AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.animalartistry.com
Media
Articles
2 Bears.jpg

One of the things we fight constantly when clients are designing or creating a trophy room is windows. There is an understandable desire to want to look out and see nature while being in your trophy room or utilize natural light; however, windows are a BIG problem.

Ultraviolet Rays

The first and probably most significant problem is any window (even north facing or tinted) lets in ultraviolet rays. Ultraviolet rays bleach and burn mounted animal trophies without exception. It happens gradually, so you do not see it, but it eventually shows itself: the hunter moves his or her animals and sees the damage the sun has done. The sad part is there is no remedy to this — the damage cannot be undone.

Taxidermy Positioned Near Windows

The animal trophy below was positioned near a widow for over 15 years. As you can clearly see, the damage to the animal fur from the sun is more than evident.

1600440596897.jpeg

Taxidermy Positioned Near Artificial Light

The animal trophy below was mounted and positioned away from windows and under artificial light for over 25 years. Unlike the above photos, in the photos below, you can clearly see how the animal fur has maintained its color throughout the years.

20200908_122340.jpg

Designing a Trophy Room

What we try to teach our clients is your trophy room should be an enclosed space with artificial light that can be controlled. There can and should be a place within the room where you can step outside onto a deck or a veranda and enjoy nature, but the room itself needs to be protected from ultraviolet light. I cannot emphasize this enough: windows cause irreparable damage!

Latest profile posts

Just came from a hunt and already longing for the bush
JPmbogo wrote on yhc's profile.
I have factory loaded Hornady 450 NE 3 1/4 DGS that I am selling for not much more than the brass itself at $75/box - see my listing for same.
Justbryan wrote on Rafter JK's profile.
Get Crazy Larry yet? Wishing I had shot Alpine Ibex too!
laurence burkin wrote on UKHunter's profile.
Hi the dude in the picture. It would be cool to know the area (genetics) of the stag you have in your profile picture. I am from New Zealand and shot a stag here that is almost identical, especially the throw backs. I can send you a photo to prove I'm genuine with my enquiry.