Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Hungary, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
For a number of years, I owned a 1941 Chevy truck. It was all original which was cool but that meant it had a non-synchronized transmission and an engine with horsepower that barely reached three digits. I finally found someone eager to take over its stewardship about six-months ago, and had been on the look out for a Defender in good shape. Instead, I stumbled across this old oriental girl a few days ago. It was originally the same Toyoda Voodoo Blue. It's engine and drive train were replaced by a 70's era cruiser system with the larger 4.2 L straight six. It doesn't drive exactly like Nancy's Range Rover, but it is definitely a step up from the '41 Chevy that approached self-destruct velocity at 40 mph. o_O

toyoda.jpg

Plus the color closely matches my shockingly blue eyes..... :cool:

Though I think I am going to have to add an under dash AC unit for south central Texas.

Last edited:
Beautiful rig Joe!

Very, very nice. A highlift jack and/or a winch are probably the best accessories you can add. The FJ will take you where you want to go, the winch will make sure you can get back.

I think most of the PHs and Outfitters, here on AH, are supportive of the selection of a Toyota over a Land Rover.

Sweet

Good looking rig and very capable.

Will this be a working vehicle for you?
Meaning...a daily driver or more of a Sunday driver?

For a number of years, I owned a 1941 Chevy truck. It was all original which was cool but that meant it had a non-synchronized transmission and an engine with horsepower that barely reached three digits. I finally found someone eager to take over its stewardship about six-months ago, and had been on the look out for a Defender in good shape. Instead, I stumbled across this old oriental girl a few days ago. It was originally the same Toyoda Voodoo Blue. It's engine and drive train were replaced by a 70's era cruiser system with the larger 4.2 L straight six. It doesn't drive exactly like Nancy's Range Rover, but it is definitely a step up from the '41 Chevy that approached self-destruct velocity at 40 mph. o_O

View attachment 372608

Though I think I am going to have to add an under dash AC unit for south central Texas.
Nice! Are you going to drive it to DSC and the AH banquet? I bet you could sell rides....

Good looking rig and very capable.

Will this be a working vehicle for you?
Meaning...a daily driver or more of a Sunday driver?
Honestly, probably more of a a run to Georgetown, Salado, and Taylor type vehicle. (I am retired, and other than serving as slave labor on our little piece of Texas, I do not do “work.”) Did take corn to the feeder in it this morning. Sure as hell driving to the polling place in it.

Last edited:
I think most of the PHs and Outfitters, here on AH, are supportive of the selection of a Toyota over a Land Rover.

You’ve hit the nail on the head with that.

Lovely vehicle. May you have many pleasant miles in her. The 4.2 is a great engin, which will keep going forever.

I recently connected with a kudu with my 79 Cruiser double cab. Thank goodness for a proper Ausie TJM bumper. Being without a bakkie (pickup) for three weeks, with the repairs has me searching the web feverishly for a nice FJ45 to run around town and use as a backup 4x4.

Baiting bushpigs in marshy sugarcane lands with buckets of fermented maize, guts and rotten compound food spilling in your wife’s new Rav4 is a sure way to end up sleeping on the couch and spending a month in the dogbox... don’t ask me how I know that...

Red Leg, from a drivability standpoint it is certainly a step up from your trusty old Ford. But I can't help but think and say that it reminds me of a WWII Jeep in "Sunday go to Meeting Clothes."

Red Leg, from a drivability standpoint it is certainly a step up from your trusty old Ford. But I can't help but think and say that it reminds me of a WWII Jeep in "Sunday go to Meeting Clothes."
Because that is exactly what it is - or at least the Japanese interpretation of that vehicle.

View attachment 372608

I bought one in the same color, new, in 1978. It was one of the first diesel Toys in BC . Great rig. Sold it for what I paid a few years later to help finance an extended trip to South America. Always wanted another. But this is my hunting rig now. Congratulations!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 372608

Here is a photo from around 1980 of my Toyo. That's me and my wife. Yep, still married.

IMG_1529.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg