Nockturnal lighted nocks change point of impact?

razorsharptokill

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
South Africa
Anyone have problems with point of impact change when switching to these nocks? I'm using them in my fmj's and notice it. String fit is not as tight,

Anyone have problems with point of impact change when switching to these nocks? I'm using them in my fmj's and notice it. String fit is not as tight,

They can absolutely change your point of impact... I believe the Nocturnals weigh 22 grains. Standard nocks can weigh 5-12 grains on average. It doesn't sound like much but it changes the taw and the balance point of the arrow shaft to a small degree. Depending on your particular set-up, it can make a difference. You are right that they do not fit as tightly on the string as standard nocks, but I have not seen that affect the point of impact on my bows.

I have only personally experienced a very minimal drop of the point of impact due to the extra weight.... No difference affecting right or left impact. Still, I highly recommend that everyone shoot and practice with the exact same arrow you will be using for hunting to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

They can absolutely change your point of impact... I believe the Nocturnals weigh 22 grains. Standard nocks can weigh 5-12 grains on average. It doesn't sound like much but it changes the taw and the balance point of the arrow shaft to a small degree. Depending on your particular set-up, it can make a difference. You are right that they do not fit as tightly on the string as standard nocks, but I have not seen that affect the point of impact on my bows.

I have only personally experienced a very minimal drop of the point of impact due to the extra weight.... No difference affecting right or left impact. Still, I highly recommend that everyone shoot and practice with the exact same arrow you will be using for hunting to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

That is what I am doing. I am test firing each arrow/broadhead combo I am taking. I changed the nocks out on three to the nocturnals and had it fly 4" right at 50 yards. I have shot both my recurve and compound a LOT over the last few months getting ready for my trip in August. If I change anything I re-test to confirm everything is still good. This is exactly why.

I will continue to shoot with the new nock and see what the results are.

They didnt change my point of impact at all.

A friend, who is a competitive shooter, tried them out and he claims they didn't change anything on his set up out to 80 yards.

Didn't change anything 1 bit. At 450-500 grains, the extra 12 grains ain't gonna do much.

IMG_2187.jpg

IMG_1778.JPG

IMG_2190.JPG

I found no overly outrageous difference when I switched to Luminoks . I suspect the new nocks have just magnified an issue with the bow , be it a tuning or spine issue ..... best to realize it now . Lets have the stats on your bow and see if we can figure it out .... lots of knowledgeable people here to help .
Glen

It could very well be me trying to watch the arrow instead of having good follow through. That has very severe affect on trad bow shooting. Follow through is everything.

Most definitely. Nocturnals weigh around 20 grains which is generally around a 10 grain increase of not only just arrow weight but tail weight as well. This will also decrease your FOC(about 2% for my setup). Every time I add the nocturnal I generally have to dial in(move pin down a couple to a few clicks) to compensate for the increase in arrow weight.

I'm no pro but I hope this helps

I took some pure copper wire, cut it down to the right grain weight and then glued them into regular nocks so that I could shoot the exact same arrow weight without having to always turn off my nockturnals or distracting other shooters.

If the weight is the same, you should have no change in where you hit unless something is out of tune with your bow. Even the small change in FOC will not change your POI.

I have used two or three different lighted knocks. I didn't notice any measurable difference within my typical accuracy at the typical 20-30 yard ranges. I agree that it adds 10+ grains to the back of the arrow so FOC changes, but my near 500 grain arrow combo didn't seem to notice. I would say never hurts to sight in with your final hunting arrow combo. Too many just sight in with field points and assume broadheads will fly the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!