Nosler Solids for Cape Buffalo

Jeff 907

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, Namibia, South Africa
There is a ton of information on this forum alone about solids for Cape buffalo. Usually Woodleigh and North Fork but I never see Nosler mentioned. So are they any good? There is a local shop here that has a few boxes of 400g Nosler solids for 416 Rigby. What are people’s opinions about them? If anything, I’ll see how they shoot and if my rifle doesn’t like them at least I’ll have brass for reloading.

Thanks

Softs on buff, you want as much damage as possible. Do as your PH says.
I used softs Hornady DGX on a frontal heart shot. Buff went no where.
Another buff was broadside and did not run far, used a second shot just to finish him.

Another buff was broadside and did not run far, used a second shot just to finish him.
I agree with you Roger.

Woodleigh Weldcore .411 400 grain bullet at 2076 fps shot through guts, heart and out between front legs!

Used the same on my buff even though many despise that ammo. I would also suggest to the OP Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bear Claws.

Ask your PH. Although I used a soft (Barnes TSX) for the first shot, my PH had me back it up with solids (I used Barnes in my .416 Ruger). Given the penetration of the soft on the frontal shot, I don’t know if solids are needed.
Barnes, Trophy Bonded, Woodleigh, Swift, North Fork and a few others are softs that will create maximum damage.

There is a ton of information on this forum alone about solids for Cape buffalo. Usually Woodleigh and North Fork but I never see Nosler mentioned. So are they any good? There is a local shop here that has a few boxes of 400g Nosler solids for 416 Rigby. What are people’s opinions about them? If anything, I’ll see how they shoot and if my rifle doesn’t like them at least I’ll have brass for reloading.

Thanks
On one water buffalo I used Nosler solids as back shots after using a Swift A-frame for my first shot. I was using a 375H&H and after my one and only experience I doubt I will use any solids again on buffalo. My back up shots were on a buffalo that wasn't running in a straight direct line away from me so the 2 solids I fired hit the bull on an angle and going straight through and doing very little damage. Maybe solids out of a bigger calibre would be more effective as they would create a bigger wound channel. Having said all this the Nosler solids do exactly what they are supposed to there is no doubt about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross