Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Anyone used this stuff before? Like it? I snagged an 8# jug a while back when nothing else was available in that burn range which is said to be similar to perhaps a bit faster than IMR 4350.
The Norma site shows its application in a number of rounds, but of course not the one I am using it in, which is mostly my 8x64s Mark X Mauser. Results have been very good so far in that and also my M98 Mauser 7x57 where it shines.
The Norma site is pretty conservative in their loading data and I dont see any data anywhere to use as a guide, although R904 is said to be similar also and it shows a max load of 58.7 grs as max with a 200 gr bullet. That was my starting load!
Last week in my 8x64 I loaded up a box of 220g Sierra Game King soft points with this stuff, up to 60 grs and shot those off with no signs of pressure at all. So this week I loaded a box of 200gr Speer Hot Core flat base, started at 58 gr and stopped at 62grs, again, no signs of pressure. This load didnt shoot as well as the Sierra load, but was at least adequate, plan to load it beyond 62 by half grains now and see where it allows me to go, then will clock it. Perhaps its slower than advertised.
Am going to also try this in my .338 Win mag and see how it does there.

So far I am impressed with its accuracy potential and if it shows good speed as well it may become a go to powder. At least for now I have a fair amount of it!

Yes I have been using it in my 30/06 & getting 300Win Mag velocities with good accuracy, it was a one off can I got in a deal & I wish I could get more .

Perfect timing… I just got done loading some 130 gr Sierra Game Changers with this powder in a 6.5 Creedmoor. It and RL17 give me the same accuracy, .82”-..88” but 24 fps less velocity.
I tried it with 165 Nosler AB’s in an .30/06 and it only gave 1.4” groups.

Yes I have been using it in my 30/06 & getting 300Win Mag velocities with good accuracy, it was a one off can I got in a deal & I wish I could get more .
I got mine from Powder Valley a while back when nothing else was around, they had a few N powders for sale so tried it. How would you personally rate it per its burn rate?
It seems to me so far at least that its not prone to sudden pressure spikes.

Perfect timing… I just got done loading some 130 gr Sierra Game Changers with this powder in a 6.5 Creedmoor. It and RL17 give me the same accuracy, .82”-..88” but 24 fps less velocity.
I tried it with 165 Nosler AB’s in an .30/06 and it only gave 1.4” groups.
The one burn rate chart I have that shows URP on it, shows it to be in line with R17, H4350 and a 24 fps variance could be from any number of reasons.

I have some and have tried it a couple of years ago. You're right it is inline with the 4350 powders and I think maybe gives a better performance. But I got even better performance with VVN550 and RL-16. If I wasn't using VVN550 and RL-16 I would be using URP.

Im not sure on the burn rate sorry, as I knew nothing of this powder but found a little bit or based my loads from Nomra MRP, I just kept loading up until I got pressure signs, I can't remember if I did but the velocity was great & it felt like it to, the recoil is similar to the Hornady Light Mags I used to use with the 180gr at over 2900fps, mine are more than that & all ill need .

Im not sure on the burn rate sorry, as I knew nothing of this powder but found a little bit or based my loads from Nomra MRP, I just kept loading up until I got pressure signs, I can't remember if I did but the velocity was great & it felt like it to, the recoil is similar to the Hornady Light Mags I used to use with the 180gr at over 2900fps, mine are more than that & all ill need .
MRP is essentially R22 which is somewhat slower than this range. I havent been able to find any 19 or 22 in quite some time, both great powders, though there is not much difference between them.

I find Alliant's 4000MR to fall between RL-19 & RL-22. It works great in my 6mm Remington & 8x68s & .300WM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!