New Zealand has changed the rules regarding International hunters obtaining a firearms licence

It looks NZ does not need or want a hunters money, so I will g0 to a country that will welcome me with out undue regulations. argintina has very good stag hunting.

The biggest problem with our police these days, is ... that they have recruited serving police officers from Britain, who have brought the apparent power-grabbing, police-state-promoting, corrupt attitudes for which the modern British police forces have become infamous.

Our old Public Service was effectively destroyed by all the lazy Poms who came here after the war and weaselled their way into the NZ Public Service (not to be confused with the genuine hardworking immigrants who came here on the same ships). The same damage has been occurring to NZ Police for over a decade.

Just seen this news.

Smack bang in the middle of their peak hunting season New Zealand has changed the rules regarding international hunters obtaining a firearms licence.
Previously you could arrive at a New Zealand airport, fill out documentation and be issued this licence but now you must apply online allowing up to 30 days for it to be processed and issued!! You cannot get it processed at a New Zealand airport anymore.
I haven’t seen a single media release, forum post, press release to clubs, guides and outfitters or any social media content whatsoever informing international hunters of these rule changes. Well done guys, your government certainly puts hunting as a priority and I believe 28,000 international hunters visit your country each year.
If you are heading there soon fill those documents out, if you are a self guided hunter you will have to explain there is no New Zealand storage address or licence details of the person you will be storing firearms at and simply state you are going straight into the bush hunting. Or you find a registered dealer that will let you use their address.
There are three keen self guided aussie lads stuck in Queenstown right now with their rifles confiscated and the likelihood of them not going hunting as they weren’t aware of the very recent rule changes and I have mates hunting whitetail next week and the guide/outfitter didn’t even know anything about the changes. They are scrambling to get the firearms licences issued and it’s in the balance as to whether it will be.
Spread the word guys if you or mates are taking a firearm to New Zealand, make sure you get that paperwork filled out and licence approved long in advance.

http://www.police.govt.nz/advice/firearms-and-safety/visitors-firearms-licence-and-import-permits

Sounds like bureaucrats gone mad.

As far as the NZ police deciding if you get a license is you proving you are a capable hunter and had hunted in our home state or country. Having a NRA card, license from previous hunt in your state will suffice. I take both with me just for safety sake.
I will be leaving May 21st for NZ and my permit is approved and waiting.
The $25.00 fee is in NZ dollars so first thing when off the plane is to stop by exchange window.

I've got a Stag/Fallow deer hunting trip planned to NZ in ten months and am glad I saw this. However, I'm confused about something. If the custom bolt action rifle I was planning on taking is not on the approved firearms list does that mean I can't take it? Or, is it something that's considered on a application by application basis?

Also, how does one answer the question on firearms permit #'s since we aren't issued those in the U.S.? Would a Concealed Carry permit number be acceptable? Thank you.

I've got a Stag/Fallow deer hunting trip planned to NZ in ten months and am glad I saw this. However, I'm confused about something. If the custom bolt action rifle I was planning on taking is not on the approved firearms list does that mean I can't take it? Or, is it something that's considered on a application by application basis?

Also, how does one answer the question on firearms permit #'s since we aren't issued those in the U.S.? Would a Concealed Carry permit number be acceptable? Thank you.

Find the NZ Police website and go to the firearm page. If still confused, look up the number for NZ Police HQ, Molesworth Street, Thorndon, Wellington and ask for the inspector in charge of firearm licensing. Sorry, but I am not acquainted with the current appointee. N.B. New Zealand Standard Time is G.M.T. + 12.00 hours.

Happy to see that NZ politicians are on top of the situation. I mean, enough is enough. Can't have Yank deer hunters, armed with Rigby's, running amuck in Wellington anymore. There oughta be a law against shooting people, damn it!!....................FWB

Glad I saw this, haven't been to nz for a couple years but was thinking of heading back next year.

It's a shame but really it shouldn't add too much to it. My old man always said NZ is about 30 years behind australia in regards to society and political correctness which is part of what I love about it. Maybe they're catching up quicker now though.

Great people though, much better than your average Aussie. Nothing highlights that more than airports. When I have a gun in NZ airports customs and police are always keen to ask what I'm hunting. In Australia I'm treated like a criminal.

Once my brother got grilled by auatralian customs when we got home because his paper work said he went over with 40 rounds but only came back with 37 (including casings). Was real hard to explain losing brass in the field.

Never had that problem, JPbowhunter. Customs were really great with me, and an AFP sergeant was very interested in my experiences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg