NIKON Monarch African Scope 1-4x20...

DOC-404

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hey Guys,
Any opinions on this NIKON Monarch African scope 1-4x20...? Might put one on my .375.

I have no experience with the scope only the glass of my binoculars and they are great.
I would however be a bit wary on a 375 with the recoil might be better to look at leopold and better quality glass.

The only reason why I say this is that I have not seen or heard what the scopes are doing in performance.

Not a bad scope, for $280 dollars, has 4 inches of eye relief, I like the German reticle.

Still like the Leupold more, yes it $399 dollars, but has 5+ inches of eye relief and to me a little clear picture. And I'm talking about a 1.5-5 VX-3 with a 20mm objective diameter.

Nikon 1-4

Doc, I do not think you can go wrong with the Nikon Monarch African 1-4x20 with a 1 inch tube on your .375. This scope is built to with stand recoil on big caliber rifles.Quick focus eyepiece, 1/2 in. MOAclick adjustments,German #4 reticle, you get a lot of scope for a great price.
If you did want to make a step up you can go with the Nikon Monarch African 1.1-4x2 with a 30 mm tube.
I have one on my .375 H&H. While I have only put about 30 rounds down range it has functioned flawlessly and it will accompany me next year on a hunt to Australia.
Feel free to contact me with any questions regarding Nikon Sport Optics.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

Monarch African - Riflescopes | Nikon Hunting

I too have one of these scopes. Put it on my CZ 404 Jeff for an article in Gun World magazine last year. I like it a lot and it has given me no trouble at all. It does everything it is supposed to do at a very reasonable price.

ses, I would love to get a link to your article?
Thanks,

Not sure where to link it from unfortunately. It was published in Sept 2010 so you may be able to get a back issue from them. I tried to google it but the only reference I could find to it was from the CZ website that just lists it as an article on one of their products but no link.

Thanks, Scott

I too have one of these scopes. Put it on my CZ 404 Jeff for an article in Gun World magazine last year. I like it a lot and it has given me no trouble at all. It does everything it is supposed to do at a very reasonable price.
sestoppelman, what rings are you using to make sure this won't move?

Initially I used factory rings, then to gain quick access to the sights I swapped them for some Warne QD lever rings and they seem to be doing just fine. Remember this is a heavy rifle so recoil is not that fierce. Its over 11 pounds scoped.

I must be one of the few people with negative views on this scope. You really must try before buying, as for me the edge distortion at low magnification is really not acceptable. The optics are clear enough, and I have no doubts it will hold up to recoil, but the edge distortion is so severe as to really disturb me. Its like looking through a weird fisheye lens at the edges - nausea inducing. Its clearly not such a big deal to others from all the positive reviews, but I think you must try it to know if you'll be able to live with it. I have not seen this effect on other low mag scopes, so think it is specific to this Nikon.

I use exclusively Nikon and S+B copes, and would say that the Nikon optics are generally are not far short of the S+B, but absolutely not with this scope.

I know the effect you speak of but dont have it in this scope. A recent Bushnell I had was terrrible this way. Got rid of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross