Non resident Moose Lottery- Maine, NH or NB

DDSD

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Mex/S.Amer
So, I was hoping to find some input regarding the nonresident moose lottery in Maine, New Hampshire and New Brunswick. I have suddenly got the itch to hunt moose at some point in my life. I live in the eastern US so hunting Maine, New Hampshire or New Brunswick seems appealing and more economical than other options (also getting ready to put 3 kids through college). With that said, I know the odds of drawing are miniscule but if I'm willing to patiently apply for 10-15 years... maybe.

Has anyone had any success with this route? Thoughts? Suggestions? Experiences? Or should I just save my money and go back to Africa! (not a bad option either).

Agree with Lawrence. Your target states/province have a shadow of the moose hunting that once existed. Brainworm spread by deer has a lot to do with that. If I were you I would seriously research a drop hunt in Alaska. They are much less expensive than a guided hunt, and if you go with the right operator your chances at a good bull are quite good.

I looked into it a year or so back and a Newfoundland moose hunts are around five grand a week you can also add stumble on black bear for another 1500 dollars. It’s also easy travelling from the east coast if not for COVID.

If you aren't in a hurry, put in for Maine each year. If you want to put in for bonus point only (and not even get the chance of drawing) it's like $15

Best thing about Maine is pricing and a backup hunter. A good 1:1 guide for a week with lodging is like $3000 for you and your backup hunter. Basically your backup can hunt and shoot a moose on your tag as long as you are present. Good if you fall down and break your arm

Last edited:
I know a few people that put in for Maine and have been successful a couple of times over the years, have to play the lottery there that's for sure.
Newfoundland is the best chance of shooting a moose, hunted there a couple of years ago, have to go through an outfitter - do your homework on the zones and how many outfitters in the zone and how many tags in each zone. Zone i hunted in there were 2 outfitters with 75 tags
Quebec is a decent spot for a fly in, all depends on what you want or how self sufficient you are, and same with Ontario, have done plenty of fly in hunts there.
Looking at Quebec this year, priced right and if the border stays closed i will be picking up a tag from a cancelled US hunter

I would venture a guess that more hunters will be looking to hunt various species that do not require international air travel than was the case prior to the "rona". Playing the lotto for game licenses in multiple states for different species is what made me seriously look at hunting Africa.
I found that I needed more money each year to pay for a letter thanking me for my application and wishing me luck in the next years lotto.
When I got around to doing the math I came close to covering a plains game hunt in Africa with the money I donated to game & fish departments.
The odds of drawing a tag for a swamp donkey are steep no matter the state you are applying in but, you can't win if you don't play.

I've been buying moose preference points in Wyoming for 19 years and still haven't drawn a tag. I booked a moose hunt for this October in BC. BC, Yukon or Alaska are probably your best bets for big moose. BC is not as pricey as Yukon.

The article I just read puts your chances at a Maine moose tag at 1/72 for a resident and 1/1300 for a non-resident. If I remember right there are no preference points either, you can just buy more chances in that year’s lottery? Maybe research Indian reservations that sell moose hunts in Maine? I know they offer bear hunts outside of the fall season.

For sure do Newfoundland. Travel is easy, hunting relatively inexpensive and landscape is beautiful. Combo with a Caribou and a chance black bear. It’s a fantastic trip.

The article I just read puts your chances at a Maine moose tag at 1/72 for a resident and 1/1300 for a non-resident. If I remember right there are no preference points either, you can just buy more chances in that year’s lottery? Maybe research Indian reservations that sell moose hunts in Maine? I know they offer bear hunts outside of the fall season.

There are preference points in addition to purchasing additional entries. Non-res odds of drawing are around 1% --- that's overall numbers thought. Most folks put in for bull tags in the extreme north so I can def see odds plummeting there as opposed to cow tags.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.16 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.18 AM.png
    758.4 KB · Views: 153
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.20 AM.png
    570.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.21 AM.png
    598.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.22 AM.png
    526.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.24 AM.png
    452.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.26 AM.png
    422.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.28 AM.png
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.29 AM.png
    579.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.30 AM.png
    513.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.31 AM.png
    528.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.32 AM.png
    510.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.34 AM.png
    563.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 7.24.35 AM.png
    716.4 KB · Views: 111

There are preference points in addition to purchasing additional entries. Non-res odds of drawing are around 1% --- that's overall numbers thought. Most folks put in for bull tags in the extreme north so I can def see odds plummeting there as opposed to cow tags.
Amazing how fast google search results can lead you in the wrong direction! This was the page I should have referenced. Still very poor odds.

If you have a few years to play the game, by all means apply. I do Maine. I have 5 preference points now I believe. I previously drew a bull tag with 7 points. Other guy in camp was his first year applying! As the saying goes, can't win if you don't play". I will try for a few more years then as I approach 70 yo, I plan on doing Newfoundland. I believe I spent just under 3 grand, had my father with me. That also included processing as I shot one first thing in the morning as he entered a clear cut they had been watching. I hope to do the next one with my bow. Good luck in your decision.

I've put in for Maine moose for several years. A large majority of tags go to residents (90% I think) so tough odds for non-residents from the start. I keep putting in just in case :).

I put in for NH for the last 5 years. When you put in for NH and other certain states you need to keep applying. If you miss a year you loose your points. The way they do it is however many points you have is how many times your name is in the hat. So in theory you could draw with 1 or not draw with 20. If you want to go a certain year you might be better off in Canada or Alaska.

I haven't pulled a Maine Moose lottery tag as a non resident in 20 years. Hopefully before I can't hunt.

I would be tempted to say Canada might be your best bet...

I have hunted moose and Woodland Caribou over 20 times in northern Newfoundland since the mid 80's at Tuckamore Lodge in Main Brook. I have hunted solo, with friends, my daughter and son-in-law, years later with my son from my second marriage and last year with my grandson. We all took our animals and had a great time. The main camp is 4+ Star on a beautiful lake with great accommodations, meals and facilities. There is a remote camp which is literally 13 miles from anything consisting of a modern log cabin situated on a bluff between two lakes (I helped snowmobile the logs and material in one winter) and a third camp in another remote area. The last two camps have a maximum of 4 hunters per hunt and you will not see anyone else during your hunt. Over the years we have taken moose from bootjacks for the meat to bulls measuring 59 inches extreme spread. I have several at 40-42" and one 48". If you want a MONSTER Moose go to the Yukon. If you want a great hunt with great guides and almost 100% success, go to Tuckamore Lodge (tuckamorelodge.com). It is also a great place for Trout and Atlantic Salmon fishing, snowmobiling and general touring. Check it out!!!

Just to add on the Maine moose lottery, the amount non resident tags are around 200-220. You can buy extra blocks of preference points but these points only help you compete with other non residents. unless you buy thousands of points, they're nothing more then a donation to the state of Maine. I don't discount this though, Maine has a wonderful wildlife program and I don't mind sending the extra few bucks every year even when i never draw. 20 years straight and I always apply for either or rather than a bull only. My suggestion is to bear hunt in the north woods. They're fun affordable hunts and you will see plenty of moose as a teaser :ROFLMAO:

3333.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg