Platinum supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Just picked up my 1908 WR DR in 500 NE and shot 10 times as follows:
My objective was to check regulation since it did not come with any knowledge of the powder or load.
I used IMR3031 with the following loads with results at 60 yards
1. 80 grains: 3 inches
2. 81 grains: 2.5 inches
3. 82 grains: 2inches
4. 83 grains: 1.5 inches!!!

all of the above were shot off sticks at 60 yards and open sights so I am extremely happy to find the gun likes the 83 grain loads. Interesting my previous Sabatti in the same caliber regulated by Ken Owen liked the 80 grain load better. Just goes to show how temperamental a DR can be!

Huge congratulations!!!! Would love to see pictures of this beauty.

My objective was to check regulation since it did not come with any knowledge of the powder or load.

all of the above were shot off sticks at 60 yards and open sights so I am extremely happy to find the gun likes the 83 grain loads. Interesting my previous Sabatti in the same caliber regulated by Ken Owen liked the 80 grain load better. Just goes to show how temperamental a DR can be!
Wow, what a stroke of luck! I’ve heard some real horror stories from guys buying a pre-war double without regulation information. Can’t wait to see pics of the rifle. Congrats!

Well done, I don’t think you could’ve asked for better results.

Well congratulations ! Now onto booking an elephant hunt! ;)

Lucky I feel everyone!!!! Just shot it an hour ago and 83 grains it is within 1.5 inches. I am thrilled!!!
Great to hear you have the WR dialed in!

I promise I will be posting pictures! First I just sent it to JJ Perodeau to do the following:
1. A thorough check over
2. Better more visible front sight
3. A red dot set of rib indentions for Trijicon

when I get it back I promise full set of pictures coming

Looking forward to seeing it!

Congratz on finding a good load and on the first range session is very fortuitous. Look forward to seeing pic and heard your first hunt report with the new double. Westley Richard has always made one of the finest double out there.

Thanks Dave. My first 500 DR had been reregulated by Ken Owen and he used IMR3031 at 80 grains telling me it was the closest to cordite. So given my WR was over 100 years old I thought the same load was a great place to start and it was. 83 grains took me within 1.5 inches so I got very lucky. JJ Perodeau is looking the gun over now making a few adjustments. I should have it back soon and will post pictures. Look forward to seeing you and all our friends at DSC!

People have asked to see some pictures of my Westley Richards DR 500 NE I bought from France once I got it back from JJ Perodeau. I am terrible at taking pictures so please forgive me but it has the following:
1. I sent it to JJ to put on a new warthog front site, red dot ramp for my Trijicon site and he found it needed to have what he calls a Rejoint which he did.
2. According to JJ, it is now perfect and ready to go...$1400 later, lol! when you buy vintage DRs, you have to be prepared to spend money on them...I am thrilled with the results.
3. The wood is outstanding along with the metal coloring both of which I love.
4. With my IMR3031 at 83 grains shooting my Woodleigh 570 RN SN it shoots within 1.5 inches for regulation at 50 yards with more of a push for recoil which is fine.

The rifle was built in 1908 and I have the Westley Richards certification from their ledgers with a full recondition done about 5-10 years ago...somehow according to JJ they just neglected the joint which he quickly fixed good as new.

Taking her to Africa this August for buff and elephant!!!

IMG-0473 (1).jpg
IMG-0481.jpg
IMG-0478.jpg
IMG-0479.jpg
IMG-0477.jpg
IMG-0473.jpg
IMG-0476.jpg
IMG-0471.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
People have asked to see some pictures of my Westley Richards DR 500 NE I bought from France once I got it back from JJ Perodeau. I am terrible at taking pictures so please forgive me but it has the following:
1. I sent it to JJ to put on a new warthog front site, red dot ramp for my Trijicon site and he found it needed to have what he calls a Rejoint which he did.
2. According to JJ, it is now perfect and ready to go...$1400 later, lol! when you buy vintage DRs, you have to be prepared to spend money on them...I am thrilled with the results.
4. With my IMR3031 at 83 grains shooting my Woodleigh 570 RN SN it shoots within 1.5 inches for regulation at 50 yards with more of a push for recoil which is fine.

The rifle was built in 1908 and I have the Westley Richards certification from their ledgers with a full recondition done about 5-10 years ago...somehow according to JJ they just neglected the joint which he quickly fixed good as new.

View attachment 512086View attachment 512087View attachment 512088View attachment 512089View attachment 512090View attachment 512091View attachment 512092
Talk about functional artwork! Congratulations, @Rare Breed

Truly beautiful, well done. Good luck in Africa, easy to enjoy a safari with a double like that.

Rare Breed,

Congratulations, on the Westley Richards!!!! What a WONDERFUL Rifle. You must over the top with excitement and pride, as you should be, looks like it is also a gem of a shooter as well. Happy for you, it’s a very special thing when one takes over the stewardship of a Rifle like that.
May Diana smile on you when you take it afield.

JP

Absolutely gorgeous @Rare Breed. You have found a true treasure, well done! I'm very happy for you.
Can't wait to hear your stories of her in action!

View attachment 512086View attachment 512087View attachment 512088View attachment 512089View attachment 512090View attachment 512091View attachment 512092
Thats a stunner and a shooter. Like the perfect woman. Congrats mate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg