Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zambia

INSIDE HUNTING Jun 7, 2021

Transit of Firearms Blocked from South Africa to Mozambique​

Hunter-rifle-1024x683.jpg

International hunters on their way to Mozambique should be aware that South Africa will not issue a transit permit for their firearms. The South African Police Service (SAPS) is refusing to issue the permits, and only hunters with a pre-approved permit issued before June 1 have been allowed to continue to Mozambique with their firearms. In an email, a captain in SAPS Arms Control, Permits and Authorizations explained only that applications are on hold due to the “situation” in Mozambique.
That situation, according to other sources, refers to an ongoing issue with extremist rebels in northern Mozambique, which may be more of a catalyst than the exact reason why South Africa is not issuing transit permits. Mozambique and South Africa have been at odds over a proposal by the Southern African Development Community (SADC) to deploy into Mozambique 2,500 to 3,000 troops from the SADC Standby Force. The force is part of a regional defense pact among the 16 countries in southern Africa and was created to allow military intervention to prevent conflicts from spreading. For months now, an Islamic militant group has fought to control the Mozambican port town of Palma in Cabo Delgado, where they caused the suspension of a new $20 billion liquified natural gas project and have displaced approximately 50,000 people. Mozambique’s president has declined allowing troops from other SADC members to enter the country. Yet South Africa has strongly supported the move during the most recent SADC summits.
Because OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg is a hub for many international flights to southern Africa, most hunters traveling to Mozambique transit through South Africa. South Africa requires that all firearms transiting the country be issued a transit permit. Despite South Africa’s de facto embargo on firearms to Mozambique, officials at Mozambique’s National Administration for Conservation Areas (which overseas hunting there) say they are unaware of any prohibition of firearms from South Africa and that the Mozambique Ministry of Interior is issuing import permits as usual.
Whether the embargo on firearms originates from South Africa or in Mozambique is unclear at this time, but sources say it will remain in place at least through the end of June. Hunters arriving in South Africa without a pre-issued transit permit will be forced to leave their firearms in Johannesburg. Other possible routes to Mozambique, include flights with Ethiopian Airlines flying through Addis Ababa and Qatar Airlines flying through Doha. Both require prior approval to carry firearms. For more information, contact SCI’s Hunter Information Service at www.safariclub.org/contact Check SCI’s blog posts under Inside Hunting later this month for updates

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps stopping the radicalization of international hunters and the flow of bolt action rifles to the rebels. :E Doh:

Someone didn't get their monthly stipend.

In other news, the 450 Nitro has been banned from entering Mozambique....

If only I had a dollar for every radical Muslim terrorist with a rising bite, I’d have exactly the same amount in my wallet as I do right now!

Is it me or is the whole dam World going stupid?

MB
Mostly just the politicians and bureaucrats I think. The rest of the world just keeps reminding everyone that American politicians and bureaucrats don’t have a monopoly on that market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessica87G

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross