NEW ZEALAND: A Short Hunt, Some Epic Fly Fishing & A Little Touring On The South Island NZ

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Australia & New Zealand' started by firehuntfish, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    What a grand trip. The Mrs. shapes up to be a great partner for any outdoor activity.

Ridgewalker and firehuntfish like this.

2. MPN

MPN AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada, South Africa, New Zealand
    Fire, I too just returned from a hunt with Peter. I believe I followed yours, although mine was a wilderness Tahr hunt. I hunted for just four days and the rest of the three weeks we spent touring. NZ is an amazingly beautiful country with welcoming friendly people. Sounds like your time there was as enjoyable as ours.

firehuntfish likes this.

3. firehuntfish

firehuntfish AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI NRA QDMA NWTF TU DU
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Botswana, South Africa, USA, South, Central America & New Zealand
    Awesome...! Peter mentioned he had a client that referenced the AH.com site... When can we see the photos from your tahr hunt? Where else did you go in NZ?

4. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    DETAILS AND PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!!!

I leave in a little over a month to hunt red stag and tahr with Peter.

5. MPN

MPN AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada, South Africa, New Zealand
    8108E130-C258-4DBA-8390-4CC5DEE6DEF7.jpeg Just time for a quick summary...We toured the south island only. Started in Christchurch and via rental car made a big figure eight. Initially going west across the island and north to Able Tasman (beautiful park/ beaches/hiking, cruise) for a few days then back east and south through Kaikoura (good rock lobster at the Pier Hotel restaurant) back to Christchurch where I met up with Peter and his son Alistair for the hunt.
    After the hunt we went south and west to lake Tekapo, down to Te Anau(bused to Milford Sound for a cruise which Kipling called the 8th wonder of the world, Milford track here also considered one of the worlds top hikes). We then swung back north to Queenstown, Wanaka, west to the glaciers Fox and Franz Josef then back to Christchurch. A day or two in each location was sufficient, good well marked roads. Not a foodies paradise by any means, but we did find a few decent restaurants, English fare mostly.
    The hunt was an adventure, several hours driving up rock strewn river beds to the near headwaters and camp. Much time spent glassing the slopes from the river bed, once a good animal was located we made a plan and I was successful in taking a 7+ year old bull on day three of the hunt.
    Peter knows his business and will let you know that, will hunt as hard as you want, but be capable and competent.
    CED950B0-3650-4FF5-9B8D-19E50DC8BD55.jpeg

6. stug

stug AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    NZ
    Nice looking bull, well done!