Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
We don't realize just how fortunate we are to be able to hunt here on over the counter tags.

FOUND RAM IS NEW WORLD'S RECORD
FRIDAY, MARCH 06, 2015
A bighorn sheep killed in a highway collision in Alberta has the largest horns ever recorded for the species. Boone and Crockett Club measurers today certified the specimen as a new World’s Record.

The horns’ final score of 209-4/8 B&C points edged out the previous World’s Record, a ram taken near Luscar Mountain, Alberta, in 2000 that scores 208-3/8.

The new No. 1 ram was hit by a vehicle on a highway west of Longview, Alberta.

A local rancher who knew of the ram and found the animal on his property obtained a possession permit from Alberta Fish & Wildlife. He said, “This ram and a younger ram had lived on the ranch where I worked since 2009. The older ram would go down to the highway a couple times a month, but the younger ram would rarely follow. We always wondered if one of these trips to the highway would be his last.”

Boone and Crockett accepts and records legally obtained “pick up” (found) trophies as part of a complete record of native North American big game species. Other “pick up” World’s Records include the reigning No. 1 non-typical whitetail deer, tule elk, black bear, grizzly bear and Pacific walrus.

“When your job is tracking conservation and wildlife management successes, a new World’s Record is noteworthy – whether or not it was taken by a hunter,” said Richard Hale, chairman of the Club’s Big Game Records Committee. “Efforts to restore bighorn sheep populations are an amazing success story. The fact that these efforts are today producing some of the largest specimens ever recorded is worth reflecting on just how far these conservation efforts have come.”

Five of the Top 10 ranked bighorns in Boone and Crockett records are from Alberta. Hale offered congratulations to Alberta Fish and Game for programs that allow the province’s bighorns to grow to their fullest potential.

Remarkably, the new record ram was aged at 14 years.

World’s Record- and Top 10-class specimens are panel-scored for verification. A panel convened Sat., March 7, 2015, in Red Deer, Alberta. Two teams of two panel-experienced official measurers each scored the ram and arrived at the ram’s final score.

WRRam3.jpg

Source: Boone & Crockett boone-crockett.org/news/featured_story.asp?area=news

Wouldn't you of just loved a chance to hunt this ram. What a magnificent old warrior he is. Bruce

Saw that on the news a few days ago. What a ram!!

Wow, the way the girth carries through most of the length, he was a stud for sure!

Magnificent.

Thanks for posting.

Wouldn't you of just loved a chance to hunt this ram. What a magnificent old warrior he is. Bruce

I do get to hunt these areas. All public land and over the counter tags.
Just got to catch them.
:sneaky:

The very first year I ever bought a sheep tag I was out hunting and ran into this ones grampa. I had no clue how big the sheep was until I saw him inside a park standing beside a mature full curl ram.:rolleyes:
He had a bullet hole through his horn, very similar to the mark on this new WR.

I never found him outside a park again.

He was later taken by a hunter and scored 203 4/8.
He was known to the biologists as "Big Daddy".

Apparently he passed on some genes.

Now I know what a huge sheep looks like.

OK Brickburn. I sense more of a story here. You saw this ones grandpa, yet he is not on your wall. So no shot,missed. Would like to hear the rest of the story. Bruce

Rookie sheep hunter. :cry:
I did not know where the park boundary was and there was no way I was taking a chance.
Not worth the $100,000 fine.

Now I know where the lines are. ;)

OMG!!!! Sheep of a lifetime. So sorry Bruce

He really was a big boy!

That is a huge ram!!! Since this was found shouldn't the car that hit it get credit for the record, hahaha. What a Ram!! I dream about hunting them one day.

Brick, you are lucky to see a 200+ ram in a park or not, that had to be quite an experience!!

It was incredible to see an incredible animal like him.

The scary part is this countryside just keeps producing them.
They are out there.
Just have to get lucky again.

A trip down memory lane.

Something to compare him to. A typical full curl ram with a tight curl.
Big Daddyx.jpg

Big Daddy - Tending a Ewe He scored 203 4/8

Big Daddy2.jpg

This is what he looked like beside a full curl ram.
Big Daddy.jpg

It was incredible to see an incredible animal like him.

The scary part is this countryside just keeps producing them.
They are out there.
Just have to get lucky again.

A trip down memory lane.

Something to compare him to. A typical full curl ram with a tight curl.
View attachment 39131

Big Daddy - Tending a Ewe He scored 203 4/8

View attachment 39132

This is what he looked like beside a full curl ram.
View attachment 39133[/QUOTE)

I would be overjoyed to take the one in the top photo.

Amazing opportunity just to have the opportunity to take pictures.

Thanks for the photos.

The thing dreams are made of, I've applied for 35 years in as many as three states and still hope that this year will be the year!!

The thing dreams are made of, I've applied for 35 years in as many as three states and still hope that this year will be the year!!

The scary part up here is there are zones you have to apply and wait half your lifetime. These sheep are in a wide open over the counter zone. No draw, no waiting.
We are so lucky.

Damn, it just got that much harder for me to kill a new world record ram lol. What a pig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross