AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
What is the best moon for hunting bush pig, honey badger, civet and those night critters. Do you want the dark of the moon or full moon?

Depends on the method of hunting. Spot lighting or bait will make a difference.

Hunting over bait.

Unless you have night vision, that moon is your friend. Even with

Spotlighting, not so much. The critters can see you, unless you are very well camouflaged. Jackal hunters bible.

My outfitter hunts over bait under red lights

I assume most baiting will be done with rheostat and red light, was wondering if animals came earlier or were more active on a certain moon?

I think that will depend on how hard they have been hunted in that area.

I have not noted the moon on my hunts for some of these beasts. The larger factor was the baiting and pressure. Never hunted before and patterned by the PH.
My Bushpig came in like he was on a wire. The PH knew the time and predicted it. There was a small moon but it was overcast.

Little spotted beasts came in when the Leopards were not around.

Honey Badger in the daylight.

Reactions: lcq
I like hunting them with dark moon. That is how I scheduled my hunt this year. Hunting pressure is HUGE!!! Trail cameras are a must! I agree also, red or green light are excellent too. I had one outfitter use a solar light and actually that worked surprisingly awesome....it wasn't super bright but good enough to see stuff and shoot with ease.

I will find out in June!

Hi Jeff,
On Bushpigs, my observation has been that it depends on how accustomed the pigs are to the bait site. If it is a new site, the moon has an effect on the time they come in.
Your blind and equipment has to be right, otherwise you are just wasting your own time.

Thanks for the replies!

No constructive advice but I do love what you're attempting to do! I look forward to the report of your unconventional hunt!

I assume most baiting will be done with rheostat and red light, was wondering if animals came earlier or were more active on a certain moon?

A rheostat will drain a battery in nothing flat. Those fancy spotlight battery controllers with the dial, actually contain an electronic switch that is continuously switching on and off, very fast, to provide a rheostat-style function without excessive power drain.

Best of luck with your hunt. NB Remember not to look up at the moon. It will kill your night vision for a while.

@jeff are you thinking doing it with the bow? Another challenge i remember we had was you finding the rear sight on your string in the dark? Have you managed to find a solution for this?

I was really just wanting PHs opinions on moon timing, and yes I would like to do some night hunting. I was told by a guy who hunted leopard that he had a peep that was lighted but I haven't even looked yet as it's so far down the road. That night we had the honey badgers come in was a highlight of the trip!!

What does your PH say? I would think his opinion matters most, second guessing him is probably going to irritate him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg