UNT2007

AH senior member
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, NRA
Hunted
USA
I purchased a Nikon 3-9x40 BDC scope at cabelas for my CZ 550 magnum .375 h&h.
Is this a good scope for my rifle or should I have purchased a dangerous game scope like the Leupold VX3?

I've read of many who have used a 3x minimum variable for DG. I don't think I would, but I think your choice is great for PG usage. Keep your scope for that, and then buy the Nikon 1-4 for DG. I've got Nikons on my .375 and .458, they hold up.

I've read of many who have used a 3x minimum variable for DG. I don't think I would, but I think your choice is great for PG usage. Keep your scope for that, and then buy the Nikon 1-4 for DG. I've got Nikons on my .375 and .458, they hold up.
Thanks Phil, I heard Nikon made a scope called the African monarch, but when I looked for it I found out it is discontinued and no longer available.

UNT2007, I have a 1-6 for DG and a 2-12 for PG. both on quick detach mounts. They both go to Africa for what ever I plan to hunt and one works as a backup for the other in case I break one.
Either one is probably plenty good for anything. I just need the comfort of knowing I have a back up after spending a lot for a hunt.
Do you feel comfortable at 20 yards with 3x finding “the right spot” in a black mass charging you? If so, you’re fine.

A 375H&H is a very versatile cartridge. the 3-9x scope is the optimum power range for large game in North America; which would qualify your setup as a one rifle for NA. As noted, I'd either go with iron sights or a lower power scope if I was hunting dangerous stuff at spitting distance.

I will probably get a DG scope later. Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 7.59.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 7.59.42 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 196
Thanks!!!

No prob. BTW, there's likely other dealers that have them too. That was just the first one I found in a Google search.

I'd be a strong proponent of the two scope approach. The 375 H&H is so versatile that no one scope can do it justice for any and all hunting situations. I have a number of 3-9 Nikons with the BDC feature. For those instances where you need to reach out to "touch" something they are wonderful. Range it and shoot, game over. Nikon's African Monarch with a German #4 Reticle is the perfect compliment to the scope you've already purchased.

You'll be fine with the 3-9 Nikon for general use. I have a 1.25-7 VX2 that fits my .375 well, but you can worry about getting DG-ready at a later time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg