AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
NZ
I managed to get a free weekend so conned a mate into going back to an area I hadn't been in to in years. Walking in to the hut on Friday night reminded me why I hadn't been back in 5 years! I am definitely not as fit as I use to be.
For some reason I didn't hear my alarm go in the morning so we were a bit late up. We eventually got around to the gully we were aiming for, and as planned a deer was moving across the manuka face. I quickly got the rifle ready and had to take the shot as she was walking slowly through the manuka. I hit her and she ran off. An hour and a half later we hadn't found her or any blood, just some hair. The rocky face didn't leave many footprints either. I was annoyed at myself for losing her.
Later that evening on another clearing I redeemed myself by dropping a red spiker, one shot and it was done.

43891414534_dda478eca0_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely done stug

Planning on getting back to nz next year myself. Keen to knock over a chamois and bring the meat home for something different.

Congratulations! Well done! Beautiful country you live in.

Thanks for sharing your hunt.
Some gorgeous countryside.

Dittos on the gorgeous countryside. What a place to hunt!!

Beautiful area, thanks for sharing !

Nice venison, Stu! What cartridge is the rifle chambered for?

Yep 7x65R shooting a 162 a-max at 2750fps. It took a while to decide on the calibre, initially I thought about a 6.5x55 or 7x57R but ended up with the 7x65R because of the extra velocity/energy. Really glad I went with it, even though it is not a cheap cartridge, NZ$250ish for 100 brass and similar for the dies.
I'll probably work up a 160 accubond load for closer animals in the bush.

Stug, if you don't mind sharing, what is your load for the 7 X 65R? I own one in a BRNO Super. It is a combination gun that I've had in the safe for several years but never reloaded for.

Stug, if you don't mind sharing, what is your load for the 7 X 65R? I own one in a BRNO Super. It is a combination gun that I've had in the safe for several years but never reloaded for.

57.5gr ADI2213sc which I think is identical to H4831, Norma case, Federal LR primer. I've got the seating depth info at home.
When I load up the 160 accubond I'll try 56gr 2213. From experince in a couple of 7mm mags it works best about 1.5-2 gr below the a-max load.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg