Boyd Brooks

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
OFAH, North American Hunt Club
Hunted
Canada, RSA
Following the Lee crimp die post and wondering if I might be missing something? I load 223, 30-06, 300 WM, 338WM, 308 & 358 Norma Mag, 416 Taylor and 450 Marlin and have never had any trouble with projectiles moving in the case. Could I gain anything by using them? Or is this one of those “ if it ain’t broken don’t fit it” kind of things?

It is a not broke and do not fix. I have one pistol cartridge BRAND of brass that the lee is needed but that is all. Plus I do not crimp any of my rifle cartridges

Some guys swear by crimp dies..

I have never used one for my 416 Taylor, 375 H&H, or 45-70, or 458 SOCOM.. and have yet to have a problem..

I get the reasoning behind a crimp on a heavy recoiling rifle.. but.. again, never a problem... so I see no reason to "fix" things..

Most of the bullets that I use do not have a crimp groove, so trying to crimp will only bulge the case and cause problems. The ones that do have a groove, if I want them crimped, I just use the crimp die that is part of the seating die. It is a process since first the bullets must be seated, then turn the seating rod back up a few turns, then the die screwed back into the press so that the neck just hits the crimp ring in the die and ever so slightly crimps the neck into the cannelure without belling of the neck.

So far, I’ve only loaded 400gr Barnes originals without a cannelure in my .416 Taylor. I’ve just used a mild taper crimp and the bullets haven’t moved under moderate recoil. I’ve also tapered crimped into the cannelure of Speer 350gr Mag Tip and Barnes 450gr TSX in my .458WM with no movement of the bullets under moderate recoil. These are practice loads with 70gr RL 15 in the Taylor and 70.5gr H335 in the WM for the 450gr. Haven’t had the time lately to work on other loads, but with heavier loads a heavier crimp may be necessary?

Following the Lee crimp die post and wondering if I might be missing something? I load 223, 30-06, 300 WM, 338WM, 308 & 358 Norma Mag, 416 Taylor and 450 Marlin and have never had any trouble with projectiles moving in the case. Could I gain anything by using them? Or is this one of those “ if it ain’t broken don’t fit it” kind of things?
@Boyd Brooks
If'n it ain't broke don't fix it. I use a LFC die on my 303 as it gives a more consistent start pressure and a mate uses it for his lever action loads. Not 100% nessecerry but can improved accuracy. Tried it on my wildcat 25 and no discernible difference between crimped and uncrimped.

Bob

Interesting , I’ve used them on big bores .375 & .458, I guess I thought it was necessary or maybe good insurance to prevent a hassle in the field.

If one is concerned about a bullet coming loose, buy an inertia bullet puller or an RCBS collet puller, take a dummy round and see how much force it takes to move the bullet. Unless using a bushing die and seating with light neck tension, a standard reloading die should provide enough to prevent the bullet from moving under recoil.

223s in my AR and Mini-14 I always crimp. I don’t in my CZ bolt gun.
DG cartridges I always crimp just as an extra precaution.
I have had a failure in the field with a 300 WM using a Lee collet die. I threw it away after that. The mandrel was too large. Nothing like needing a second shot only to find the bullet half way out of the case. I could have sent it back to Lee. For $5 they will turn it down to your secs, but I decided it was a waist of time. Besides I might have had to send it back multiple times trying to find the “right” interference fit. JME

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.