Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY, Canada (Yukon)
USDA inspecting all trophy shipments in ATL

About two weeks ago, I was notified by a RSA freight forwarder that my trophies were about to ship from JNB to IAH. I am using Coppersmith and this is the first time I am shipping completed taxidermy. All previous shipments have been D&P, so I figured this shipment would go much quicker and easier.

I was told that the crate was tentatively scheduled to ship from JNB on July 19. To my surprise, the crate got on an earlier flight and actually departed JNB on July 14 on Delta 201. The crate arrived ATL in the early morning of July 15.

Coppersmith (always great communication from them) informed me that the USDA vet in ATL has requested inspection of all trophy shipments, not just the D&P. Shippers have to schedule the inspection and there will be added fees for this. Coppersmith thought this might take as long as a week to clear ATL and then it can be transported to IAH and still has to clear USF&W and Customs. Once all this happens, I plan to pick the crate up myself at Coppersmith, located just south of IAH. The freight estimate to ship it 250 miles to Shreveport was $440, so I figure it was worth it to haul it myself. If the crate dimensions are accurate, it will fit in a pickup truck.

These are the trophies from my hunt, along with my daughter, with @Game 4 Africa Safaris in August 2018, so not quite a year from the hunt to receiving final trophies. We used a local taxi, Lauriston Taxidermy, for an Eland, Blue Wildebeest, Bushbuck x2, Warthog x2, Waterbuck and a Zebra rug.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
You can guarantee the size of that crate will be spot on. That's how they get paid. :)

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
USDA inspecting all trophy shipments in ATL

About two weeks ago, I was notified by a RSA freight forwarder that my trophies were about to ship from JNB to IAH. I am using Coppersmith and this is the first time I am shipping completed taxidermy. All previous shipments have been D&P, so I figured this shipment would go much quicker and easier.

I was told that the crate was tentatively scheduled to ship from JNB on July 19. To my surprise, the crate got on an earlier flight and actually departed JNB on July 14 on Delta 201. The crate arrived ATL in the early morning of July 15.

Coppersmith (always great communication from them) informed me that the USDA vet in ATL has requested inspection of all trophy shipments, not just the D&P. Shippers have to schedule the inspection and there will be added fees for this. Coppersmith thought this might take as long as a week to clear ATL and then it can be transported to IAH and still has to clear USF&W and Customs. Once all this happens, I plan to pick the crate up myself at Coppersmith, located just south of IAH. The freight estimate to ship it 250 miles to Shreveport was $440, so I figure it was worth it to haul it myself. If the crate dimensions are accurate, it will fit in a pickup truck.

These are the trophies from my hunt, along with my daughter, with @Game 4 Africa Safaris in August 2018, so not quite a year from the hunt to receiving final trophies. We used a local taxi, Lauriston Taxidermy, for an Eland, Blue Wildebeest, Bushbuck x2, Warthog x2, Waterbuck and a Zebra rug.

I may be wrong, but this doesn't seem like news to me. In the past as I recall, all my taxidermy which was done in RSA, had to clear Customs, USFWS and USDA.

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY, Canada (Yukon)
According to Coppersmith, the new part is the USDA inspection. You are correct that Customs and the USFWS part is standard practice. As I mentioned, all my prior shipments were D&P and they had to have the USDA inspection. I was under the impression that finished taxidermy could be imported direct and didn't require the USDA inspection.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
According to Coppersmith, the new part is the USDA inspection. You are correct that Customs and the USFWS part is standard practice. As I mentioned, all my prior shipments were D&P and they had to have the USDA inspection. I was under the impression that finished taxidermy could be imported direct and didn't require the USDA inspection.

Had all of my taxidermy done in RSA and every shipment had to pass USDA first, albeit I think it was a rubber stamp deal IF the paperwork was 100% in order. IIRC, even the crate wood had to have paperwork.

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Looking forward to seeing your completed trophies

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Probably the warthog that gets USDA involved. Swine and primates D&P have to go to USDA taxidermist. Congrats on getting it so quickly. Please let us know how it all looks.
Philip

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
I plan for my next trip over to forgo the joys o_O:confused::eek: of having anything shipped home, going to just do photos I think. I have no more room, have zero desire to build a trophy room addition to my house, no desire to deal with this kind of baloney anymore, plus the large amount of dollars on both ends and especially stateside taxidermy.
I have enough heads taking up wall space already, most are in the garage/loading room/shop.:)

Bonk

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life Member NRA
I plan for my next trip over to forgo the joys o_O:confused::eek: of having anything shipped home, going to just do photos I think. I have no more room, have zero desire to build a trophy room addition to my house, no desire to deal with this kind of baloney anymore, plus the large amount of dollars on both ends and especially stateside taxidermy.
I have enough heads taking up wall space already, most are in the garage/loading room/shop.:)
I'm going on my first trip next year and I'm considering doing just photos for all the reasons you mentioned.. I might ship a zebra skin/cape (what's the correct term?) to put on a wall surround by what I hope will be photos of about a half dozen other animals. Still deciding.....

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Bear in mind I have been more than a few times and cherish the ones I did bring home, especially from the first few trips. If you plan to bring back anything, you may as well bring it all back on your first trip over. Its costly but hey you only go around once.

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitchel76S

Latest profile posts

Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.