Newbie goes to Africa

Hi Jim,
Congrats on booking your first safari and on making a wise choice in going with Kowas. The Strauss family are fantastic hosts, the country is beautiful and the hunting fantastic. I too went there for my first safari in 2016. On an 8 day hunt I took Kudu, Oryx, Warthog, Impala, Red Hartebeest, Steenbok and two Springbok. My mate took a similar number also, all fantastic mature trophies. I hunted with Jacques mostly but with Matheus as well, and both are tremendous hunters.

It was a very memorable hunt for my wife and I, and I look forward to returning one day, when our Aussie dollar is again a little stronger against the greenback!

My advice - Practice shooting over the sticks a lot, out to 250y. I used a .30/06-180gn Woodleigh combination which proved perfect, I only used 9 shots. Take lots of photos of all aspects of the hunt. Have a day spare on the end to visit Joe's Beerhouse, the craft markets, and to look around Windhoek centre. It's a beautiful place.

Avoid Trophaendienste Taxidermy like the plague. They destroyed all of our capes with their non-existent quality control, which is the only lingering sour taste of this whole experience. From later experience, I'd highly recommend Ingwe Taxidermy.

Take the time to soak up as much as you can as it will be over all too quickly and you'll be planning the return!

All the best
Tim

Hi Jim,
Congrats on booking your first safari and on making a wise choice in going with Kowas. The Strauss family are fantastic hosts, the country is beautiful and the hunting fantastic. I too went there for my first safari in 2016. On an 8 day hunt I took Kudu, Oryx, Warthog, Impala, Red Hartebeest, Steenbok and two Springbok. My mate took a similar number also, all fantastic mature trophies. I hunted with Jacques mostly but with Matheus as well, and both are tremendous hunters.

It was a very memorable hunt for my wife and I, and I look forward to returning one day, when our Aussie dollar is again a little stronger against the greenback!

My advice - Practice shooting over the sticks a lot, out to 250y. I used a .30/06-180gn Woodleigh combination which proved perfect, I only used 9 shots. Take lots of photos of all aspects of the hunt. Have a day spare on the end to visit Joe's Beerhouse, the craft markets, and to look around Windhoek centre. It's a beautiful place.

Avoid Trophaendienste Taxidermy like the plague. They destroyed all of our capes with their non-existent quality control, which is the only lingering sour taste of this whole experience. From later experience, I'd highly recommend Ingwe Taxidermy.

Take the time to soak up as much as you can as it will be over all too quickly and you'll be planning the return!

All the best
Tim

I hunted with Inqwe safari last year and it was an incredible experience!! you cant go wrong with them

Sons rifle arrived last week

He is left handed so he received a left handed cooper model 54 in 257 Roberts for the trip. Here also is picture of him helping at the reloading bench. Priming brass for his gun

View attachment 313139 View attachment 312869
JimK
Nice choice of rifle glad to see him in the reloading room.
Load the Robert with 110grain accubonds, Barnes or any good quality bullet a n d have fun.
Be prepared not to shoot much for yourself you will be to interested in your son to care. Make sure he gets plenty of practice shooting of sticks even with a 22 and reactive targets at various distances.
If you get the chance get him involved in the local school or culture, he'll learn more about the it than he ever will in school at home
received_477369283213994.jpeg

My 15year old son with his PH Jacobus Wasserfall and trackers France and Andreus. He shot everything with a 308 Howa .
Go take your family and make some memories.
Cheers mate
Bob Nelson

Hi Jim,

All the best
Tim
Blacks
Joe's beer house is AWESOME great food the place is like a resturaunt in a museum.
Cheers mate Bob

Thank for all the helpful tips so far. Keep them coming. I plan to have my son run 500 rounds through his rifle this coming summer before we leave

Kowas told us they use the Africa sporting creations sticks so we will get a set to practice with.

As to why we booked so far ahead. I have school schedules to work around and Kowas was fully booked for 2019 and some of 2020 when we booked in late summer of 2018. Seems they run a first class operation and have lots of return clients.

As far as the 404 goes it is staying at home for the first trip. I am playing with it Occasionally and it is fun to shoot. I will get serious about loads with it after my son is comfortable with his gun.

My custom 700 in 338-06 is the rifle I will take with for myself for this first trip
Jim K
The best advice I can give you is
IF YOU ARE TAKING YOUR SON TO NAMIBIA TAKE A CERTIFIED COPY OF YOUR SONS BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND IF NOT TRAVELING WITH YOUR WIFE A LETTER FROM HER AND A COPY OF HER PASSPORT SAYING HE IS ALLOWED TO TRAVEL WITH YOU.
this will avoid hassle getting into and out of Namibia. Namibia has dim views on child trafficking.
Even tho our son travelled with my wife and myself we had trouble getting him into and out of Namibia.
Despite this we had a great time. We hunted with Osombahe Nord safaris great outfit. From everything I've read about khowas they are also a top class outfit.
Ingwe are the best for taxidermy and skin prep in Namibia. Christiaan is a really great bloke and more than willing to show you his operation. We are using them and our taxidermist/ guide in Australia said they are the only ones he trusts.
Have a great hunt mate I know your son will.
Cheers mate
From another proud father
Bob Nelson.

