Not keeping trophies on first plains game hunt?

Seems crazy to pay for a trophy hunt and not take trophies. A cull hunt is every bit as good a hunt as a trophy hunt and less expensive. That's what I'd be doing.

Its been several years since my only african hunting trip and yes all of the extras are costly. I chose to have the taxidermy done in South Africa and saved over half. I had them shipper via container ship and saved a lot there too. I has very satisfied with the whole experience and enjoy those trophies daily.

Agree with several suggestions above. On two of my hunts, the PH's were pretty much professional photographers. The first having a rag and water to wash every trace of blood off. On that hunt, posing for pictures was far and away the most dangerous part of the whole trip. Got picked and poked by several varieties of flora;)

As for skull mounts, it is expensive to get Euro mounts. Alternatively simply have skulls cleaned and bleached. Half or less the cost. Mount them yourself or simply by the Skullhooker hooks.

Be aware of the VAT, clarify with your outfitter and inquire about the PH's photography skills and patience. Have curios made is a great suggestion also. Especially with non cities animals.
My wife also wraps a cleaned skull with an African themed fabric which looks better than plain.

Look at "She Hunter"
on here ..She has pictures posted there.Thanks

fabric-head-01.jpg
fabric-head-03.jpg
fabric-head-07.jpg
fabric-head-08.jpg
fabric-head-06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I do skull wraps on the European mounts : they look really nice and can be coordinated to your décor. Great look for those wo don't care for the bare skull look. Many other designs are available, these are my own trophies.

I do enjoy my shoulder mounts but I wonder what my heirs will think of them.
I have friend who is a surgeon. He had a partner who was a big time African hunter as well as being a great surgeon. When that individual died, I asked my friend what the family did with the taxidermy. The key part of a much longer answer was, "It has been quite a burden for the family." Something to consider.

I have started giving information to my wife about selling mounts. Hopefully, she'll outlive me and I won't have to deal with the problem.

Reactions: ack
Seems crazy to pay for a trophy hunt and not take trophies. A cull hunt is every bit as good a hunt as a trophy hunt and less expensive. That's what I'd be doing.
We kept trophies from 1 st. two hunts....then started the cull,,,same expereience but a whole lot cheaper....unfortnately I don't own an oil well...after awhile u get too many.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauriMolon

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!