Texas-LTH

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Mexico, USA, Canada
So for my trip to SA, largest animal hunting will be Kudu and Gemsbok. Have always shot 180 grain NP out of my 30-06. Picked up a box of 200 grain bear claws and the ole Remington likes them too. What are your suggestions?

I like the Bear Claws!

Both will work fine but I would give the edge to the bear claw.

Not a fan of the partition. Nothing wrong with it, just a fan of others. I would take the Bear Claw.

Which ever your gun likes best. IMO The 200 gr is a good choice.
As they say "Go big or go home". Those are both tough animals, so the heavier the bullet, to me shows more respect for the animal.
As usual JMO (man do we old farts have opinions!!!)

Thanks gents. Think I will give the bear claws a chance. Got a few pigs that need some killin.

Post some pictures of those pigs so we can see how good they worked.

It is weird the only bullet my 300 win mag does not like is a nolser partition.

My Tikka seems to like the 200 gr OK :)

IMG_1398.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Post some pictures of those pigs so we can see how good they worked.

It is weird the only bullet my 300 win mag does not like is a nolser partition.
Yes sir will do. I have a bruiser that comes just about every night about 2 hours after dark. Have him on camera in the back 40. Going to put one of these bear claws through his shield.

The partition was designed to shear off the front half of the bullet while the core remained intact. The bear claw will hold together particularly since you are shooting 200gr which won't be moving very fast. I have always prefered the A-Frame to the partition if your gun shoots them

Considering that Jack Carter relied heavily on Bill Steigers R&D in the making of the TBC, and that either Bills or Jacks bullets will outperform the Partition, since you apparently don't have a stash of BBCs I'd recommend the TBC.

The partition was designed to shear off the front half of the bullet while the core remained intact. The bear claw will hold together particularly since you are shooting 200gr which won't be moving very fast. I have always prefered the A-Frame to the partition if your gun shoots them
lcq has it spot on sir shot many things with the ol nosler part the front end splats out like hand grenade back half tumbles on thru. they work just fine for an old design, but todays newer bonded bullets probably better in my opinion. I personally don't like bear claws never shot well in a single gun old bullet design too.

Reactions: lcq
Either will do fine. I use 180 grain Nosler partions in my 300 mag on my safaris and here in the US and have always been pleased.

Choose what groups best. I've taken moose, elk, and caribou using Nosler partions with fantastic results. I chose my larger trophies as a point of reference. 90% of all my trophies were taken using Nosler portions. Either will do the job if you do yours. Good luck!

Honestly, I used 168's.... Your situation....go for a touch lighter & more KE!

Outfitter for 33yrs Hunter for 45yrs. As with anything else the old Partitions are not the new. The partition was never designed to blow the front half off, at max on the old design it would be a 60/40 split. With the new technology and bonding partitions are built for caliber. The large calibers also have the partition moved forward for dangerous game. In 1997 my wife and I took our 1st Safari to SA. She was shooting a 280 Rem with factory 150gr, Trophy bonded Bear Claws. Her 1st animal was a Gemsbok at about 175yds slightly quartering towards us. Hit right on the point of the shoulder it spun and took off with no indication of a hit. PH and my wife followed the animal for over a 1/2mile with several other shots inflicted. Final result was failure to expand or very little expansion. Original shot hit the shoulder and followed the shoulder blade to exit behind and no penetration. My wife shot an Impala the following day and had the same result with the bullets not expanding. I shot 2 Black Wildebeest with the same round and they worked very well. After that I switched to 150gr. partitions and had 1 shot kills on several more animals. I shot 12 animals from Cape Springbok to Kudu with a 300 H&H with 180gr. partitions all 1 shot kills. My other 2 hunting partners shot a variety of PG with 7Rem mags 1 with 150gr partitions and the other with 160 parts. Only 1 Blue Wildebeest took 2 shots. 2007 we went to Zim and I shot a Zebra, Hyena, Warthog and several Impala all 1 shot kills from a 7 Wthby and 150gr partition. 33yrs of Outfitting from Bear to Bighorn to Moose and everything in between. Several 100 animals including mine and I never saw a Partition fail. And I hate a bad or misplaced shot but at least we always had a blood trail to follow. If Nosler Partitions have a failing why is everyone trying to improve on their design? That includes Nosler. 60 years and still #1 IMHO!!

Outfitter for 33yrs Hunter for 45yrs. As with anything else the old Partitions are not the new. The partition was never designed to blow the front half off, at max on the old design it would be a 60/40 split. With the new technology and bonding partitions are built for caliber. The large calibers also have the partition moved forward for dangerous game. In 1997 my wife and I took our 1st Safari to SA. She was shooting a 280 Rem with factory 150gr, Trophy bonded Bear Claws. Her 1st animal was a Gemsbok at about 175yds slightly quartering towards us. Hit right on the point of the shoulder it spun and took off with no indication of a hit. PH and my wife followed the animal for over a 1/2mile with several other shots inflicted. Final result was failure to expand or very little expansion. Original shot hit the shoulder and followed the shoulder blade to exit behind and no penetration. My wife shot an Impala the following day and had the same result with the bullets not expanding. I shot 2 Black Wildebeest with the same round and they worked very well. After that I switched to 150gr. partitions and had 1 shot kills on several more animals. I shot 12 animals from Cape Springbok to Kudu with a 300 H&H with 180gr. partitions all 1 shot kills. My other 2 hunting partners shot a variety of PG with 7Rem mags 1 with 150gr partitions and the other with 160 parts. Only 1 Blue Wildebeest took 2 shots. 2007 we went to Zim and I shot a Zebra, Hyena, Warthog and several Impala all 1 shot kills from a 7 Wthby and 150gr partition. 33yrs of Outfitting from Bear to Bighorn to Moose and everything in between. Several 100 animals including mine and I never saw a Partition fail. And I hate a bad or misplaced shot but at least we always had a blood trail to follow. If Nosler Partitions have a failing why is everyone trying to improve on their design? That includes Nosler. 60 years and still #1 IMHO!!

Love it, I too have always had devastating effect with NP's will dance with the one who brung me on this one pard. 180 NP it is!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you