Congrats on booking your first trip and having your son be so involved. I also have two boys and would love for them to be interested once old enough...

I just came across this post and will be watching and following your experience. I also just got the bug and am looking to book my first trip. Eager to see how yours goes.

All the best, good travels!!!

I just sent a deposit for June of 2021, so I'll be following this thread for sure!

mcaustin
Who did you book with mate
Cheers Bob

I booked with Kowas as well. I'm currently researching taxidermists and am probably leaning toward Ingwe. This will be our first trip to Africa and I'm really looking forward to it!

I booked with Kowas as well. I'm currently researching taxidermists and am probably leaning toward Ingwe. This will be our first trip to Africa and I'm really looking forward to it!
mcaustin
You can't go far wrong with Ingwe. Christiaan and his wife run a,first class outfit. They're taking care of all our stuff for Australia. Christiaan will gladly show you around his operation .
Enjoy your hunt mate.
Cheers Bob.

Have fun!

I have no wisdom on where you're going but a general idea. I would suggest some kind of simple video camera like a GoPro or a nice digital camera with some zoom. You might get some nice memories on film of your boy hunting. And if you bring extra batteries (lots of them) you could turn the boy loose and have him "document" the trip for mom. It might be entertaining to get a 10 year old perspective.

Kids don't always drink as much as they should in hot weather. Some Gatorade type mix might help him stay hydrated.

I had my taxidermy done in the US, but but saw a lot of work by King’s Taxidermy. They do a good job.

I'm excited for you and your sons hunt, can only be epic.

As a lefty caliber nut I'm looking forward to hearing your sons development with the .257 Roberts and what loads/bullets you will hunt with.
I would think a 120gr A-Frame would be the best option, .257 Roberts is not seen all that often down here but it looks like it should handle the Impala/Blesbuck class with style.

Enjoy your safari with your son sir and start planning your second safari as the bug will bite you...! ;-)

You can submit your namibia rifle import permit online and get it approved and returned before you leave. Says time at Windhoek airport .

NOW WHAT

Departure date is August 8

So I am really struggling here with the decision to go or stay home. This covid 19 is really screwing things up. Tickets are bought and paid for. I am waiting for now to see how things go before canceling. Could get most of my money back on airfare if I wish

I am not really scared of the virus for myself. But have several concerns. First my son has asthma and I have inhalers to treat it. We don’t need to give it often anymore (once every couple months ). But what if it flairs up over there and the virus is a respiratory type illness

Second what to do if we can travel but this thing isn’t stamped out in places like Namibia or even at home in the USA. Not even sure we can get a test before we go so we can say we are all clear. I have told my son we won’t go if there is a chance we can’t get home or have to quarantine for two weeks after getting home.

Lastly we own our own business and this shutdown is going to hurt. We are still booked out about 2 months with work but after that I expect a slow rest of the summer.

Jim K, all very valid concerns IMO! I’m booked along with my 13 yo granddaughter for July 10-Aug 11. 10 days in Namibia and 10 days in RSA. I’m trying to watch what is happening here as well as Africa. Not looking promising IMO.
My plan- in late May or early June I am going to review all the info I can find out including the CDC and WHO. If things are still scary, I’ll be contacting both hunt PHes to discuss moving my hunts to 2021 same time if possible.

In my 70s, I don’t want to get sick there leaving a 13 yo granddaughter to take care of herself. Best of luck in your decision!

I have a trip set for June 11th. I too was struggling with whether we will go or not. I have finally been able to accept that it likely will be pushed back a year. No decision has been made yet, but based on what I’m reading now, it seems like a very low chance we will go this year.
I would pick a date around 15-30 days prior to departure and decide then. You don’t have to make a decision today, so best plan is to focus on what you can do today. The economic circumstances we find ourselves in this summer might make the decision for you.
This virus has brought in so many unknowns into our lives that we have to simplify our days and our thoughts.
I have become more comfortable with the idea that my hunt might be (or is) a 2021 adventure. But I still did about 30 minutes of dry fire practice in the kitchen yesterday while my wife was baking.

To not get too sad about a possible postponement, consider planing more stateside hunting. @johnnyblues got me thinking about a Sonora hunt... we here on AH are the type of people that need an adventure to look forward to.

One spot still available with us.

jim k,

your sons rifle has VERY nice wood. probably too nice for a young man like him to truly appreciate, i suggest you sell that gun to me. :) i don't need a 257 roberts, but kinda like that one! a good hunting buddy, good job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg