Fred Gunner

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
New York Members Call to Arms:

New York Senator Tony Avella has re-introduced Senate Bill #1883-B. S1883-B is currently waiting action in the Senate Environmental Conservation Committee.

Senate Bill #1883-B Prohibits the importation, transportation, possession or sale of “The big five African species” Elephant, Lion, Leopard, White and Black Rhino. The bill does exclude Cape Buffalo.

SCI is calling on all sports-men and women who live in New York State to contact their State Senator and urge them to oppose Senate Bill 1883-B.

you can find your State Senator here:

https://www.nysenate.gov/senators-committees

This is the bill:

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2017/s1883#no

When are these guys going to get a clue and do something useful for their constituents. :A Blink:

When are these guys going to get a clue and do something useful for their constituents. :A Blink:
This will effect all hunters who need to import trophies through the New York Port Authority or JFK Int, Airport regardless for where the trophies are going. The Import Brokers and Taxidermists in New York State will also be hit.

I hope the guys doing the voting “Just Say No” to this bill.

The problem, unfortunately, is that state senators do have a clue, and they likely believe they are doing something for their constituents. I have little doubt if you took a vote in New York City (note I said City, but the numbers there outweigh the rest of the state) that this bill would pass, and likely by a substantial margin. This issue really doesn't impact most New Yorkers, and if they had to choose, they'd likely be swayed, as would many, to the anti side, generally because it's sold as being "nicer" to animals, and who doesn't want to be nicer to animals?

Equally, if as a legislator you vote in favour of such a bill, no one will be protesting at your office (we hunters are too polite for that). But if you vote against such a bill, you might find you are in fact the object of protests. And if there aren't any meaningful numbers of voters on the "kill the bill" side, why risk losing votes on an issue like this?

@Fred Gunner has the right approach - make them think there are in fact lots of votes to be lost by voting for this bill, whether that's true or not. And make sure your financial contributions follow the issues. If a representative or senator asks you for a donation, you are entitled to tell him or her that based on their voting record on issues such as this, you cannot support them financially or at the polls. In my experience, the antis are way ahead of us on this stuff, and most can tell you which politician is supportive of their agenda and which isn't. Hunters only get involved when we're threatened, by which time it's often too late. Ask yourself - do you know the position of those who represent you at every level on this issue? My guess is that most of us do not. Time to ask and make it clear, in a polite way, that there are consequences to positions taken.

But in addition to sending the note to your state senator, you - and those of us who are not New Yorkers - should send notes to SCI to ask them what they're prepared to do about this. This is where an organized group such as SCI needs to make its muscle felt. Or risk being viewed as lacking any real muscle.

It's not great for SCI if hunters think they lack muscle. But it's potentially disastrous for hunters if anti-hunters think SCI lacks muscle.

Two years ago we got this bill killed before it even came up for a full vote in the NYS Senate. Republicans (RINOs all) have a razor thin margin in the senate. We convinced the Senate President Pro-Tem to pull the bill, because clearly this bill is an Unconstitutional attempt by New York to impose it’s own laws regulating Interstate commerce usurping Federal authority. I'm sure the elections in November will shift the balance of power to the left. That why it's vital we kill this bill now.

Thanks for heads up. Will follow up and hope for the best, election year is going to be tough.

Message sent to my senator. I doubt seriously he will read it. I’ll get as I did the first time this bill was brought up a standard response letter thanking me for contacting him. Let’s hope this gets defeated once again.

Message sent to my senator. I doubt seriously he will read it. I’ll get as I did the first time this bill was brought up a standard response letter thanking me for contacting him. Let’s hope this gets defeated once again.
Outstanding Blue Johnny follow up with a real letter in the mail. They can't ignore paper mail somebody in their office must open it. It pays to be annoying in politics!
Thanks bro!

Usually, I think educating the congress is a waste of time. In this case, however, we need to tell them that to cease hunting the big 5 will lead to their rapid decline, and possible extinction. Even the most hard headed legislator cannot want that to happen. They simply don't know what the long range implications of their actions are..............tell them.........................FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,