CLICKBANGBANG

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI. WSF. DU. NRA.
Hunted
CA. OR. WY. NV. TX. ID.
Newb here! I thought I'd drop a quick hello thread. I just registered to begin studying up on getting out to hunt Africa. I've done a lot of traveling, but have never had a gun. Just shooting the Cannon Rebel. I hope to take the Winchester back before too long.

I've spent a week scrolling and re scrolling through the pictures forum and have really enjoyed what others have posted. Some here have had some amazing hunts. I'm still trying to soak up what I can from the forum. It will be a long road to Africa (er... flight I guess), but I do enjoy the research and planning of the hunt.

This year all I've hunted is pronghorn antelope in Wyoming. I was able to kill a nice 79" buck that I euro mounted myself. We are in the duck/ geese season here in Northern California. Having fun out in the wetlands. I'll do a spring pig hunt after the holiday season not far from where I live.

I am planning for an Aoudad hunt in Tx this coming year (2017). I'm told by the outfitter that I'll need a good pair of warm weather mountain boots to put many miles on. Can't wait.

Sounds like you are getting the practice and research in.

You'll be in Africa soon enough.

Welcome.

Welcome, I did a free range aoudad hunt some years ago, I must tell you it is one of my most fondest memories when it comes to hunting probably the most underated big game animals in North America. Good luck. Look forward to your report and pictures.

IMG_0800.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you are getting the practice and research in.

You'll be in Africa soon enough.

Welcome.

Thank you for the welcome!

I'm plenty young to wait a bit to get everything in order. It just feels like it's taking forever! I also need my son to put a few years on. He will be my hunting partner. I'm hoping to be able to stall until he's able to travel with me and hunt along side on the safari.

Welcome, I did a free range aoudad hunt some years ago, I must tell you it is one of my most fondest memories when it comes to hunting probably the most underated big game animals in North America. Good luck. Look forward to your report and pictures.

I remember seeing that big ram posted here. Very nice! Great looking animal. And the unique mount is very fitting for the Aoudad. Until I started researching Africa, and then some of the exotics that we have here stateside, I never knew they were doing so well in the US. That's sort of what lead me to the Pronghorn. I love the colors, and unmistakable horns. I think it's a North America native exotic.

This is my "poor man, no points" sheep hunt. I have elk points building in Oregon and Wy. But unless I win the <1 at the Sheep Show convention in Reno, it's unlikely I'll do a full curl mountain sheep hunt.

The outfitter I'm looking to go with has privet ranch property that is a free range, no fence/ no feeder hunt. That's what I want. A true free range Aoudad.

Thank you for the welcome!

I'm plenty young to wait a bit to get everything in order. It just feels like it's taking forever! I also need my son to put a few years on. He will be my hunting partner. I'm hoping to be able to stall until he's able to travel with me and hunt along side on the safari.

I remember seeing that big ram posted here. Very nice! Great looking animal. And the unique mount is very fitting for the Aoudad. Until I started researching Africa, and then some of the exotics that we have here stateside, I never knew they were doing so well in the US. That's sort of what lead me to the Pronghorn. I love the colors, and unmistakable horns. I think it's a North America native exotic.

This is my "poor man, no points" sheep hunt. I have elk points building in Oregon and Wy. But unless I win the <1 at the Sheep Show convention in Reno, it's unlikely I'll do a full curl mountain sheep hunt.

The outfitter I'm looking to go with has privet ranch property that is a free range, no fence/ no feeder hunt. That's what I want. A true free range Aoudad.
I'm sure you will have a great hunt. Look forward to your report.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to AH, great munch of folks here that are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to hunting any corner of the earth.
I've got to agree with you on pronghorn, they are an awesome animal. For some reason this is the only one I've ever mounted. I loved the curls on him.
Cheers,
Cody

image.jpeg

:S Welcome:

Welcome to AH sir!

Welcome to AH, great munch of folks here that are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to hunting any corner of the earth.
I've got to agree with you on pronghorn, they are an awesome animal. For some reason this is the only one I've ever mounted. I loved the curls on him.
Cheers,
Cody

View attachment 161953

Thanks! Seems to be a great group of people! Loving the info so far. I'm on a few forums, and some get a little rowdy. This place seems to be a cut above, or higher class of hunter. Maybe the safari type of hunter is a more civilized outdoorsman society... Time will tell I suppose. I'm surprised at how many have made multiple trips to different countries. Awesome to see guys taking these amazing hunt trips!

That antelope does have some good curl to him! They hook and point strait down. Good looking mount. I think they make great mounts. Not too big, and they show well. If only the little buggers didn't stink so bad when you shoot them!

The black face, dark unique horn shape, white underbelly, and cheverons on the neck and chest have always think that they are an attractive animal. Ever since I was a child, I've liked their appearance. Along with the Buffalo, antelope are a great representation of American plains game. I've only taken the one, but had a great time on the trip, and will be back to do it again. Because of the plentiful game to view, and ease of the hunt, maybe I'll take my wife, or do a father/ daughter hunt. :)

Since we are having fun with pics, I'll see if my image format is correct below. He's got nice mass, good cutters, and a little non typical twist to his horns as he fishes. Doesn't go B&C, but I'm very proud of him and the breakfast sausage is eating well. ;)

For the details guy's... Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor with Sightron 3-16x 42. Using Copper Creek 130 grain Berger VLD Hunter. Bang/ flop at a hair under 200 yards, through and through making soup out of the lungs.

2prtmx2.jpg

ve7iip.jpg

vwzslv.jpg

Attachments

• 2prtmx2.jpg
    2prtmx2.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 714
  • ve7iip.jpg
    ve7iip.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 549
  • vwzslv.jpg
    vwzslv.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 457
Thanks! Seems to be a great group of people! Loving the info so far. I'm on a few forums, and some get a little rowdy. This place seems to be a cut above, or higher class of hunter. Maybe the safari type of hunter is a more civilized outdoorsman society... Time will tell I suppose. I'm surprised at how many have made multiple trips to different countries. Awesome to see guys taking these amazing hunt trips!

That antelope does have some good curl to him! They hook and point strait down. Good looking mount. I think they make great mounts. Not too big, and they show well. If only the little buggers didn't stink so bad when you shoot them!

The black face, dark unique horn shape, white underbelly, and cheverons on the neck and chest have always think that they are an attractive animal. Ever since I was a child, I've liked their appearance. Along with the Buffalo, antelope are a great representation of American plains game. I've only taken the one, but had a great time on the trip, and will be back to do it again. Because of the plentiful game to view, and ease of the hunt, maybe I'll take my wife, or do a father/ daughter hunt. :)

Since we are having fun with pics, I'll see if my image format is correct below. He's got nice mass, good cutters, and a little non typical twist to his horns as he fishes. Doesn't go B&C, but I'm very proud of him and the breakfast sausage is eating well. ;)

For the details guy's... Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor with Sightron 3-16x 42. Using Copper Creek 130 grain Berger VLD Hunter. Bang/ flop at a hair under 200 yards, through and through making soup out of the lungs.

2prtmx2.jpg

ve7iip.jpg

vwzslv.jpg

Your pronghorn is a stud for sure with lots of character. Awesome!!

Here is mine from a couple years ago...

IMG_0271.JPG

DSC_7589.JPG

Welcome and enjoy AH.

Welcome to AH CLICKBANGBANG! Good to have you on the site.

Welcome to AH !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg