Norma Alaska bullet

Quaticman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
Just picked up a couple of boxes of the 286 grain Norma Alaska bullet to try in my 9.3 x 62. What can you tell me about them? What are they similar to?

Just picked up a couple of boxes of the 286 grain Norma Alaska bullet to try in my 9.3 x 62. What can you tell me about them? What are they similar to?
Just going off of what the ad on Norma's website shows, it looks very similar to the woodleigh of similar weight with the possibilty that the woodleigh might be a little heavier built, but that is something I don't know. They don't show a cutaway and without looking at the structure of the bullet it is hard to say how tough they are. It says the jacket is soft (I assume annealed) gilding metal built for "rapid expansion".... I would say get some and give them a try!

Norma Alaska is The classic moose bullet in Sweden. It has killed several 100 000 of mooses throug the years. It is not a bonded bullet like The woodleigh but it has a controled expansion. The typical weight retention is around 80%

Sounds like Swedhunter answered your question. Will you be using yours on moose or bear?

It's no high tech bullet, but it gets the job done. I would say It's like a hornady interlock RN. It's no bullet for high velocity magnum cartridges but in 9,3x62 it should work fine.

The Alaska bullets are very similar to the Sierra/Hornady/Remington/Winchester/RWS round nose soft point. Nothing special, just a good old fashioned reliable bullet designed to be used "heavy for caliber" for moderate speed with good expansion. You will be well equipped while using 296 gr. weight in your 9.3x62 for hunting most animals. For hunting anything especially tough or big, I would suggest the Norma oryx.

oops! meant to type 286 gr. wt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois