Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Nam, Zam, Zim,RSA (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, NZ, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
USDA inspecting all trophy shipments in ATL

About two weeks ago, I was notified by a RSA freight forwarder that my trophies were about to ship from JNB to IAH. I am using Coppersmith and this is the first time I am shipping completed taxidermy. All previous shipments have been D&P, so I figured this shipment would go much quicker and easier.

I was told that the crate was tentatively scheduled to ship from JNB on July 19. To my surprise, the crate got on an earlier flight and actually departed JNB on July 14 on Delta 201. The crate arrived ATL in the early morning of July 15.

Coppersmith (always great communication from them) informed me that the USDA vet in ATL has requested inspection of all trophy shipments, not just the D&P. Shippers have to schedule the inspection and there will be added fees for this. Coppersmith thought this might take as long as a week to clear ATL and then it can be transported to IAH and still has to clear USF&W and Customs. Once all this happens, I plan to pick the crate up myself at Coppersmith, located just south of IAH. The freight estimate to ship it 250 miles to Shreveport was $440, so I figure it was worth it to haul it myself. If the crate dimensions are accurate, it will fit in a pickup truck.

These are the trophies from my hunt, along with my daughter, with @Game 4 Africa Safaris in August 2018, so not quite a year from the hunt to receiving final trophies. We used a local taxi, Lauriston Taxidermy, for an Eland, Blue Wildebeest, Bushbuck x2, Warthog x2, Waterbuck and a Zebra rug.

You can guarantee the size of that crate will be spot on. That's how they get paid. :)

USDA inspecting all trophy shipments in ATL

About two weeks ago, I was notified by a RSA freight forwarder that my trophies were about to ship from JNB to IAH. I am using Coppersmith and this is the first time I am shipping completed taxidermy. All previous shipments have been D&P, so I figured this shipment would go much quicker and easier.

I was told that the crate was tentatively scheduled to ship from JNB on July 19. To my surprise, the crate got on an earlier flight and actually departed JNB on July 14 on Delta 201. The crate arrived ATL in the early morning of July 15.

Coppersmith (always great communication from them) informed me that the USDA vet in ATL has requested inspection of all trophy shipments, not just the D&P. Shippers have to schedule the inspection and there will be added fees for this. Coppersmith thought this might take as long as a week to clear ATL and then it can be transported to IAH and still has to clear USF&W and Customs. Once all this happens, I plan to pick the crate up myself at Coppersmith, located just south of IAH. The freight estimate to ship it 250 miles to Shreveport was $440, so I figure it was worth it to haul it myself. If the crate dimensions are accurate, it will fit in a pickup truck.

These are the trophies from my hunt, along with my daughter, with @Game 4 Africa Safaris in August 2018, so not quite a year from the hunt to receiving final trophies. We used a local taxi, Lauriston Taxidermy, for an Eland, Blue Wildebeest, Bushbuck x2, Warthog x2, Waterbuck and a Zebra rug.

I may be wrong, but this doesn't seem like news to me. In the past as I recall, all my taxidermy which was done in RSA, had to clear Customs, USFWS and USDA.

According to Coppersmith, the new part is the USDA inspection. You are correct that Customs and the USFWS part is standard practice. As I mentioned, all my prior shipments were D&P and they had to have the USDA inspection. I was under the impression that finished taxidermy could be imported direct and didn't require the USDA inspection.

According to Coppersmith, the new part is the USDA inspection. You are correct that Customs and the USFWS part is standard practice. As I mentioned, all my prior shipments were D&P and they had to have the USDA inspection. I was under the impression that finished taxidermy could be imported direct and didn't require the USDA inspection.

Had all of my taxidermy done in RSA and every shipment had to pass USDA first, albeit I think it was a rubber stamp deal IF the paperwork was 100% in order. IIRC, even the crate wood had to have paperwork.

Looking forward to seeing your completed trophies

Probably the warthog that gets USDA involved. Swine and primates D&P have to go to USDA taxidermist. Congrats on getting it so quickly. Please let us know how it all looks.
Philip

I plan for my next trip over to forgo the joys o_O:confused::eek: of having anything shipped home, going to just do photos I think. I have no more room, have zero desire to build a trophy room addition to my house, no desire to deal with this kind of baloney anymore, plus the large amount of dollars on both ends and especially stateside taxidermy.
I have enough heads taking up wall space already, most are in the garage/loading room/shop.:)

I plan for my next trip over to forgo the joys o_O:confused::eek: of having anything shipped home, going to just do photos I think. I have no more room, have zero desire to build a trophy room addition to my house, no desire to deal with this kind of baloney anymore, plus the large amount of dollars on both ends and especially stateside taxidermy.
I have enough heads taking up wall space already, most are in the garage/loading room/shop.:)
I'm going on my first trip next year and I'm considering doing just photos for all the reasons you mentioned.. I might ship a zebra skin/cape (what's the correct term?) to put on a wall surround by what I hope will be photos of about a half dozen other animals. Still deciding.....

Bear in mind I have been more than a few times and cherish the ones I did bring home, especially from the first few trips. If you plan to bring back anything, you may as well bring it all back on your first trip over. Its costly but hey you only go around once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vilianagmp

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg