Non-Game Species Hunts - Aardwolf?

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Just a random question as I was inspired by a visit this week to the fantastic taxidermy displays at the Field Museum in Chicago.

Can you hunt Aardwolf in Africa? I was struck by their unique evolution and overall beauty. Here is an animal that is evolutionarily a canine and a hardcore carnivore that has evolved into a competitor to aardvarks and anteaters feasting solely on insects. Really an amazing creature to be taken as a specimen if legal?

As an unrelated tangent, the museum had some other striking specimens that were worthy of notice. Hands down the largest sable I've ever seen was on display. Huge is an understatement of its horn length. Also a nice group of Gerenut, lesser and greater kudu, thompson's, rhinos, an okapi and a host of other animals that made me think of the golden era of hunting in the Tanganyika and elsewhere. Worthy of a day's visit.

I know a gent who just took an Aardwolf in Namibia a few weeks ago. Something of a consolation prize as leopard was his primary target. Not sure if they're exportable to the U.S. or not.

Just a random question as I was inspired by a visit this week to the fantastic taxidermy displays at the Field Museum in Chicago.

Can you hunt Aardwolf in Africa? I was struck by their unique evolution and overall beauty. Here is an animal that is evolutionarily a canine and a hardcore carnivore that has evolved into a competitor to aardvarks and anteaters feasting solely on insects. Really an amazing creature to be taken as a specimen if legal?

As an unrelated tangent, the museum had some other striking specimens that were worthy of notice. Hands down the largest sable I've ever seen was on display. Huge is an understatement of its horn length. Also a nice group of Gerenut, lesser and greater kudu, thompson's, rhinos, an okapi and a host of other animals that made me think of the golden era of hunting in the Tanganyika and elsewhere. Worthy of a day's visit.

They are hunt able in the Karoo, Eastern Cape and are exportable if the landowner has done a small carnivore assessment by an environmental consultant. This has to be approved by DEAT. We get limited permits each year and hunted one in July last year. They are nocturnal and have to be hunted at night.

............... They are nocturnal and have to be hunted at night.

or get lucky and be really sneaky in the day light. :)

IMG_1102.jpg

^^^

I got to admit, thats been my second favorite picture on AH since I first saw it.

Sorry, but @Witold Krzyżanowski avatar picture still beats it out. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!