No. 4 Mk 1 Project Ideas

Wyatt Smith

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
I recently bought a Lee Enfield No. 4 that has been sporterized. It has black synthetic stocks and the barrel has been shortened and a sporter front sight installed. The problem is, the headspace is out. The brass is stretching to point of case head separation. Also, the muzzle has a flat crown, which I don’t like.
So, I’ve thought about just fixing the headspace, either getting a new bolt head or setting the barrel back, and the crowning the muzzle. But the other part of me says to re-barrel it to somthing bigger. I have read of guys doing a .444 marlin, which makes me think about a 375 JDJ, which is the marlin necked down.
I’m open to any suggestions.

I recently bought a Lee Enfield No. 4 that has been sporterized. It has black synthetic stocks and the barrel has been shortened and a sporter front sight installed. The problem is, the headspace is out. The brass is stretching to point of case head separation. Also, the muzzle has a flat crown, which I don’t like.
So, I’ve thought about just fixing the headspace, either getting a new bolt head or setting the barrel back, and the crowning the muzzle. But the other part of me says to re-barrel it to somthing bigger. I have read of guys doing a .444 marlin, which makes me think about a 375 JDJ, which is the marlin necked down.
I’m open to any suggestions.
@Wyatt Smith
Young Mr Smith the No4 is very easy to fix the headspace problem. The bolt heads are numbered 0 to 4witheach one giving about 3 thou increase each. Check the number bolt head you have and if it is less than a 4 i have spare bolt heads I can send you FREE.
I converted a No4 SMLE to 444 marlin and it was an awesome weapon as it can be loaded better than the marlin, you don't have to trim cases to load the 265 grain flex tips.
Another good conversion would be the 405 Winchester.
There is a little bit of a mod to get it to feed and eject but this can be done by anyone that can use a grinder,file and drill.
Bob
My No4 SMLE 444 marlin
20191105_120003.jpg
20200831_124825.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
if the 405 win will fit, do not go for the std twist.
a 1:12 or 1:13 will handle bullets up to 1.5" long,
you are now talking bullets up to 440ish gns.
that said it will still handle 300 gn bullets equally well.
the sort of velocities you will get, cast alloy bullets with gas checks will work.
you just need to get the alloy right.
at these speeds alloy bullets are at no disadvantage to jacketed.
the 2 things i dislike about the lee enfield are.
absolutaly foul triggers and not much you can do about it and.
case stretching due to the spring in the rear locking bolt.
in the old days you would put up with the trigger, because factories sold reloaded military cases so cheaply you would eject the cases and leave them on the ground.
not the case today.
444 marlin and 405 win cases are not exactly easy to get, so you want them to last.
bruce.

I’ve also considered a 25-303. I understand it was very popular in Australia back in the day. I’ll probably clean the barrel good and look through it and see how bad it is then decide. I do like the old 303.

I'm not a gunsmith but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

I remember hearing that there were issues with the heat treatment of the SMLE rifles.
Not sure if it was related to the bolt, action or the barrel.
Also, you may want to check out the metallurgy for your action/bolt.
This will affect how well the metal is able to maintain the heat treatment.

I'm not saying they aren't capable rifles or actions.
But there are a lot of them out there with several thousands rounds through them.
Just want you to be safe before you touch off a shot.

I’ve also considered a 25-303. I understand it was very popular in Australia back in the day. I’ll probably clean the barrel good and look through it and see how bad it is then decide. I do like the old 303.
@Wyatt Smith
Bruce is correct about the triggers being crap but fear not young man. John Huber at Huber concept triggers does a beautiful replacement..
I Have had a bucket load of experience with SMLE. P M me for any issues you have . I currently run a 25/303 Epps on a No4 SMLE and safely get 3,200++ fps with 100grain projectiles and up to 19 reloads per case.
Bob
My son's No4 SMLE 25/303 Epps.
20200615_091546.jpg

G'day Bruce. Nice rifle. I've got a couple No4s that, back in the day were converted to 7.62 NATO, for Full Bore rifle (have the correct test mark). Definitely a lot of case stretch with the 7.62 case. Didn't know it would have been an issue with straight wall cases like the .444 Marlin or 405 Win. As you say, those cases are hard to get and expensive.

I'm not a gunsmith but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

I remember hearing that there were issues with the heat treatment of the SMLE rifles.
Not sure if it was related to the bolt, action or the barrel.
Also, you may want to check out the metallurgy for your action/bolt.
This will affect how well the metal is able to maintain the heat treatment.

