New to the Forum

CountingCoo

Reaction score
Member of
RMEF
Hunted
Namibia
Hello,

My name is Clayton and I'm new to the forum. I'm a lifelong big game hunter and live in the Western US. I've long had a love for the classic commercial Mauser sporting rifles and have wanted to build my first custom rifle in that style. I've been sitting on an unissued Persian Mauser barreled action some time, and I'm ready to start moving forward with my dream. I want to build a 9.3x62, with open sights and put it to use on a trip to Australia for scrub bulls and pigs for a start. This is kind of what I have in mind; a simple, elegant working rifle with classic lines.

D15194A_a602eb1d-3353-4d47-9d79-c769784bb7ab__73419.jpg

Hoping to find a good gunsmith to do the metal work and re-barreling and then I'll worry about the stock.

12313800_10206299888471127_2880785460173175474_n_10206299888471127.jpg

If anyone has a suggestion for a reliable gunsmith that's good with Mauser actions I'd welcome some suggestions. I've read too many horror stories concerning smiths that take years to complete work. I've got a lot of learning to do as I move through this process and that should be fun!

-Clayton

Welcome Clayton,

I carried a 9.3x62 for several years - was an excellent cat calibre.

Mauser you beaut!

Welcome to AH! Wish I could help you with a name for a gunsmith, but best of luck with your project.

Welcome to AH Clayton!

:S Welcome:

Welcome to AH, lots of help here, I’m sure someone will pop up with a recommendation!
My best always
Jaco

Hello and welcome!

Giday Clayton and welcome to the A H forums where there is sure to be someone from the ID surrounds who can reccomend a compatent Mauser gunsmith.

Welcome to AH, Clayton!

Welcome!

I suggest that you go to the American Custom Gunmaker's Guild website. You'll find a long list (and info) of well qualified metalsmiths and you can talk to the ones that you think have what you want.

Welcome to AH!

Roger Ferrel (May have spelled his last name wrong) from the American Custom Gunmaker's Guild is who rebarreld my FN mauser action to a 9.3x62 with a tapered octagon barrel. Canyon Creek Gunstocks also does fine work on stocks.

Welcome to AH.

Hey Clayton- Welcome to the fold

As someone who is currently involved with a gunsmith nightmare; I have no experience with RJ Renner as of yet.

But other users have had excellent results and if I could go back in time I would have used him.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 9.36.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 9.36.30 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 9.36.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 9.36.33 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 9.36.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 9.36.36 AM.png
    934.5 KB · Views: 38
Hi Clayton, welcome to the Dark Side ooops Africa Hunting :Shamefullyembarrased:. Should be a nice project. Be aware that the term 'Persian Mauser' covers a wide range of actions. Several were intermediate lengths. Before sending of to a gunsmith, check to see if your action will fit the 9.3x62 cartridge length. Also be aware that many 'Persian Mausers' had action rings that were large ring OD (1.410") but threaded for small ring barrel shank (0.980"). If your gunsmith knows what he's doing then he'll be able to advise.

Hello,

My name is Clayton and I'm new to the forum. I'm a lifelong big game hunter and live in the Western US. I've long had a love for the classic commercial Mauser sporting rifles and have wanted to build my first custom rifle in that style. I've been sitting on an unissued Persian Mauser barreled action some time, and I'm ready to start moving forward with my dream. I want to build a 9.3x62, with open sights and put it to use on a trip to Australia for scrub bulls and pigs for a start. This is kind of what I have in mind; a simple, elegant working rifle with classic lines.

View attachment 503345

Hoping to find a good gunsmith to do the metal work and re-barreling and then I'll worry about the stock.

View attachment 503346

If anyone has a suggestion for a reliable gunsmith that's good with Mauser actions I'd welcome some suggestions. I've read too many horror stories concerning smiths that take years to complete work. I've got a lot of learning to do as I move through this process and that should be fun!

-Clayton
I would absolutely recommend Ed LaPour in Bremerton, Washington. He has done several jobs for me and built my .300 Win Mag on a Mark X Mauser action that I have been very happy with. Sports Afield even did an article about him a couple of years ago. They called him "a master metal smith." He knows his stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois