Nyala or Waterbuck

Nyala, a top spiral trophy and one of the most beautiful animals in all of Africa. Waterbuck are a big tough animal but much less in the looks department.

I would take the first representative animal available of the two. I would take what Africa offers. I would not decide now. Wait and see what you have the opportunity to harvest.

I had both on my list for first Trip but only got the Nyala . Second trip I got the waterbuck.

I really love them both. When I booked my safari with @KMG Hunting Safaris it was for a Spiral Horn package. But I really really wanted a Waterbuck. So I asked to swap one for the Eland. I ended up shooting a great bull and couldn’t be happier. Then I added a Blue Wildebeest, Springbok and Blesbok because who knows when I’ll get back there!
If you are unable to take both, go with what your heart tells you. Good luck!

Targets of opportunity. Take whichever one shows first. If you go searching for a specific animal you won't find him. We stumbled onto a group of about 6 or 8 waterbuck on the way back to the lodge. "Which one?" " Take the second one." He was 29.5 x 30.5 and a big one. Same with nyala. We were hunting kudu and this beauty stepped out of the bush and looked at us. "Take him!" I did.

I wanted both, but our budget limited us to only one, since I also had Kudu on my list. I went with Nyala, because I had a shot at a nice one. Definitely agree Nyala is more elegant, while Waterbuck is purely more masculine, but both are impressive. Waterbuck is on my list for next time, along with a Sable. All together, we had 8 (four for me, for for my husband) on our first hunt. (me: Blue Wildabeest, Nyala, Kudu & Red Hartebeest - him: Zebra, Gemsbok, Impala & Blesbuck). We keep joking that for the next couple of years, we'll just be giving each other taxidermy for Christmas & birthday :) Enjoy your hunt!.

Nyala is much rarer to see. You can collect that waterbuck in a much broader territory (on many diff. safaris.) I was fortunate to complete the spiral horn slam on one safari spanning SA and Zim 14 yrs ago, where a now-retired PH worked hard to collect all PG trophies of interest. I passed up many waterbuck on that trip, as it wasn't on the list at the time. 'Son and I collected two fine waterbuck on later safaris, and come to think of it, I've only encountered nyala in 1 safari out of 6! I believe the nyala would be the easier of the two trophies to collect, as they don't typically herd together and like more open areas (just male/female pairs like the pygmy antelope,) thus stalking up is usually no problem. On the other hand, I've had a lot of thick, riverine area waterbuck get spooked and blow out! Good luck.

Last edited:
Nyala is much rarer to see. You can collect that waterbuck in a much broader territory (on many diff. safaris.) I was fortunate to complete the spiral horn slam on one safari spanning SA and Zim 14 yrs ago, where a now-retired PH worked hard to collect all PG trophies of interest. I passed up many waterbuck on that trip, as it wasn't on the list at the time. 'Son and I collected two fine waterbuck on later safaris, and come to think of it, I've only encountered nyala in 1 safari out of 6! I believe the nyala would be the easier of the two trophies to collect, as they don't typically herd together and like more open areas (just male/female pairs like the pygmy antelope,) thus stalking up is usually no problem. On the other hand, I've had a lot of thick, riverine area waterbuck get spooked and blow out! Good luck.
You completed the spiral horn slam on one safari in Zim and SA?!? Where did you stumble across that Mountain Nyala, Lesser Kudu, Livingstone Eland etc. I think there are fifteen different spiral horns recognized by SCI as the complete "slam." It is often a decades long effort (and monumental financial commitment). I believe we have one member that I know of who has done it. Could well be others. Or is something else now being marketed as a "slam?"

Last edited:
I would suggest keeping an open mind, you may bump into a great 27 inch Nyala, dont pass it up you may also bump into a great 28 inch Waterbuck dont pass it up......you may even change your mind when you see them as to which one you would prefer....
Best reply yet, IMO

Or is something else now being marketed as a "slam?"
I've heard marketing of a "spiral slam" as a 4 animal group: Kudu, Eland, Bushbuck, Nyala.

Obviously this doesn't account for variants (lesser/greater Kudu, Cape/Limpopo bushbuck, Livingston/Lord Derby Eland, etc.), so it probably depends on how expansive you want to get with the list for what constitutes a "slam".

I did a euro mount with my waterbuck and nyala. I also had a beautiful rug made out of my nyala hide.

you may even change your mind when you see them as to which one you would prefer....

This happened to me...

I had no desire to pursue a waterbuck... until I saw mine... then I knew I had to hunt him...

I've heard marketing of a "spiral slam" as a 4 animal group: Kudu, Eland, Bushbuck, Nyala.

Obviously this doesn't account for variants (lesser/greater Kudu, Cape/Limpopo bushbuck, Livingston/Lord Derby Eland, etc.), so it probably depends on how expansive you want to get with the list for what constitutes a "slam".
If you peruse SA hunting outfitter sites. more than a couple have noted a "Spiral Slam" package available, consisting of Eland, Nyala, Kudu and Bushbuck, as you noted @Tbitty. Personally, the most frequent Grand Slam I complete is at Denny's; 2 sunny-side up eggs, 2 slices of wheat toast, 2 strips of bacon and two sausage patties or links. Not as exciting as hunting in Africa but tastes good!
And I definitely want to hunt a waterbuck next year!

Be prepared to take both!-on the eastern cape you will see very good bulls of each and with some effort could take both on the same trip. My first African animal was Nyala but the waterbuck was my favorite stalk and probably represents me better. You can add a day or two and an animal or two and you should.

If you need an excuse to travel around Africa a bit. Do not forget there are several subspecies of Waterbuck. Common, Defassa, Crawshay Defassa, East African, and Sing-Sing are five from my old mans memory.

Excellent Nyala are to be found in Zim, Mozambique and RSA.

Best Nyala in RSA are to be found in KZN, northern parts and Umkomaas Valley and Natal Midlands....
I’ll be in KZN and Midlands next week for Nyala and other game.

For me, it’s the Nyala. It took three trips before I even laid eyes on one. It became the elusive grail. And I must say, I have never seen a more beautiful animal, even in death. Waterbuck is a great trophy. Mine was happenstance. I didn’t even have time to think about it. But I regret neither one and am proud of both. Good luck and take what the safari throws at you. It makes for an unpredictable and exciting hunt!

I would suggest keeping an open mind, you may bump into a great 27 inch Nyala, dont pass it up you may also bump into a great 28 inch Waterbuck dont pass it up......you may even change your mind when you see them as to which one you would prefer....
^^ Absolutely good advice. Preconceived notions.... hmmm. I hear it all the time from those who have never been there, hunted or seen the various game in person. Just the other day at the shooting range, I heard all about how hunting eland was akin to hunting slow domestic cows...oookiedokie.

Both are good trophy game. Nyala- like a large bushbuck with pantaloons vs bullseye butt waterbuck :). I have always liked waterbuck! But that's just me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you