NEW ZEALAND: Blooded The 6.5x57

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Australia & New Zealand' started by Von Gruff, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Von Gruff

Von Gruff AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    I have had a longstanding invitation to hunt a local property of about 3000 acres but have been so busy enjoying making my knives that I have kept putting it off, so gave my friend in Invercargill a ring last week and set us up for this week after clearing it with the property owner to designate this morning as D day (that is Deer day)
    The property is just 20 minutes from home so met Foster (who drove the hour and 40 min from Invercargill) at the turnoff to transfer his gear to my vehicle after which we headed down the gravel road and arrived at the first gate at just on 8am on a cold clear morning. A very still morning and as I had already decided on where two "older gentlemen" might stalk without the stress of hard walking, we started our stalk up a very long gully toward where the feed crops were on the top of the hill country. The morning air is constant in moving up hill as the day warms so we were hopefull of seeing one of the many fallow that have been seen coming from the forested areas within the proterty to feed on the winter feedcrops through the night and late into the morning.
    There was a reasonable amount of mud and wet areas on the walk up so this made for some effort expended with the result that my glasses kept fogging up so it was a constant wiping off and after about a 1/2 hour of slow walk and glass we came toward the basin at the head of the gully and saw the herd hind coming quickly down off the hill through the gully and dissapared into the forest. There were about 10 in the group with her but ehre was no slowing down for them, let alone stopping so no shot was offered. There was an uprooted tree and I quickly layed my rifle over the dirt and root system but with a lot of underbrush there was very little time to get on to them and they soon dissapared from sight. A quick wipe of my glasses and another group of 4 with a very nice buck sporting a decent head, but again there was no oportunity to take a shot with any sence of certainty. After another minute or two three animals doubled back with two stopping in the middle of the cut over area at 169m -185 yds, so a quick wipe of the fog on my glasses and I was able to get a reasonably steady hold and touched off the 140gn privi bullet at 2800fps. I saw the animal drop at the shot with the second one making a beeline for the ridge so Foster was not able to connect with it but having the one to carry out was going to be enough for the day so we made our way up to find him where he had dropped. It was a very large bodied spiker in excellent late winter condition with all the easy feed he had been on. He was a decent weight so it required a number of stops on the way back down to the truck with Foster and I taking turns to carry but even then these two older gentlemen were in no hurry so there were a couple of rest stops as well.

IMG_20180809_110619.jpg IMG_20180809_110525.jpg IMG_20180809_110454.jpg IMG_20180809_091224.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2018
    TMac, spike.t, ve7poi and 10 others like this.

2. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Beautiful country, well done

Von Gruff likes this.

3. stug

stug AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    NZ
    Well done, looks like a good eater.

Von Gruff likes this.

4. Von Gruff

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    Cheers Stug, will hang it for a week before breaking it down so expect it will about melt in the mouth.

Pheroze and Shootist43 like this.

5. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    I see you were finally able to squeeze in a hunt. You deserve a day off now and then. :):) Since this place is so close, have you and Foster made any plans for a return trip? Or will this fill your freezer?

6. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(2) New Zealand
    Looks like some great eating. Nicely done sir.
    Bruce

Von Gruff likes this.

7. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    Well done Garry! Must be nice to have such a place to hunt nearby your home.

Von Gruff likes this.

8. mikeinarkansas

mikeinarkansas AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Glad you got to hunt and good job! Getting out in the boondocks with a rifle is just medicine for the soul.

Von Gruff likes this.

9. Von Gruff

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    Thanks Art. It is about as close as it gets for hunting and we will go back later in the spring,(late september or october) but will also go back up into the high country after the goats from november on till may) where there are little mobs of animals and at times will mill arroubd when the shooting starts so it is not uncommon to get multiple animals and 4,5 or 6 at the one time from the same mob. Freezer usually is fairly healthy with meat and of course I have my few sheep and generally put 3 in the freezer a year

10. Hunting Sailor

Hunting Sailor SILVER SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAHGCA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Sweden, Austria
    Congratulations to you! Happy to hear the blooding went well. Looking at the mountains I realize the reason all the Kiwis I see are so fit. You will have to work for your prey in NZ.

//Gus

11. Edge

Edge AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    PA, NM, ND, Al, FL, MD, Eastern Cape South Africa, Zimbabwe x 2
    Congratulations and beautiful country!

Von Gruff likes this.

12. Von Gruff

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    You wouldn't have said that if you had heard some of the puffing going on at times Gus :):)

Hunting Sailor likes this.

13. BenKK

BenKK AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Nice hunt! Can you tell us about the two rifles?

Von Gruff likes this.

14. Von Gruff

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    This will tell you more about the rifle than you possibly want to know. It is the build thread and while it was originally going to be a 7x57, the barrel made me change horses to the 6.5x57 which I had always admired.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/a-1916-erfurt-small-ring-project.26236/

Fosters rifle is a ZG47 in 6.5x47

BenKK likes this.

15. AZDAVE

AZDAVE AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
    Congratz on the hunt and getting a new rifle into the field. Looks like you had a wonderful day out hunting and enjoying the splendor of the woods. nice table fare to be put up for the year.
    I really like the 6.5x55 but have never had the opportunity to shoot a 6.5x57.

16. Von Gruff

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    Thanks Dave. The 6.5 x 57 and x 55 will both give about the same performance if loaded to the same levels and the 140gn at 2800 or the 12ogn at 3000, there is potent performance to be had from these two cartridges.

yumastepside likes this.

17. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

those are good stiff loads.
    the 120 gn wt is sometimes overlooked but has a similar s.d. to a 130 gn 270 and 140 gn 7mm.
    a very useful middle ground weight, particularly having different construction bullets.
    there are 100 gn 6.5 bullets that also have a place for more than varmints.
    bruce.

18. Von Gruff

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    I have the 120gn TTSX tested on paper, but the 140gn Privi SP is accurate as well and works well on game. I have a good supply so will continue with them as I have always had a preference for a heavier rather than lighter bullet

19. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

you might find that the 120 gn barnes will outdo the 140 privi in some ways, as well as shooting flatter.
    in fact it might not offer as sudden results on smaller game, as the privy are reportedly quite soft.
    bruce.
    p.s. an enquiring mind needs to know.

20. Von Gruff

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    Shooting flatter is a relative term and only relevant if the shooting distance will make that a factor. I have never had to make a hold calculation with a 200yd zero for all my hunting has been where no shot has ever been taken over 250 yds and most being within 200yds. Yes the privi is a soft bullet but deer are soft skinned so the soft nose is perfectly adequate for the job.
    I use the 120gn SST in my 6.5 Grendel-Max for goats and have found it to be a very good bullet at the 2700fps it gets from my little wildcat catrtidge but I ike the 140gn in the 6.5x57 just as I prefered the 160gn in my 7x57's.