Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa
Thank You Mr. Heintzman- They do come a lot bigger but this wasn't a bad one and it was taken by a friend with archery equiptment this past fall.
A good friend of mine called and said his luck had run out and did I have any good ideas where a fellow with only two days left to hunt might be able to fill a hard to get tag. I offered as how I knew a little spring where bulls often stopped to get muddy as they cruised for cows. The next night just after dark I got the text that he had shot one but wanted to wait till morning to track it.
Now a guy just doesn't give up a good elk spot to anyone but this man has been a good friend to our family. He is the soccer (futbol) coach to my teenage daughter and has been since she started playing at age 8. So he has sacrificed untold hours teaching, coaching, mentoring my daughter who has grown into a better than average young lady and athlete. As I type we are away from home at a soccer tournament near Las Vegas and my girl's team will play for first place tomorrow. But I digress. . . So he and I have cheered together, heatedly argued maybe once or twice and shared in each others wins and losses, soccer and hunting. We also work in a similar field, him a flight nurse on a heli and myself a paramedic. So I know this guy pretty well and have in a round about way shared alot with him through some short years, which are a lifetime if you have kids in soccer or teenage daughters!
So the next morning I gathered gear and went up to help him. He is about 10 years my senior but an experienced hunter. He suffered through my Africa hunting stories while we spoored the bull, I had been home from my first trip almost three weeks and I was badly wanting some game4africa Jack Russel trackers and maybe Mike and Sandalay for help as well! We found the bull three hours after we picked up the first blood. For some this is when the work starts, for me this is when the fun starts! But I was missing work to be there and had to get back, so after we packed our first load back to the truck, I left and my cousin took my spot. Because I owe this man a lot, he had earned my respect and its awful tough to repay a mans time. So I had asked the best meat packer I know to assist us and when he got off work he came to lend a hand. Don't know what kind of boots he wore but they supported a good heart and a strong back!

STC_1588.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Great story, congrats to both of you !

Stories of genuine gratitude are a pleasure to read. Congratulations to your friend.

Look at the bright side. You repaid a debt of gratitude, but more importantly found a new hunting buddy. You my friend are clearly the winner.

Great story and Firebird, your a good man for helping!

Nice job! I’ve always loved the feel of a heavy packboard whether it was mine or a buddy’s. I used to get shanghaied by my dads friends on my way to school so I could help pack bulls out. Steepest shale covered canyon always beat the hell out of English class!

Thank You Mr. Heintzman- They do come a lot bigger but this wasn't a bad one and it was taken by a friend with archery equiptment this past fall.
A good friend of mine called and said his luck had run out and did I have any good ideas where a fellow with only two days left to hunt might be able to fill a hard to get tag. I offered as how I knew a little spring where bulls often stopped to get muddy as they cruised for cows. The next night just after dark I got the text that he had shot one but wanted to wait till morning to track it.
Now a guy just doesn't give up a good elk spot to anyone but this man has been a good friend to our family. He is the soccer (futbol) coach to my teenage daughter and has been since she started playing at age 8. So he has sacrificed untold hours teaching, coaching, mentoring my daughter who has grown into a better than average young lady and athlete. As I type we are away from home at a soccer tournament near Las Vegas and my girl's team will play for first place tomorrow. But I digress. . . So he and I have cheered together, heatedly argued maybe once or twice and shared in each others wins and losses, soccer and hunting. We also work in a similar field, him a flight nurse on a heli and myself a paramedic. So I know this guy pretty well and have in a round about way shared alot with him through some short years, which are a lifetime if you have kids in soccer or teenage daughters!
So the next morning I gathered gear and went up to help him. He is about 10 years my senior but an experienced hunter. He suffered through my Africa hunting stories while we spoored the bull, I had been home from my first trip almost three weeks and I was badly wanting some game4africa Jack Russel trackers and maybe Mike and Sandalay for help as well! We found the bull three hours after we picked up the first blood. For some this is when the work starts, for me this is when the fun starts! But I was missing work to be there and had to get back, so after we packed our first load back to the truck, I left and my cousin took my spot. Because I owe this man a lot, he had earned my respect and its awful tough to repay a mans time. So I had asked the best meat packer I know to assist us and when he got off work he came to lend a hand. Don't know what kind of boots he wore but they supported a good heart and a strong back!

View attachment 268781
Great story. Congrats.

Great story, and great beginning to a bigger friendship. Very nice bull! (y)(y)

That looks like a great bull to me. You were definitely a good friend. I am sure during the tracking job you were really wanting those Jack Russels. Congratulations to you and your friend.

Very nice bull indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeniseDapl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross