JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Gday all,

Not yet set but I'm leaning towards trying the 156gn Norma oryx for my soon to be 275 Rigby.

I've had no experience with them before but interested in hearing other people's thoughts on the round and how they have performed in any calibre.

Cheers

I think the 156 gr Norma Oryx is what @Red Leg likes in his 275 Rigby. I have a box on order and will be giving them a try in my new 7x57.

Depending on what game and distances you will be hunting the 156 Gr. Orex bullet is a good choice. Maybe not optimal but more than adequate.

As most Swedes I’ve used the Oryx a bit. I’ve shot moose, fallow deer and roe deer with it in .30-06.
Have worked very well. No bullets recovered, but all animals died without any drama. Longest shot has probably been 80m.

Have not shot any animal with my 7x57R, only on targets and with Norma Factory ammo. No issues with the accuracy.
My dad has shoot one moose with the Oryx in .30-06 and my mom one with Oryx in 308W.
I like the Oryx, but I do not have enough experience to make a ranking list, comparing it with others. Within the typical distances for a 7x57 I would think the Oryx would be a great companion to that caliber and weight, 156 or 170 whichever works best for you and your rifle.

//Gus

I've posted in various places about the Oryx.
I used the 200gr Oryx in my 300wm and it was a good combination. very accurate and none of the animals argued about performance...

Yeah sorry it'll be an all round bullet to take everything from hog deer at 30m to sambar out to 350m. The latter is where things need to be most precise. Most will be red and fallow deer between 50-200m.

There's no buff or anything like that on my horizons unfortunately! So i guess a relation for the American guys would be something to an elk size and for Africa no idea! maybe a kudu?

I picked up both the 170 and 156 gr Oryx, loaded by Hendershot’s, when I purchased my .275. Both shoot sub-MOA and only about 1.5 vertical inches between the groups. Perfect. To date I have only shot a whitetail and that with the 170. He took about six steps and expired and the bullet may still be going. Both would work on PG though I am a penetration guy when it comes to African game, so would personally use the 170’s.

Completely agree... Norma Oryx bullets perform great! I use them with my 7x64.

My best,
Jacques

I shoot them for Oklahoma whitetail deer out of 243win. with excellent results.
I planned to use 180gr Oryx out of my 300wsm on an Eland hunt but could not get the bullet, only loaded ammo. I prefer to handload so went with 180 A-frame. I really like the bullet. Wish it was more available for hand loading.

Yeah, checked there, MidwayUSA, and tried Norma directly. Can get the Alaska and Vulkan bullet but only factory loads for the 180 Oryx.

I use 7x57 from Norma with bullet Oryx 10,1g/162gr and from RWS with bullet ID Classic 10,5g/162gr.
I think that this is a very good amunition and enough for any game in Poland.

I used Norma Oryx in 180gr through my 30-06 in Namibia last year.
Absolutely fantastic bullets and all the animals I shot at from Warthog to Kudu were dead with one shot.
I would thoroughly recommend that you try them.
I will use them exclusively in my 30-06 and 375 and 300 Win Mag when the latter two calibres arrive in my possession.

I have used Norma Oryx in 180 gr. 30-06 for Canadian moose, elk and black bear, and in 100 gr. .243 for whitetail deer. Excellent expansion and penetration, good shock effect and did not break apart on hitting large bone. I believe they are nearly ideal for most general medium - large game hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross