Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA, SCI
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
I heard that rejoinder from my friend and African hunting mentor before my first safari last year. I just figured he was full of Cape Buffalo dung. Well, turns out he was correct. I'm leaving tomorrow on my second trip in two years to hunt with Jakkalskuil Safaris near Petrusville, SA. On the list this time are blue wildebeest, caracal, impala, red hartebeest, Burchell's zebra, white or black springbok and a night springhare hunt. My trophies from last year have been finished and I will be able to check out how they look before shipping. I am going to keep a daily journal this time as some told me that it makes for good reading in the future. Will post some hunt and taxidermy pics.

Good luck on your hunt. looking forward to the report. btw barrel should be there saturday.

It will be one and done for me -- no funds for a second trip and the girlfriend would probably leave me. 5 days 4 hours till i am off on my first one.

not saying i won't want to go again probably won't happen though.

Good Hunting Luck on your "first" hunt. My wife said if I go again next year, she's going to leave me. God, I'm going to miss her. :LOL:

I am glad you are going to take notes as it will certainly help you with your hunt report. :)

Have a great hunt.

Good Hunting Luck on your "first" hunt. My wife said if I go again next year, she's going to leave me. God, I'm going to miss her. :LOL:

lol, i love hunting but i do love my D more i can say that. maybe i can do new zealand instead :p

Hog, I hope you know that no one goes just twice either.

Go get 'em HogPatrol! Good luck and take lots of pix!

I feel kinda bad for you guys. When I came home from my first safari my wife said "I think i want my own gun for next time."

I love that woman! :love:

We leave in 4 weeks!

Have a good time, I hope I get over to Africa as much as possible for the rest of my life.

I did my "one and only" hunt last year.
I am retired and on a small pension so there is not much money. I sold some firearms(that I would not miss) and cashed in a 401 to go.

HOWEVER---I am sure trying to come up with the money for another trip. Even if it means not bringing back animals for shoulder mounts and rugs this time.

I am taking donations for the" Doug Thomas Africa Hunt Fund" :)

Go get 'em HogPatrol! Good luck and take lots of pix!

I feel kinda bad for you guys. When I came home from my first safari my wife said "I think i want my own gun for next time."

I love that woman! :love:

We leave in 4 weeks!

I have mixed emotions about this... I'd love my wife to hunt, but I can't afford for her to take up the habit...

Have a good time, I hope I get over to Africa as much as possible for the rest of my life.
I'm with you enysse, I'm going until my health or money runs out. :)

Wish you the best, Hogpatrol !

Hog, I hope you know that no one goes just twice either.
Good to know. Since I will be going for the second time in a few weeks. Better warn my husband not to retire any time soon.:LOL: I will have to make a point of keeping a journal. In the midst of ensuring I have everything I need to go, it wasn't something I had really ever considered. But what a great idea to pass down to my sons.

I just got back yesterday from my "once in a lifetime" trip..... Yep.... I'll be back!!!!!

Yep our once in a lifetime hunt was last year. While standing in line for the flight home the ladies walked up and told us that you know the motorcycle trip to New Zealand in 2015 it is now in 2017 and we are going back to Africa in 2015 you boys are hunting Buff and we are hunting Sable and a couple other 's we didn't get. Yes me and my buddy are very lucky men. And you know if mama is happy life is good. Good luck and enjoy, if your lady decides to hunt let her as she will find ways of putting $$$ in the safari fund faster than you can believe.

Yes, it's an addiction. ;D We've been to RSA twice and there's another trip in the planning as I have to take my buff with a handgun. Then after that, we'll probably need to swing by Mozambique to check out the fishing and whatever they might have there.

Sure there are other places to hunt but I feel limited as I like to hunt with handguns so that eliminates Australia and New Zealand for two countries of potential.

I'll go back.... But I guess the "stopping" point is inevitably the checkbook. At some point the list of animals grows lower... And the price grows higher. I wasn't back a week and bought me a new 375 H&H... I'm already ready to go back!!!!

I went on my first African hunt in 2000 with three friends. Sadly one of them died later that year, and the other two have not been back.

I've gone back three times, and hopefully will go again, but as BWH posted, "At some point the list of animals grows lower... And the price grows higher."

I've been twice and am planning another trip for a buff with a handgun next. Then after that, yes, the price might go up with the reduced number of low priced critters, but there is always the list of challenging little critters to pursue, e.g., steenbok, duiker, etc.

Hog patrol you are sooooooo right! You do an African hunt one time and you can get hooked. I've been two times now with African Sky Safaris and will go again. I still want a Waterbuck, Eland, Nyala, Sable, another Zebra, a Hippo......and the list goes on. It's like I've become a kind asking Santa for a sack full of stuff. Can't go back in 15 but I'm planning on 16 for sure!
AZDave is correct....when mama is happy and helps you save the coins you can get back much faster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois