Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Hungary, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
For a number of years, I owned a 1941 Chevy truck. It was all original which was cool but that meant it had a non-synchronized transmission and an engine with horsepower that barely reached three digits. I finally found someone eager to take over its stewardship about six-months ago, and had been on the look out for a Defender in good shape. Instead, I stumbled across this old oriental girl a few days ago. It was originally the same Toyoda Voodoo Blue. It's engine and drive train were replaced by a 70's era cruiser system with the larger 4.2 L straight six. It doesn't drive exactly like Nancy's Range Rover, but it is definitely a step up from the '41 Chevy that approached self-destruct velocity at 40 mph. o_O

toyoda.jpg

Plus the color closely matches my shockingly blue eyes..... :cool:

Though I think I am going to have to add an under dash AC unit for south central Texas.

Last edited:
Beautiful rig Joe!

Very, very nice. A highlift jack and/or a winch are probably the best accessories you can add. The FJ will take you where you want to go, the winch will make sure you can get back.

I think most of the PHs and Outfitters, here on AH, are supportive of the selection of a Toyota over a Land Rover.

Sweet

Good looking rig and very capable.

Will this be a working vehicle for you?
Meaning...a daily driver or more of a Sunday driver?

For a number of years, I owned a 1941 Chevy truck. It was all original which was cool but that meant it had a non-synchronized transmission and an engine with horsepower that barely reached three digits. I finally found someone eager to take over its stewardship about six-months ago, and had been on the look out for a Defender in good shape. Instead, I stumbled across this old oriental girl a few days ago. It was originally the same Toyoda Voodoo Blue. It's engine and drive train were replaced by a 70's era cruiser system with the larger 4.2 L straight six. It doesn't drive exactly like Nancy's Range Rover, but it is definitely a step up from the '41 Chevy that approached self-destruct velocity at 40 mph. o_O

View attachment 372608

Though I think I am going to have to add an under dash AC unit for south central Texas.
Nice! Are you going to drive it to DSC and the AH banquet? I bet you could sell rides....

Good looking rig and very capable.

Will this be a working vehicle for you?
Meaning...a daily driver or more of a Sunday driver?
Honestly, probably more of a a run to Georgetown, Salado, and Taylor type vehicle. (I am retired, and other than serving as slave labor on our little piece of Texas, I do not do “work.”) Did take corn to the feeder in it this morning. Sure as hell driving to the polling place in it.

Last edited:
I think most of the PHs and Outfitters, here on AH, are supportive of the selection of a Toyota over a Land Rover.

You’ve hit the nail on the head with that.

Lovely vehicle. May you have many pleasant miles in her. The 4.2 is a great engin, which will keep going forever.

I recently connected with a kudu with my 79 Cruiser double cab. Thank goodness for a proper Ausie TJM bumper. Being without a bakkie (pickup) for three weeks, with the repairs has me searching the web feverishly for a nice FJ45 to run around town and use as a backup 4x4.

Baiting bushpigs in marshy sugarcane lands with buckets of fermented maize, guts and rotten compound food spilling in your wife’s new Rav4 is a sure way to end up sleeping on the couch and spending a month in the dogbox... don’t ask me how I know that...

Red Leg, from a drivability standpoint it is certainly a step up from your trusty old Ford. But I can't help but think and say that it reminds me of a WWII Jeep in "Sunday go to Meeting Clothes."

Red Leg, from a drivability standpoint it is certainly a step up from your trusty old Ford. But I can't help but think and say that it reminds me of a WWII Jeep in "Sunday go to Meeting Clothes."
Because that is exactly what it is - or at least the Japanese interpretation of that vehicle.

View attachment 372608

I bought one in the same color, new, in 1978. It was one of the first diesel Toys in BC . Great rig. Sold it for what I paid a few years later to help finance an extended trip to South America. Always wanted another. But this is my hunting rig now. Congratulations!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 372608

Here is a photo from around 1980 of my Toyo. That's me and my wife. Yep, still married.

IMG_1529.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you