I'm not saying they aren't capable rifles or actions.
But there are a lot of them out there with several thousands rounds through them.
Just want you to be safe before you touch off a shot.
@BeeMaa
The SMLE has never had an issue with heat treatments of the bolt barrel or action. The early Springfield did tho.
To play it safe it is advisable to get ALL old rifles checked out before use by a qualified gunsmith.
The No4 SMLE was converted to the 7.62x51 for sniper use and civilian use and never had an issue. The military round runs higher pressure than the 308 so they are not exactly a weak action.
Bob.

@BeeMaa
The SMLE has never had an issue with heat treatments of the bolt barrel or action. The early Springfield did tho.
To play it safe it is advisable to get ALL old rifles checked out before use by a qualified gunsmith.
The No4 SMLE was converted to the 7.62x51 for sniper use and civilian use and never had an issue. The military round runs higher pressure than the 308 so they are not exactly a weak action.
Bob.
Thanks for setting me (and the record) straight.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen The Smellie Whisperer? :A Stirring:
@ZG47
My Dad was an armourer in the RAAF for over 20 years and did a lot of work on the SMLE then the L1A1 SLR as well as many other service weapons.
He used to trick up SMLEs for interservice shoot. My first rifle was an SMLE No1Mk111 that we tricked up together. So yes I did learn a thing or 3 about them before he died in 2001.
Bob

G'day Bruce. Nice rifle. I've got a couple No4s that, back in the day were converted to 7.62 NATO, for Full Bore rifle (have the correct test mark). Definitely a lot of case stretch with the 7.62 case. Didn't know it would have been an issue with straight wall cases like the .444 Marlin or 405 Win. As you say, those cases are hard to get and expensive.
@Hunter4752001
Mate never had a problem in OZ getting 444 brass. At 86 dollars for 20 rounds here I never bought a factory round always reloaded. A friend of mine doesn't seem to have to many problems getting the 405 hulls. Should be easier where mister Smith is tho.
Bob

I likewise have a sporterized No. 4 Mk 1. I've had a couple ideas of things to do with it. The simplest is to keep it as-is but add a scope mount to it and just leave it there as a .303 rifle.

But I've wanted an L42A1 sniper rifle for a looong time now and I've thought about using mine as the basis for a replica (which would involve a conversion to 7.62 NATO) or making a .303 version just to avoid having to source a magazine and deal with the conversion.

I've also given thought to upping the calibre but I'm not really sure I want to do that anymore.

I likewise have a sporterized No. 4 Mk 1. I've had a couple ideas of things to do with it. The simplest is to keep it as-is but add a scope mount to it and just leave it there as a .303 rifle.

But I've wanted an L42A1 sniper rifle for a looong time now and I've thought about using mine as the basis for a replica (which would involve a conversion to 7.62 NATO) or making a .303 version just to avoid having to source a magazine and deal with the conversion.

I've also given thought to upping the calibre but I'm not really sure I want to do that anymore.
@WebleyGreene455
Mags and the appropriate bolt heads are readily available for your conversion Mr Green. In Australia all such conversions for range use had to be reproofed at Lithgow small arms factory and certified as reproofed.. Undoubtedly lots were done without this and suffered no harm. Sterling in England used to provide the parts needed for the conversion to 308. It should be noted that the chamber dimensions of the 7.62x51 and the 308 different slightly and in some instances it is not advised to interchange military ammo in sporting rifles. I think it has something to do with the leade angle and throat length but I may be wrong
Bob.

I'd be careful about converting a 303 No4 to 308 or any other higher pressure round. When I was young, a mate of mine's father was involved with the factory doing the 7.62 conversions and testing. Part of the testing was a series of proof loads followed by specialized crack testing. A high proportion of actions failed.

@WebleyGreene455
Mags and the appropriate bolt heads are readily available for your conversion Mr Green. In Australia all such conversions for range use had to be reproofed at Lithgow small arms factory and certified as reproofed.. Undoubtedly lots were done without this and suffered no harm. Sterling in England used to provide the parts needed for the conversion to 308. It should be noted that the chamber dimensions of the 7.62x51 and the 308 different slightly and in some instances it is not advised to interchange military ammo in sporting rifles. I think it has something to do with the leade angle and throat length but I may be wrong
Bob.
Hi Bob. Yes, I've heard about the 7.62/.308 issue. Something about headspace, case thickness, several different things that can make interchanging ammo difficult. But at the same time, I kinda wonder how much of a problem it really is? I mean, people with G3s, FALs, M14s, boltguns of all kinds, converted M1s, have more than likely fed one or through a rifle supposedly chambered for the other. Not saying you should just swap ammo willy-nilly but I do question how much of a problem it could really be. Perhaps it's something to look into with more attention.

As for my rifle, yeah I'd prefer it to not blow up in my face so if I reeeally wanted to turn it into an L42A1, I'd need to have it tested. Which is why just doing a L42-esque rebuild but keeping the .303 round would at least look cool compared to the other .303s out there and would be OK for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg