North Star Master Carver Gunstock Duplicator

John P.

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I have a word document with a lot of photos showing how to set up this machine and duplicate gunstocks. If anyone is interested I will past it into a thread. Some of you that frequent the AR forum have seen a few of the photos.

upload_2016-4-5_20-46-47.png

A friend of mine bought a duplicator last year. I have two stock blanks ready to go. I am still working on my pattern stock.

Pictured is some walnut along with the original stock that I plan on replacing. I just may have to play a little with that pattern stock today.
Thanks for posting.
DSCN0188.JPG

I just now saw that you are in PNW. Where?
I'm in southern Oregon.

Very nice looking block of wood.

I just now saw that you are in PNW. Where?
I'm in southern Oregon.

Port Angeles, up on the Straits of Juan de Fuca. Two miles from salt water! Anxiously waiting for Chinook season.

Back to guns: Very nice blank.

RE Pattern stocks: this one is made from hard maple. Note the cut in the wrist area for cast off: Cut out a wedge of wood, bend the butt for desired cast off, glue back together with epoxy. In this photo I am bedding the action and barrel channel for a smooth surface for the tracer to follow. I paint the patterns with hard black epoxy after final sanding, this leaves a nice slick surface for the tracer.

upload_2016-4-6_10-13-5.png

Another pattern stock. Extending the grip for a guy with big hands. Bondo is the pattern makers friend! There is a piece of 3/4" thick oak screwed to the stock under the bondo. I use wood when modifying a stock for good structural support. The Bondo is used to fair out everything. Just like body and fender work in the Auto Shop. Thick gobs of Bondo will eventually crack and separate.

upload_2016-4-6_10-15-29.png

The pattern and a blank chucked up in the duplicator.

upload_2016-4-6_10-19-25.png

Scribing the outline onto the blank, then the blank goes to the band saw to remove excess wood.

upload_2016-4-6_10-20-53.png

I will post more if you gents want to see all of the steps.

Keep this coming JohnP I find it very interesting!

I just came in from shooting squirrels. I found some loose .22 ammo and decided it was wrong to not use it. In just a little over 90 minutes I shot 92 rounds of .22. The result was 2 dead rock chucks (yellow bellied marmots) and approximately 55 beldings ground squirrels.

I have a few chores to do, but will put up a photo of both blanks that I have along with where I am at with the pattern stock.

That appears to be a nice chunk of wood you are about to whittle into. Maple? Nice figure to it.

I just photographed where I am at with my pattern and the two pieces of wood that eventually will go on Remington 700 Actions.
It is my first attempt at a pattern... I will take any suggestions.

Both pieces of wood come from Cooks Woods in Klamath Falls, Oregon. He supplies a lot of the high end makers in the US and even Europe. The one piece on the left is Tiger Myrtle , the one on the right is the same piece of walnut as photographed before.

DSCN1641.JPG
DSCN1643.JPG

Beautiful piece of myrtle!

You are on the right track with the pattern: Screws, extra wood, glue, Bondo and a lot of sanding!

What caliber is the rifle? The grip area is looking a little thin for anything larger than a 300, might be the camera angle. I reinforce grips on big bores with a section of alloy all thread: Glued into a hole drilled in the grip. Drill the hole from the action area prior to inserting pillars. A 5 to 6 inch length of 3/8" or 1/2" all thread epoxied in the hole will greatly strengthen the grip. I have seen grip areas split from heavy recoil. Can't find alloy all thread, then use a grade 5 or grade 8 bolt with the head cut off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg