New Zealand has changed the rules regarding International hunters obtaining a firearms licence

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Just seen this news.

Smack bang in the middle of their peak hunting season New Zealand has changed the rules regarding international hunters obtaining a firearms licence.
Previously you could arrive at a New Zealand airport, fill out documentation and be issued this licence but now you must apply online allowing up to 30 days for it to be processed and issued!! You cannot get it processed at a New Zealand airport anymore.
I haven’t seen a single media release, forum post, press release to clubs, guides and outfitters or any social media content whatsoever informing international hunters of these rule changes. Well done guys, your government certainly puts hunting as a priority and I believe 28,000 international hunters visit your country each year.
If you are heading there soon fill those documents out, if you are a self guided hunter you will have to explain there is no New Zealand storage address or licence details of the person you will be storing firearms at and simply state you are going straight into the bush hunting. Or you find a registered dealer that will let you use their address.
There are three keen self guided aussie lads stuck in Queenstown right now with their rifles confiscated and the likelihood of them not going hunting as they weren’t aware of the very recent rule changes and I have mates hunting whitetail next week and the guide/outfitter didn’t even know anything about the changes. They are scrambling to get the firearms licences issued and it’s in the balance as to whether it will be.
Spread the word guys if you or mates are taking a firearm to New Zealand, make sure you get that paperwork filled out and licence approved long in advance.

http://www.police.govt.nz/advice/firearms-and-safety/visitors-firearms-licence-and-import-permits

Most unfortunate news for h7nts traveling there soon! Thanks for sharing.

When you arrive in New Zealand
When you arrive in New Zealand you must declare all firearms to New Zealand Customs officials.

They will refer you to New Zealand Police, who will:

• check your passport
  • check your firearms licence issued by the country you live in
  • collect the $25.00 licence application fee
  • decide if you should receive a visitors firearms licence and import permit and issue them if necessary.
not sure i understand the last line .....if you have already applied on line and presumably been given a visitors permit....then why are the police going to decide if you should receive a visitors permit and issue it on arrival......

This sounds like a good business opportunity for an enterprising Lawyer to offer assistance with clearing your firearms with the various NZ governmental agencies much like what Rifle Permits does in RSA. The timing for rolling out these changes is incredible stupid. Announcing them now for implementation in 2019 or 2020 would have been more appropriate. With world wide terrorism being what it is, I can see why NZ doesn't want foreigners showing up at their airports with firearms.

A quick googlesearch shows this has been in force since at least last year.

Doesnt help the guys stuck down there, but they didnt do the necessary preparations and/or research..

• decide if you should receive a visitors firearms licence and import permit and issue them if necessary.
not sure i understand the last line .....if you have already applied on line and presumably been given a visitors permit....then why are the police going to decide if you should receive a visitors permit and issue it on arrival......

It says you will be informed of approval by email. I guess they are reserving the right to refuse your permit if you look shifty! :sneaky:

well put rigby and holland and holland into the gun make search and no results found.....so looks like you cant take your rigby or holland with you....but ruger mini 14 and mini 30 are on the list....

That’s hilarious

The New Zealand police are making life for legal firearms owners harder and harder here in New Zealand .
Firearms offences are very rare here in NZ and are carried out by the criminal faction who dont give a shit about laws and firearm legislation , obviously !
But like all burocrates these days our government is making it harder and harder for the law abiding citizen to own and store firearms .
All the shootings in the States are fuel in the fire for our police dept who keep refering to them as a tool to restrict all legal owners in NZ
I have not heard about the new regs on impoting firearms into our country but we have a new Government in power which is very green orientated .
So if you are coming here hunting and bringing a firearm try and keep up to date with customs and police regulations as I can see it getting sillier ,
and becoming a paper war like everywhere else in the western world !!!
Simple was easy but we cant have that now can we ?
Sound familiar !
One good thing is once you get passed all the dick heads who think they are the most important people in our country everyone else will bend over backwards to help .
Socome on down to little NZ and have a ball , you wont regret it !
Cheers Dory .

New Zealand is one of my favorite countries that I’ve hunted, the people couldn’t be more friendly. It’s seems hunters are becoming less welcome world wide. Look what’s happening in Europe places like Romania and Poland, where hunting opportunities and land to hunt is dwindling. Ok SCI where are you on so many issues facing hunters. What happened to Mr. Zinkie? He was one of us. What goes on once they hit Washington? I felt as though we had a friend in Trump. So far he’s abandoned sportsman. Sorry I know this went off track but I’m passionate about our heritage as hunters.

I blame social media. People who have obsessive beliefs are there everyday promoting their agenda.

I blame social media. People who have obsessive beliefs are there everyday promoting their agenda.
OH you are so right !!!!!!
Social media is killing the world !
Fucwitts with nothing better to do .
Sit on there computers and tick yes !!!!!
The worldss fuced !!!!!

Yep NZ Police HQ are trying to make it harder for people with firearms. They are trying all sorts of "regulations" that have no legislation behind them. NZ firearms licence holders are giving a lot of push back and have had some good wins. The one for international visitors seems to have snuck through without much fanfare though.

SOOooo right Stug !

Thanks for the notice; a frequent visitor, publisher, hunter, I know is heading out within a week or so; I';; check with him that he has his "house in order".

As they say, "there are two sides to every story." At first this sounded like a very precocious move on the part of the NZ Govt. when it fact it has been known and in the works for over a year. However it seems like there should have been more "Public Awareness" about the new rules and regulations. Obviously DIY hunts in a foreign country can have disastrous results.

I dealt with two members of the NZ Police Force while getting my rifle cleared, and they were quite helpful and friendly. One, while i was doing the online clearance and one met me at the airport. This was before the change of government, though.

Social media will be the death of hunting! All the antis spend all their time sitting at computers and pushing their agendas while we go outside and hunt and enjoy nature.

Sorry for the rant

I dealt with two members of the NZ Police Force while getting my rifle cleared, and they were quite helpful and friendly. One, while i was doing the online clearance and one met me at the airport. This was before the change of government, though.

The change of government won't have made a difference to how the Policeman on the street helps you. The anti-firearm Police HQ has been around a long time and have been try to push their firearm agenda for years, before the change of Government. The current Government have not made any changes to firearm legislation.
The change for international visitors has been done by Police themselves.
All the individual Police officers I have dealt with have been very helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillGl

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg