North American big 5

Newtothis

Reaction score
What’s everyone idea of what the big 5 in North America is because there’s conflicting info out there so I’m going to go with what I think
Polar bear, can weight over a ton where lions are 500
Brown bear/grizzly can go from 89-1500 depending on the species and are known for killing bison,moose and reports of tigers being killed in Siberia
Moose are often larger then most plains game in Africa with only the eland being larger
Bison both subspecies in America can grow to over a ton and have thick hide
Mountain lion they around the same size of 200 pounds and Both can be very dangerous if provoked
I would include the American alligator and elk as both have been known to attack people and can grow to large sizes
Let me know what you guys think

Im not sure we really have an equivalent of the African "Big 5" or "Dangerous 7"...

We certainly have animals that potentially can hurt you, have predators, etc.. but our primary predators (that are hunted) like Moutain Lion/Cougar, Brown Bear, etc.. are rarely an actual threat to humans unless provoked or cornered, etc.. and our big herbivores like bison, moose, etc can be aggressive.. but again, there no comparison to a truly pissed off moose and a mildly irritated cape buffalo.. the cape buff is the far bigger threat..

Even our big lizards pale in the shadow of their african counterparts.. both in terms of size and their aggressive nature/predation of humans...

Its a total guess on my part.. but I'd bet more people are injured every year by feral pigs in North America than any other animal.. I know several people that have managed to get their ass handed to them by a pissed off or wounded pig... but dont personally know anyone that has actually been injured by an alligator, bear, cougar, moose, bison, etc... (I know attacks happen every year.. and a handful of people actually are killed.. but I dont personally know anyone thats been subject to an attack... while I personally know probably a half dozen people that have been hit by a pig...)...

If danger is a criterion folks up here (Alaska) have a lot more fear/respect of moose than they do bears, for what it's worth. Yeah, bears have the teeth but moose are far more unpredictable.

And from a "scary" standpoint I'd add a hunting buddy that flails against the side of the tent at night in his sleep in bear country and wakes you up, and a mating male porcupine that starts squealing right next to the tent at 2 AM - both are very, very scary. One has no hunting season at all; the other has no closed season. My hunting buddy is large enough to maybe make a Big 5... porcupines not so much. :p

No offense meant, but who cares?

Unless one is trying to create a new class of trophy for bragging rights? Not why I hunt.

1 vote for the gator , they can be bashful.... and then they can be down right sinister

Attachments

• 20121028_181751.jpg
    20121028_181751.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 20121015_114228.jpg
    20121015_114228.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 114
If you are wondering what are the biggest 5 animals (native to) in North America, USA and Canada.

I would say:

Bison
Moose
Elk (Rocky Mountain/American,
Roosevelt, Tule, Manitoba)
Bear (Polar, Grizzly/Brown, Black)

Number 5 is personal choice as these are much the same +/- body weight :

(IMO) Caribou*

deer* (whitetail, mule, blacktail)

* Caribou and deer can be about the same weight depending on where you are and sub species of deer you're hunting.

Or one could easily choose

Mountain goat
Mountain sheep
Mountain lion/ Cougar
Feral hog
Alligator

MY top 7 pick for dangerous North American animals: (in no specific order of ranking of most to least dangerous as it depends on one's location.)

Alligator
Bear
Cougar
Moose
Feral hog
Wolf
Coyote

If you're just wanting to compare what Americans call dangerous animals to Africa's dangerous animals there is no comparison. Africa has the most dangerous animals in the world.

What’s everyone idea of what the big 5 in North America is because there’s conflicting info out there so I’m going to go with what I think
Polar bear, can weight over a ton where lions are 500
Brown bear/grizzly can go from 89-1500 depending on the species and are known for killing bison,moose and reports of tigers being killed in Siberia
Moose are often larger then most plains game in Africa with only the eland being larger
Bison both subspecies in America can grow to over a ton and have thick hide
Mountain lion they around the same size of 200 pounds and Both can be very dangerous if provoked
I would include the American alligator and elk as both have been known to attack people and can grow to large sizes
Let me know what you guys think

Tricky question.

Mountain lions and alligators are certainly nowhere near as dangerous as Leopards and Crocodiles.

Bison are dangerous but not nearly as dangerous as cape buffalo.

No real comparison to dangerous game in America. On the other hand, being in Africa hunting is not particularly hazardous compared to what elk, goat, and sheep hunters endure in the US and Canada...the landscape can kill you very easily.

I would put Dall Sheep and Mountain Goat on a North American Big 5 list. Taken into account where they live I’d hazard a guess that an awful lot of hunters, if having to go it alone couldn’t or wouldn’t be able to hike in, kill one and pack it out.
Those who have done it or tried probably know what I’m talking about.

Most deadly animal in North America is the Tick. I hunt them with permethrin. :ROFLMAO:

I don’t believe our line up would even compare but here goes nothing:

most dangerous I guess:
Polar bear
Brown bear
Grizzly bear
Mountain lion
Alligator/wolf

I think most peoples big 5 would be:

dalls sheep
Yukon Moose
Brown bear
Elk
Mule deer

If the Big 5 would the finest trophies, then I would say:

Brown Bear
Mountain Goat
Sheep of some kind (Bighorn, Dall, Stone, Desert)
Rocky Mountain Elk
Yukon Moose

If the Big 5 would the finest trophies, then I would say:

Brown Bear
Mountain Goat
Sheep of some kind (Bighorn, Dall, Stone, Desert)
Rocky Mountain Elk
Yukon Moose
Most dangerous bar none---woman.

Most dangerous bar none---woman.

:E Rofl:

Newtothis was asking about North American Big 5.

Not the most; size, shape and color variant, obnoxiously fickled sensitive, can't live with / can't live without, cute and cuddly, soft, warm and sweet, meanest, cold hearted and tough as rawhide, love the boyfriend the way he is and then once they marry the boyfriend they are constantly trying to change the husband, gotta love 'em through thick and thin,.......but by far the most dangerous critters on this planet.....Women.

:E Rofl:

True I just did this for fun and as an analogy for North American game as the African species are far more dangerous

Mosquitoes in African kill more people than all the NA's big game put together.
Believe that statement would hold true by replacing "NA's" with any continent including Africa.

Well, a slight twist is the Texas Grand Slam (Big Four), Whitetail Deer, Mule Deer, Pronghorn and Desert Big Horn Sheep. TPWD sell lottery ticket every year for the big four.

Last edited:
I maybe wrong, but I think I have figured out a North American animal to but on the North American dangerous game list.

This animal is not very big, actually very small compared to other North American animals. They are soft, maybe some people would call them cute, maybe even cuddly, maybe even loveable. Yet this critter has been known to cause a great commotion just by showing itself. The danger is creating a stampede of 1 or more people in a rush to get away from the mere area when this critter just wonders in unexpectedly.

Although more of a nuisance. This critter will attack if provoked or just because it can, with deadly accuracy, like a spitting cobra, with long lasting effects because their scent last along time even after they have left the vicinity. Something like that of the African waterbuck, but much worse than a waterbuck, because the scent doesn't wash off so easily.

There are various color phases from more or less solid black to more or less solid white, even as very rare albino.

Here are a couple of pictures if you haven't figured out this animal I'm describing:

1652822900901.png

1652822982625.png

Although its teeth and claws will definitely hurt when bitten and/ or scratched. Its repulsive spray will forever linger. The person sprayed will forever go though life enduring various skunk jokes, stories and puns of being skunked.

Disclaimer:

I've never been skunked....yet....and hopefully never will. As I can say I have in good fun delivered (more than) a few humourous one liners at a couple of friends expense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg