it at that 10 yards and see what the shot spread is like.

The big advantage of a shotgun is that it is a man stopper. Very few people could take a full charge from a shotgun and keep coming at you, they will be down.

mdwest

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
Quite a few people have a misconception of a shotgun and figure that at distances that you see inside of a home that they shot will spread out, this isn't the case. A shotgun right off of a dealers shelf, even one designed for self defense is going to keep it's pattern within 6 inches or less at short ranges.

Start thinking about how far a shot will be inside of your home, even across a large room you are not looking at much more than 10 yards even in a larger home. Now take your shotgun out to the range and put a box up and shoot it at that 10 yards and see what the shot spread is like.

The big advantage of a shotgun is that it is a man stopper. Very few people could take a full charge from a shotgun and keep coming at you, they will be down.

Very accurate...

The overarching majority of self defense shooting situations, to include those that happen inside the home are encounters at bad breath distances..

Different platforms have different advantages and disadvantages.. no one platform is going to be perfect for all possible situations..

If the intention is to have the wife shelter in place and assume a defensive position, a long gun is going to be the best solution for most scenarios and most homes.. the time, energy, and cost to get her into a basic AR platform and get her competent enough to use it in that type of situation is minimal..

The O/U will work also.. but offers A LOT less flexibility and a number of disadvantages over a basic rifle.. but.. if that's the best option you have.. I'll take 2 rounds of 00 buck from a 28" bbl O/U over a sharp stick...

If you're concerned about the safety, why not leave it with 2 rounds in the chambers, but with the action open.. the time it would take to pick up the gun and close the action is only a fraction of a second longer than the time it takes to just pick up the gun..

Same would apply to the coyote and coon situation you describe in the OP.. if its a pest on the property, the additional .5 second to close the action while picking the gun up wont make any difference at all in the intended engagement that's going to take place 10-60 seconds later anyway..

shootist~

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member, USPSA Certified Range Officer (inactive), NRA Certified Instructor (inactive)
Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA
I strongly suggest you go to the range and pattern that buckshot at room distance - say 5 or 6 yards. At about a fist sized spread you will see the fallacy of the "I can't miss" theory.

igotit

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
Zambia, SA, Zim, AZ, CO, Canada
My Benelli M1 runs like a sewing machine with Defensive ammo. It does NOT cycle birdshot well at all. That's not a big deal to me since i don't use birdshot for serious use. It does make training and practice more costly.

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Very accurate...

The overarching majority of self defense shooting situations, to include those that happen inside the home are encounters at bad breath distances..

Different platforms have different advantages and disadvantages.. no one platform is going to be perfect for all possible situations..

If the intention is to have the wife shelter in place and assume a defensive position, a long gun is going to be the best solution for most scenarios and most homes.. the time, energy, and cost to get her into a basic AR platform and get her competent enough to use it in that type of situation is minimal..

The O/U will work also.. but offers A LOT less flexibility and a number of disadvantages over a basic rifle.. but.. if that's the best option you have.. I'll take 2 rounds of 00 buck from a 28" bbl O/U over a sharp stick...

If you're concerned about the safety, why not leave it with 2 rounds in the chambers, but with the action open.. the time it would take to pick up the gun and close the action is only a fraction of a second longer than the time it takes to just pick up the gun..

Same would apply to the coyote and coon situation you describe in the OP.. if its a pest on the property, the additional .5 second to close the action while picking the gun up wont make any difference at all in the intended engagement that's going to take place 10-60 seconds later anyway..

I hadn’t thought about leaving it open. I like that idea. Just have to come up with a way to have it that the shells don’t fall out. Lol if it is setting upright you can shut the action in the same motion as picking it up.

shootist~

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA
Or you could turn it into a tactical two-shooter with a stock mounted ammo carrier.

Better yet, get a Benelli M2 S-90, add the factory or aftermarket extention tube and a side saddle. (Or any proven reliable semi-auto.) FWIW, Federal reduced velocity 9 pellet 00 buck runs my M1 S90 very well. Used to buy it by the case in my 3-Gun days.

Mine holds 8+2 plus 6 in the side saddle, not that I leave it loaded. It stays in the safe. The closet gun is a 14.5" AR with 30 round mag.

BTW, we used to see more shooter induced malfunctions with pumps than semi-autos. Stress and lack of training often equals a short stroke.

My $.02.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcornell

Latest profile posts

Roberto Mervicini wrote on krish's profile.
Hello Krish, a member told me that maybe you could help. I am making a 470 Capsticklooking to buy a chamber reamer, reloading die and need some info in regard to loading a 500 grain bullet .475 hard cast gas check to start, have : IMR 4350, 4831, 3031, h1000, RETUMBO and N150.
If you could help i appreciate,
Best Regards, Thanks Roberto
Got this old guy this year in Mafikeng on the plains with a long shot at 300ms he measured just over 19.5 inch
blesbuck.jpg
Bush Buck wrote on VonJager's profile.
Hi Tom,

Our conversation record is lost on my end. I'm not sure what happened.
You sent a message last Thursday that you had received my payment for the Ruger 9.3x62.
Can you give me an update about shipping please.

Thanks,
Robert
From PA I am an NRA endowment member SCI member RMEF member have been to Africa three times and many elk hunts in Colorado
elephantmaster29 wrote on Norbert Hansen's profile.
Norbert, thanks for your post! Would you ever be open to disccussing elephant?