North American Puma/Cougar - extinct?

Arizona cat
DSC00440.JPG

Nice cat Reedy! I'm jealous! Been twice to NM chasing them only to come up dry. That's why I decided with our cat population I'd try it myself.

Bhfs, I'll let everyone know what happens assuming I survive

Solo mission isn't a good choice? That's too bad. However, I'll have a look around after I catch up on classwork. I'd really like to have one of those beauties

Thank you @Ridgewalker ! Here is another pic to show the size of this tom

IMG950239.jpg

No legal to hunt in Kansas, but we have a number of confirmed sightings.....they are expanding their range.

Cougar are classified as Varmints in Texas along with coyotes, wolves, and any other beasties that might kill cattle. Black bear are trying to make a comeback along the borders of LA, AR, OK, and Mexico and it will be interesting to see how that will be handled by the parks and wildlife folk.

There are many more Cougars than most folk realize because the are mostly nocturnal unless it is a female feeding her young. One day south of Sonora, I did see a big male hunting deer during the day. Later that afternoon those deer spooked and ran into a plum thicket. While I was sitting in a bush hide, trying to figure out why they spooked, the big cat screamed !!!
They can get your attention when they scream in the evening. Always makes me think it is time to head for the car or camp.

1634598562274.jpeg

Good book. Downfalls of attempting to manage mountain lions with emotion versus science. Didn’t end well for the high school athlete or the cougar.

Cougar are classified as Varmints in Texas along with coyotes, wolves, and any other beasties that might kill cattle. Black bear are trying to make a comeback along the borders of LA, AR, OK, and Mexico and it will be interesting to see how that will be handled by the parks and wildlife. . .

Unfortunately, that is correct: in Texas they are listed as vermin and not game animals as they should be. And unfortunately, Elk are not listed game animals, but as exotics. Neither one will be allowed into Boone & Crockett if harvested in Texas because they are not listed as game animals.

Update to my above post, Boone and Crockett will allow on a case by case basis from Texas.

Wes,
Because I do not care about Boone and Crockett scores or any such stuff, I respectfully disagree with your opinion about Cougars and elk as you stated above. THE LAST THING TEXAS NEEDS IS MORE BUREOCRACY INVOLVED IN SHOOTING AND HUNTING. BOTH COUGAR AND ELK SEEM TO DO OK WITH THINGS AS IS.
Imagine being hauled into DPS in Austin when a rancher shoots a cougar for eating his guard dog , bird dog, or daughters puppy. As you may well surmise, I feel the same way about wolves where they are protected.

After the state's residents voted to outlaw hunting with dogs the cat population here exploded, as the hunting season is when the snows are deep. The young cats are now showing up regularly in the urbanized foothills trying to establish their own ranges.
It's only when a cat (invariably the young ones) manages to chew up a jogger and such that the state allows an "approved" "master hunter" and their dog team to go chase the cat down and dispatch it. The problem is the dwindling supply of experienced dog teams left around....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg